TinyMCE

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
pierrepercee
Forum Members
Forum Members

TinyMCE

Post by pierrepercee »

Hello,

The TinyMCE module is one of the most used. The full version offers HTML templates, it's a way of trying to get around the lack of a page maker such as DIVI, Elementor, Wpbakery etc... The module is no longer updated for reasons you know. A tweak makes it work under PHP 8 but there are still many errors. Is there any chance that this module will be picked up and updated in the near future ?
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: TinyMCE

Post by DIGI3 »

This is a topic we're actively discussing on the Dev Team, there's a number of complexities regarding editors in general but having TinyMCE as a community/third-party module doesn't seem to be the best option. We'll have more answers in the near future.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
chrisbt
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by chrisbt »

and further to DIGI3's comment I'm planning to update TinyMCE soon. I use it on all my sites and need it updated ASAP.
pierrepercee
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by pierrepercee »

Hello,

@digi3 Thanks for this answer. the solutions envisaged to allow easy editing of pages for ordinary users really interest me. I don't really like complex maker pages. The generated code is rarely good and above all we do not have the choice of the css framework used behind it.

@chrisbt Many thanks for your answwer.This is really good news for me and a few others I think. Thank you in any case for the work done :)
pierrepercee
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by pierrepercee »

Hello,

We all delivered a fairly graphically accomplished website. Then we consult the site 2 years later and we see: it is a disaster. The freedom allowed by pagemakers is not necessarily a good thing. Clients methodically use all the tools available to them. Here they are graphic designers, that’s how! It's a tragic end for your beautiful graphic charter. The HTML templates offered by TinyMCE allow you to limit your creativity a little: that's a good thing. Let's say it's an acceptable compromise. I don't know what the difficulties are and the development time required but I really believe that TinyMCE would very advantageously replace MicroTiny while waiting for the arrival in CMSMS of a real rudimentary pagemaker (the time seems to me to be more in years than in months ...and in the meantime)
jce76350
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jce76350 »

The TinyMCE module is based on the TinyMCE Community version
and the MicroTiny Core module is based also on the TinyMCE Community version
But
TinyMCE module (V 3.3.2 28) is from TinyMCE Community version 5.3.1 (2020-05-27)
MicroTiny Core module (v 2.2.5) is from TinyMCE Community version 4.6.4 (2017-06-13)

and Now the TinyMCE Community version ?
- the last version 5 Version 5.10.9 November 15, 2023
- the last version 6 Version 6.7.3 November 15th, 2023.
@ chrisbt : I'm planning to update TinyMCE soon ...
which module will you update TinyMCE module or MicroTiny Core module, and and to which version of TinyMCE Community ?
Jean-Claude Etiemble
chrisbt
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by chrisbt »

Hi Jean-Claude,

I was primarily meaning the TinyMCE module, but I guess it would also make sense to update the MicroTiny Core module at some point - but the DevTeam would need to confirm that.

I would normally look at the latest version to use, v6.7.3, but @tomph has mentioned that it's getting more restrictive on the non-premium plugins. So I will have to investigate and hopefully find an obvious answer.

Do you have any preferences / suggestions. Happily received :)
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

Chris - you are the Dev Team, make it happen :)
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
jce76350
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jce76350 »

@ chrisbt Thanks,
I prefer Microtiny, it's the default module, and with TinyMCE Community 6.7.3, all the plugins are almost included ;)
Jean-Claude Etiemble
pierrepercee
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by pierrepercee »

Hello Chris,

MicroTiny already does the job for PHP 8.1. So there is no urgency as long as it works. On the other hand, for tinyMCE webmasters who use it can't migrate to PHP 8 or 8.1 which becomes very annoying.
creopard
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by creopard »

DIGI3 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:52 pm Chris - you are the Dev Team, make it happen :)
+1
I'd be willing to test.
jce76350
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jce76350 »

@ pierrepercee
1- cmsms 2.2.18 (and 2.2.19 SVN) is not fully compatible with PHP 8.1.x in Development Value (error_reporting = E_ALL + display_errors = On)
2- PHP 8.0.30 is end of life on 26 Nov 2023 (in 2 days)
3- Today PHP 8.3.0 Released!
Jean-Claude Etiemble
pierrepercee
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by pierrepercee »

I know all of this and I hope that everything possible will be done to quickly enable full transition to PHP 8.1 and a recent version of Smarty. This goes for the core and say the 20 most used modules. But this must always be done while preserving backward compatibility with existing sites. In the worst case scenario, who are the invoices sent to for the necessary redesign of the templates?
There is the ideal, the desirable and the emergency. When you have clients, urgency takes precedence.
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

pierrepercee wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:00 pm I know all of this and I hope that everything possible will be done to quickly enable full transition to PHP 8.1 and a recent version of Smarty. This goes for the core and say the 20 most used modules. But this must always be done while preserving backward compatibility with existing sites.
And there is were the issue lies: to avoid breaking backward compatibility with most sites and developers' environments, each change has to go through a number of tests, not only in linux boxes but also in windows boxes with a wamp like solution, which is what is used by a large number of web developers/designers using CMSMS. We have a very small number developers dedicated to testing it all, and it is time consuming. We are doing our best though.
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
pierrepercee
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by pierrepercee »

Hello Joe,
It's quite old and I don't remember why the public betas were abandoned. It seems to me, but I don't have all the information, that this would save precious time for developers, especially when the team is small and already takes up a lot of their personal time. This necessarily means more and therefore better tests, right ?

Return to “General Discussion”