More structure suggestions.

Discussion of the documentation project.
Matt Jason H
Forum Members
Forum Members

More structure suggestions.

Post by Matt Jason H »

Since I've joined the documentation team, I thought I'd chip in with a few suggestions.

I always find the best documentation serves two purposes, first as a clearly structured reference, and second as a step by step guide to building a site that uses all the features as both an example and a tutorial.

For example you'd start by installing, then by making a template, then perhaps by adding a stylesheet, then you'd add content, edit content, etc

I like the structure proposals that have gone before this so what I guess i'm really saying is perhaps we should figure out an example site which will use every feature of the CMS and document the construction of this site step by step through the documentation. That way we have a double, or heck, even a treble edged sword.

Another thing we must be mindful of is the fact that tasks are often delegated to different users, and so we need to make the sections stand on their own as well, for example a server admin might install the CMS, then a designer might come and make a template, then a staff member might fill the content in, then a coder might add a fancy feature, etc

Just thought I'd chip in with my suggestions before the documentation project starts in earnest.
nils73
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: More structure suggestions.

Post by nils73 »

That is how the structure was planned .. but now we have two structures and since I just returned from my holiday I am a little bit confused. But still willing to contribute. So now that Acrim and kishman have picked up the campaign I would like to send either of you what I have already as a pdf-handbook (in German right now) ... but I can translate it if neccessary.

Regards,
Nils
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Nils,

Sorry, I didn't know you were on holiday.  I just saw that you hadn't been around for a few weeks, and just figured (since it's happened to me a few times already) that I needed to start looking for other people.  So, blame that bad assumption on me.  I apologize for that.

My suggestion would be to jump on IRC when you have some time and talk to acrim.  I'd like to do whatever I have to do to get the documentation project moving in a forward direction, so the more people on it, the better.  I don't want to create hard feelings, so any kind of sctructure comprimises would be good, and if it gets things moving forward, even better.

Thanks so much!
nils73
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nils73 »

wishy,

don't get me wrong, but I perfectly agree with you. Things need to move on and I am d'accord with whatever structure is going to be it. However, I am not on IRC anymore because of many reasons. But it's good to know that acrim is around and kishman as well. I am going to contribute to the new structure then --- no need to make things too complicated. I will translate my german handbook into english step by step and post the content here so that people will be able to review it and transfer it to the docs. Seems that this is the way it works now and I think it is a good idea.

Regards,
Nils
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

That works for me.

Thanks!

Return to “[locked] Documentation0ld”