Content Categories

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
stinhambo

Content Categories

Post by stinhambo »

Ok here is my proposal and it might be too big.

How about a way of creating categories and tagging any content (such as news post, calendar event or file) then calling that particular item from a smarty tag for example -

{news category='cms'} or {news category='cms+css'}

and the same for calendar events and maybe even tying it in with the file library so it returns a list of relevant files which can them be styled etc.

I'm sure this is a big thing but I thought of it due to a project I am working on now which could really do with a system like this. It's what is stopping me from using CMSMS for this particuar project.
tsw
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Content Categories

Post by tsw »

I dont really understand what you want..

somekind of tag system and a tag cloud?
stinhambo

Post by stinhambo »

Ok let me explain.

Supposing you could set up a number of categories such as 'cms' and 'css styling'.

Then you create some content such as a calendar event or a bit of news. When you create the content you have the option of tagging it with whatever categories you want.

Lets say I created a news article and I tagged it with 'cms'. So then if I created a page about CMSs I can then only display news which is tagged with cms by calling it with a smarty tag like {news category='cms'} and then other options like how many news stories to display etc.

The same can be done for anything such as calendar events etc.

My current project is a medical site which runs a number of projects each with related articles, news, calendar events and resources such as pictures and pdfs. They want to list those projects and in some side navigation with options to view those calendar events etc.

So it would make my life easier if for each medical program I can just call {news category='medical program 1'} or calendar event category='medical program 2'}
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Well, a global categories thing would be cool, we've thought of that before, infact there have been numerous discussions about it.
just haven't gotten to it.  It'd be very cool as we could assign attributes (or categories, but I like the term attributes better).  to any item (like news entries, calendar entries, pages, etc) and then use those attributes in combination with CustomContent to display only certain content to certain people, or to re-arrange the content in differernt ways, etc.

Cirremt;u. News has categories, as does Calendar (though News supports heirarchical categories, and Calendar doesn't).  As well, the uploads module does pseudo categories.  None of these modules allow selection of multiple categories though.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
stinhambo

Post by stinhambo »

I am looking at Drupal right now for this kind of functionality.
Pierre M.

Post by Pierre M. »

calguy1000 wrote: (...) and then use those attributes in combination with CustomContent to display only certain content to certain people, or to re-arrange the content in differernt ways, etc.
Right. 'etc' could be the language tag/attribute in CMSms multilang.

PM

Return to “Feature ideas”