Backup

A place to discuss the testing process in beta cycles or against SVN for the CMS Made Simple CORE package.

How do you backup your CMS website?

databasebackup module
No votes
direct mysqldump commands
9%
like 2) but in cron job
36%
phpmysqladmin (in control panel)
18%
not, and pray for nothing bad to happen
36%

Total votes: 11

jelle

Backup

Post by jelle »

Ok, I admid, i don't make backups very often(yet). But with this vps I rented for myself I tought I'd change that. So bring on the module for backups! Except that it does not work and barfs at some unknown function.
So maybe there arent' that many people trying to do backups with this module?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Backup

Post by calguy1000 »

I prefer to use an external backup, and have written scripts to help a) make the backups, and put them into a directory, and then b) clean up that directory after so many backups are created, or delete all files older than N days.

these scripts are both executed via cron, and work nicely, I have another that I am building (if I can find it again) that uses rsync to duplicate the files to a certain directory on another machine.

I backup not only the database, but the entire cms instalation (handles images, and uploads, etc).
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Well, in other related news, I did fix the Backup module.  I didn't cut a new release of it yet... and forgot to ask people to test it.

So, if you're feeling saucy, please do.  :)
jelle

Post by jelle »

please translate 'feeling saucy'?
I prefer roux based sauces, but I don't think that is the proper answer.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Feeling crazy, spontaneous..  hell, bored...
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

By request here's the scripts I use.

I've also included the scripts that go into my /etc/cron.daily directory

the scripts are:
  a) a script to do a backup of one or more databases and compress the file into a .gz file in a given directory
  b) a script to do backups of the website itself
  c) a script to cleanup a backup directory, to delete files older than N days, or to keep a maximum of N files in the directory.

No warrantee implied or expressed, your mileage may varry.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
jelle

Post by jelle »

Thanks Calguy!

And to state the obvious question, you have used these backups to restore a site, didn't you?

Return to “[locked] Quality Assurance”