CMSMS V2.20 OneEleven Admin theme still has deprecated code

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
SpectrumWebProducts

CMSMS V2.20 OneEleven Admin theme still has deprecated code

Post by SpectrumWebProducts »

Various templates in the OneEleven admin still use "Count" and that is causing PHP Deprecated warnings.

Templates I've found that have this issue:

changeusergroup.tpl
changegroupperm.tpl
systeminfo.txt.tpl

I've tried using php.ini to suppress these - that works on the front end but not in the admin.

Can the admin be updated to clear these errors please?
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: CMSMS V2.20 OneEleven Admin theme still has deprecated code

Post by Jo Morg »

Warnings are not errors, and are there for a reason. These deprecation warnings are being triggered by Smarty and have the purpose to warn the developers that things will change in the future versions of Smarty. The way we are going to handle these changes are still under debate and we are not yet sure how we will approach them without either breaking every CMSMS installation, removing features from the palette of tools the frontend developer has with CMSMS++Smarty combo, or implementing replacements ourselves and having to support them in the future (reason why Smarty is removing the features to begin with, to not have to support them when PHP changes its syntax on some functions which would break the corresponding modifiers as it happened before already). And any of the options comes at a price. So while not pressured to take an immediate decision, we well have to do so in the future. But the deprecation warnings are not something we have to "fix" as they are not errors per se.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
SpectrumWebProducts

Hi, thanks for the update, I'm more than happy with the explanation, and am a massive fan of CMS Made Simple.

The problem I have is that I can't upgrade to 2.20 on sites where my clients access the CMS as the error messages make it look like there's something wrong.

php.ini doesn't stop these errors appearing in the admin - can you advise other things i can try so that they can't be seen? (probably my lack of knowledge at play here)

Thanks.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

You should be able to add the following to your php.ini or .user.ini:
display_errors = Off

Additionally, you may want to ask your host what the best method to control the error_reporting level if your settings aren't applying to all areas. php.ini generally shouldn't affect the frontend differently than the backend, unless you have something else in /admin (another php.ini, .htaccess, or similar that is overriding it.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

SpectrumWebProducts wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:33 pm php.ini doesn't stop these errors appearing in the admin - can you advise other things i can try so that they can't be seen? (probably my lack of knowledge at play here)
Well, it should! Maybe the server configuration considers the index.php under the admin folder as a different script environment and may require its own php.ini or user.ini file with separate settings?
It may depend on each hosting provider and even may be different from server to server.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
SpectrumWebProducts

Sorted, for now at least. On my host (Siteground) the solution was to turn off front end error reporting via .htaccess in both the main root directory and the admin directory.

Thanks for your help on this,

Return to “CMSMS Core”