Usability of templates/already designed websites

Discuss, ask and suggest about Usability and Accessability with CMS Made Simple
SimonRLM

Usability of templates/already designed websites

Post by SimonRLM »

Just wondering, is it possible to use my old design that’s within PHP and CSS, the main page is HTML Formatted but saved as page.php and has some includes I use. But I really don’t want to be having to redesign this. I’ll be happy to just leave it and run no CMS until a rebuild is needed. But that’s not going to happen for 2 years.

Also how would I go around that if lets say i have a team member wanting to write a new article, which is within a new page set in blog/new_atrical.php and use the already designed article page, how its set with the current CSS Text layout and div layout. The wrapper div and the main page div are both set to auto so you can write as much as you want within the page without the text going outside the div area.

Now when someone writes this article, i have already coded the the index.php page within the blog area, which displays all the articles, would then the cms take the title of the page, make it into a link, take some of the text from the article page and then also take the image from the page and resize it so it fits within the image DIV. And the same again and again every time they write a new article.

Also I have on the index main page, first one when you put in my URL I have a section which displays some of the blogs but then once 10 of them are posted it stops. So the main index page isn’t over loaded and scrolls for ever.

But my problem is, it’ll not display all the new ones, only the 10x out of the includes I want it to be able to take the top 10 which are the one items and display it each time there is a new one, so each time new article is posted it’ll post it on the blogs/index.php section and then within the index.php small display section.

Just wondering if this is possible.

I’m sorry if I sound silly or dumb but it’s the first time I’ve looked into a CMS

Ps. I’m happy to donate towards the CMS.

If anyone can link me towards how a CMS Works in-depth or a short idea on what you need to do and how they work would be much appreciated

I hope somewhat you understand what I’m asking for and that I’ve not linked to any part of my website due to advertising and in-case of any rules implied with this website
Wishbone
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Usability of templates/already designed websites

Post by Wishbone »

SimonRLM wrote:Just wondering, is it possible to use my old design that’s within PHP and CSS, the main page is HTML Formatted but saved as page.php and has some includes I use. But I really don’t want to be having to redesign this. I’ll be happy to just leave it and run no CMS until a rebuild is needed. But that’s not going to happen for 2 years.
It's pretty easy to take an existing website and convert it to a CMSMS template. Take a look at a default install's templates to see how they mix HTML and Smarty keywords. Since your site is PHP generated, do a "view source" of a page, grab the HTML and place it into a template. Replace the title with {title}, replace the stylesheets with {cms_stylesheet}, replace the content with {content}, etc. Create a stylesheet, dump your CSS into it and attach it to a template. Now create a page, dump content to it and assign it to your template. Getting the menu to auto-generate is the hardest part, but once you get used to it, you can convert a smallish website in a few hours.
SimonRLM wrote:Also I have on the index main page, first one when you put in my URL I have a section which displays some of the blogs but then once 10 of them are posted it stops. So the main index page isn’t over loaded and scrolls for ever.
This can be done with the news or blog module. In your template or blog page you say {News number=10} (or CGBlog if you prefer).. It will only show summaries of the first 10 articles with "Next" links.

Read the content on a default CMSMS install. Lots of good information to get you started.
SimonRLM

Re: Usability of templates/already designed websites

Post by SimonRLM »

Wishbone wrote:
SimonRLM wrote:Just wondering, is it possible to use my old design that’s within PHP and CSS, the main page is HTML Formatted but saved as page.php and has some includes I use. But I really don’t want to be having to redesign this. I’ll be happy to just leave it and run no CMS until a rebuild is needed. But that’s not going to happen for 2 years.
It's pretty easy to take an existing website and convert it to a CMSMS template. Take a look at a default install's templates to see how they mix HTML and Smarty keywords. Since your site is PHP generated, do a "view source" of a page, grab the HTML and place it into a template. Replace the title with {title}, replace the stylesheets with {cms_stylesheet}, replace the content with {content}, etc. Create a stylesheet, dump your CSS into it and attach it to a template. Now create a page, dump content to it and assign it to your template. Getting the menu to auto-generate is the hardest part, but once you get used to it, you can convert a smallish website in a few hours.
SimonRLM wrote:Also I have on the index main page, first one when you put in my URL I have a section which displays some of the blogs but then once 10 of them are posted it stops. So the main index page isn’t over loaded and scrolls for ever.
This can be done with the news or blog module. In your template or blog page you say {News number=10} (or CGBlog if you prefer).. It will only show summaries of the first 10 articles with "Next" links.

Read the content on a default CMSMS install. Lots of good information to get you started.

The use of words within your post has really helped, awesome. Gotta love how in focus that reply was and has really helped me, thanks for helping and i will install it and have a mess about, whats the worst that can happen? i carsh my server or mess up and have to reinstall it. ;D thanks :)

Return to “[locked] Accessability and Usability”