Can't Find Templates

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
ep2002
Forum Members
Forum Members

Can't Find Templates

Post by ep2002 »

Hi there,

My website coder wants to know where the template files are uploaded to in CPanel.

The site is using version 2.1.4 (no comments pls. :) & we can't even find the word "templates" under "layout."

And no I can't update. It's really too bad it takes forever to update & I have to hire someone to do it which I don't have the funds to do.

Thanks
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Can't Find Templates

Post by DIGI3 »

Templates are in Layout > Design Manager. You'll see tabs for templates, stylesheets, etc. If you want to use file-based templates you have to choose that for each template first, then your designer can edit the .tpl files in your cPanel's file manager instead of editing through the admin interface, should they desire.

2.1.4 isn't that old, the new update method only takes a couple of minutes. It's only time consuming if you're upgrading from the 1.x series.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
ep2002
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by ep2002 »

DIGI3 wrote:Templates are in Layout > Design Manager. You'll see tabs for templates, stylesheets, etc. If you want to use file-based templates you have to choose that for each template first, then your designer can edit the .tpl files in your cPanel's file manager instead of editing through the admin interface, should they desire.

2.1.4 isn't that old, the new update method only takes a couple of minutes. It's only time consuming if you're upgrading from the 1.x series.
Ok, so he asked, where are those .tpl files in CPanel? He can't find them.

Thanks a ton
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

It actually gives you the location and filename when you export to file. They're in /assets/templates though.
ep2002
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by ep2002 »

DIGI3 wrote:It actually gives you the location and filename when you export to file. They're in /assets/templates though.
So if there's not a templates folder in the assests folder (he checked there already), does this mean the site is broken? :(

He thinks it may be running on the cache.

Is there a way to tell?

I moved hosters 1.5 years ago though & this site is pretty much dead, so we almost never make changes to it. :(

Thanks
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

Nope, it probably just means the templates weren't exported to files. You do that in Design Manager. Note that the 1.x series didn't have file-based templates, so if you haven't upgraded to 2.x then you need to edit them in the admin interface and not in the file system.

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”