can I archive files with links?

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
beeswax

can I archive files with links?

Post by beeswax »

Hi, I'm new to CMSMS and this forum, and I'm using it to develop our school's website - http://www.hotsoup.co.uk/cms/index.php/home as you can see from the Letters Home link I want to provide parental access to, duh, letters home. I was hoping to be able to provide a linked archive of past letters so that parents could check them as well. Is there any way of doing this automatically rather than creating a page and linking to those files manually?
thanks,
beeswax
cyberman

Re: can I archive files with links?

Post by cyberman »

Welcome on planet CMS made simple  :) ...
beeswax wrote: Is there any way of doing this automatically rather than creating a page and linking to those files manually?
Hmm, it sounds like news module can do it for you. Create a category for every year in admin panel, for instance year7. Enter all letters in news modules admin panel. Then insert this

Code: Select all

{cms_module module="news" category="year7"}
to page "Year 7" so all letters from year7 will shown there. So you can do it for each page/each year. You can also sort it with many options ...

Hope that helps. If you need more help please ask  :). Perhaps it would be useful too to customize the templates to your needs.
Last edited by cyberman on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beeswax

Post by beeswax »

cyberman wrote:Perhaps it would be useful too to customize the templates to your needs.
there's an awful lot that needs doing on the site (it's in my own private webspace at the moment), templates, style sheets and more. I've only had CMSMS up and running for 3 days so I'm still feeling my way round. a lot of the time I've just been hacking code and dropping it in where needed, tho' I'm sure there must be an easier way! thanks for your help, I'll try it over the weekend.
beeswax
beeswax

Post by beeswax »

Hi,
I think I've used the news module correctly, check it out here - http://www.hotsoup.co.uk/cms/index.php by clicking Letters Home>Year 7. You mentioned putting some code in to the Year 7 page. I can't figure out how to do it. doesn't CMSMS do it automatically? I'm using version 0.13 by the way.
thanks once again for the help
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

beeswax wrote: check it out here - http://www.hotsoup.co.uk/cms/index.php by clicking Letters Home>Year 7.
Upps, found only the default content  ???.
You mentioned putting some code in to the Year 7 page. I can't figure out how to do it. doesn't CMSMS do it automatically?
To the first you must to go to year 7 page. There you must only enter the suggested code

{cms_module module="news" category="year7"}.

Than you have to go in admin panel to menu content - news. Create there a category named year7. Then you can write there also some content / letters. Save it and you will see on your website the new content (per default it displays the headline and the teaser, but it can be custiomized). If you click on link you will see the full letter.

If you need more help please ask ...
beeswax

Post by beeswax »

Got to apologize for that. had some small problems and decided to start afresh again, but then had more problems as new installation doesn't allow me to update pages. any updates or additions can be seen in preview, but hitting submit or apply and going to view site and the changes don't appear. if I delete the page and start again, it's ok for the first time, but if I try and make any changes the same problem occurs. any thoughts?
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

beeswax wrote: decided to start afresh again,
How have you refresh your installation?
beeswax

Post by beeswax »

I deleted the original database (I'm only experimenting at the moment) and tried to delete all the folders for that site, but couldn't get rid of tmp, so I created a new database and a new folder to which I uploaded a fresh copy of CMSMS plus a new blank config.php file, set the permissions, went throught the install without a hitch, only to get the problems I described above. I've asked someone at my ISP to completely delete both folders, and I'll try again, but if that doesn't work, I don't know what to do.
thanks
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

beeswax wrote: I've asked someone at my ISP to completely delete both folders, and I'll try again
Please tell me the result.
beeswax

Post by beeswax »

all old files deleted, completely fresh installation, new database but same problem. I can show you screen grabs of the installation, but they'll show success all the way through. I've updated the database and the config file as asked during installation. here is a link to the default site - http://www.hotsoup.co.uk/cmsms/index.php/home I've tried to make the first paragraph bold on the home page, but it's not showing, apart from in Preview. I've added "Contact" but the 'container' jumps when switching between contact and the rest of the site. I don't always see the Apply button on the page when making changes either.
This is a link to the ISP I use - http://www.purplecloud.net/webhosting/p ... atures.jsp and mine is the Extra package (4 mysql databases, only using 3 at the moment) the other 2 databases are holding a moodle site and an e-commerce site without any problems. I'm not exceeding my data transfer limit (using about a tenth).
I'm using my office computer now, which is set up so that I can ftp etc, and when I get home, my own personal machine, but the problems are the same.
I've spent several months now looking through and trying various cms systems, installing and running wothout any problem, just as the initial install of this was. I had a really good experience with CMSMS last week, and it looked as if it would do all that was being asked of it for the school's website, but this problem has me stumped.
your help is appreciated
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

beeswax wrote: here is a link to the default site
Hmm, it looks o.k. ...
I've tried to make the first paragraph bold on the home page, but it's not showing, apart from in Preview.
Have you make a look in source code option in editor modus? Are there some tags or so other?

On your link I can't see someone ...
I've added "Contact" but the 'container' jumps when switching between contact and the rest of the site.
The reason for this is IMHO your browsers scroll bar. On "Contact" there's only few content, on all other pages you must scroll to read the page completely. The CMSms default is main container will be shown centered.
beeswax

Post by beeswax »

this is the source code for the bold -

"Congratulations! You now have a fully functional installation of CMS and you are almost ready to start building your site. First thing though, you should click here to check if your site requires a database upgrade. After you have confirmed you are up to date, then we can get cracking on the site development! "

it has the bold tag. aha, good old scrollbars. I was viewing it in FF. IE has the scrollbar or the space it takes up all the time.
thanks again for taking the time to help
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

beeswax wrote: Congratulations!
It looks like your changes woun't be saved - found only this in your source:
Congratulations!
Can you create a temporary admin account for me (PM)?
Last edited by cyberman on Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beeswax

Post by beeswax »

cyberman wrote: Welcome on planet CMS made simple  :) ...
beeswax wrote: Is there any way of doing this automatically rather than creating a page and linking to those files manually?
Hmm, it sounds like news module can do it for you. Create a category for every year in admin panel, for instance year7. Enter all letters in news modules admin panel. Then insert this

Code: Select all

{cms_module module="news" category="year7"}
to page "Year 7" so all letters from year7 will shown there. So you can do it for each page/each year. You can also sort it with many options ...

Hope that helps. If you need more help please ask  :). Perhaps it would be useful too to customize the templates to your needs.
I have a problem finding the code for Year 7 so as to insert the module code. I feel a bit silly asking all this but I've convinced the network manager to go with CMSMS for the school website, and naturally, when the thing goes live I want people to be able to use it without encountereing any problems.
thanks
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

beeswax wrote: I have a problem finding the code for Year 7 so as to insert the module code.
If you had create a category "year7" the posted code should work  ::) ...

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”