Move to MediaWiki

Discussion of the documentation project.
Chris..S
Forum Members
Forum Members

Move to MediaWiki

Post by Chris..S »

I notice you have recently moved your documentation from DokuWiki to MediaWiki.  I looked around and saw a couple of posts mentioning the change but not much more.  I contribute to the development of DokuWiki as such I am interested in your feedback on DokuWiki, your reasons for changing and also how you find MediaWiki in comparison.

I am not looking to espouse the benefits of DokuWiki or to start a flamewar :) but I am genuinely interested in your feedback and criticism.  As members of your own open source community, you'll appreciate you get lots of questions from people new to your app, some discussion amongst people committed to project and its further development, but rarely do you hear from people who have tried it and moved on or simply given up in frustration.
westis

Re: Move to MediaWiki

Post by westis »

Hi Chris..S,

Ted is in a better position to answer this, but I think the move mainly has to do with two things:

1) We can now use the same user base as the forum, so that people can use their forum login to login to the wiki. Then any forum user can also edit the wiki. With DokuWiki we had to add users manually (or they would have had to register again).

2) It's easier to add langauges, as it's easily done in a template that is added to all pages.

A third reason could be the Table of Contents, which works kind of ok now, although a bulletmenu like menu would have been the ideal.

DokuWiki is great. Last time when we were looking for a good solution for the documentation we looked around quite a lot and for the needs then found DokuWiki best suited. But as the documentation writing didn't really take speed (I'm partly to blame for that, as that is one of the things I've been offering to do), something had to be done.

So apart from the above two reasons it hasn't really anything to do with how DokuWiki works. ;D
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Thanks westis, you pretty much summed it up for me.  I also so saw nice handling of printing out to pdf that I haven't quite mastered, but it should work nicely when I get the time to devote to it.

Dokuwiki is definitely a good product and I tend to use them interchangably.  We use dokuwiki at work, for example for all of our internal documentation.
Chris..S
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Chris..S »

Thanks for your replies.

I guess you were too soon for DokuWiki.  Since quite recently, DokuWiki can integrate with SMF and use its users and groups.  However, multiple languages in the same wiki is a weakness.

Return to “[locked] Documentation0ld”