Group Permissions -- CMS 0.8.1 Papeete

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
xscd

Post by xscd »

Hello all--

I did a new install of CMS 0.8.1, added a group, added just one user to the group (the idea was to have an "editor-in-chief" group with just one user in it, and that user would have the ability to edit the content of any user (edit only--not add content, delete content, change site preferences, etc.)) , and gave that group the following permissions:
  • Modify Any Content[/list:u]
    • Modify Code Blocks[/list:u]
      • Modify Files[/list:u]
        • Modify HTML Blobs[/list:u]

However, that user, a member of only that one group (editor-in-chief), after logging in is able to add content, install and uninstall plugins, clear the admin log, and every other thing I tried that I thought would not be among that groups permissions. So I UNchecked "Modify Any Content," logged out and logged in again as that user, but still the rather limited permissions for the group that user is in seemed to have no effect.

By the way, what is the difference between "Modify Any Content" and "Modify Code Blocks"? (What kind of code (HTML? PHP? Javascript?) are "code blocks"?)

Best wishes,

Steve D
          NM US
          • [/list:u]
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

And you're positive that newly created user isn't in the admin group? I've never heard of all permissions being broken before...
xscd

Post by xscd »

Thanks Wishy-- Sure enough, that user was also in the "admin" group. :oops: I don't know how he got there, but that's the first thing I should have thought of. Thank you.

May I ask whether the permission "Modify Any Content" only refers to what appears under the "Manage Content" link? In other words, I assume it means that a user with that permission can only edit the main "content" area of a webpage--not the template nor CSS nor any other type of content of the website. Correct? And does the "Modify Code Blocks" permission refer to PHP code that someone may write as a custom plug-in?

Thanks, and sorry to waste your time with such a stupid, obvious and non-existent "problem."

-Steve D, NM US
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

It's all good. :)

Modify Any Content refers to just Content Management (and html blobs, I think). It's the "admin" setting, because content has the rules about owner and additional users. That setting will override all of that.

Modify code blocks refers to User Defined Tags (php code written in the admin to make plugins). Definatly should only be given to people who "deserve it". :)

The template and css permissions work as you would expect them too.

Return to “CMSMS Core”