favicon

Do something cool with CMS? Show us ...
This board is for 'Answers', and the discussion of answers... Not for questions.
Greg
Power Poster
Power Poster

favicon

Post by Greg »

I use this to create my icons (it even has screen capture for 16x16)
Iconlab

I really like the little palm tree though !
Greg
jah
Forum Members
Forum Members

favicon

Post by jah »

Congratulations with the favicon :!: It looks very nice and distinct.

Just a small detail;

The background of the favicon used on this website is not transparent. Maybe it should have been?

Tabbed browser shows the favicon on the tab and when the tab is gray the palm appears to be inside a white square.
Maverick

Re: favicon

Post by Maverick »

Am I missing something?
I have the latest cmsms distro and I don't have any favicon (using the demo site) at all?
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

oh didn't see that this was such an old topic - sorry for that

The error log messages you get is caused by firefox since it defaults/always requests root/favicon.ico, even when it isn't specified in the HTML headers.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

ah thanks

Are there plans to include the favicon in the next releases of cmsms? (Since I think a favicon surely makes a website complete)
Darf

Post by Darf »

Can you please tell me where should I add the code in order to the favicon appear? In which file? Thanks.
Darf

Post by Darf »

In my case the browser does not assume. Favicon.ico should be placed in a special folder?
bill

Post by bill »

hi
Patricia wrote: favicon.ico must be in the root

reading again Maverick post earlier, he says Firefox look for it in the root, even when it isn't specified in the HTML headers. Now to specify it for all browsers, you can add this between the (thus in your template)

cheers (and thx for asking, as I just learned something)
:)
i have followed the above instructions and those at http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/ and have placed my favicon.ico in /var/www/html as directed.  i have amended the main site template to include as directed between the two head tags but it still is not working.

i get this in my Apache error logs:

[Thu Mar 02 12:55:07 2006] [error] [client 192.168.1.36] (13)Permission denied: access to /favicon.ico denied

but this is the directory listing of the Apache root directory:

[root@machine ~]# ls /var/www/html/favicon.ico -la
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 3638 Feb 24 13:23 /var/www/html/favicon.ico
[root@machine ~]#

i did chmod favicon.ico to 777 but no joy and i read somewhere that that might cause problems of its own so i changed it back to 644.

i have now just chown'ed favicon.ico to apache thus:

-rw-r--r--  1 apache apache 3638 Feb 24 13:23 /var/www/html/favicon.ico
[root@machine ~]#

but still get the same error and no favicon.

any ideas please?

cheers

bill
jelle

Post by jelle »

if you put a link in the of the page, you do not need to put it specifically in your html root. uploads/images/favicon.ico works just as good. (gifs work too, btw)
As for your permission denied problem: with this info I cannot guess why it should deny acces. Could it be that for the default site in /var/www/html only acces from localhost or the local network is allowed?
Where does your cmsms site reside; as subdirectory in documentroot, an alias to somewhere else, or a virtualhost with a different documentroot?
(you see, it is an apache problem and apache is very flexible in the ways you can fsck it up :))
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

bill wrote: i have followed the above instructions and those at http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/ and have placed my favicon.ico in /var/www/html as directed.  i have amended the main site template to include as directed between the two head tags but it still is not working.

i get this in my Apache error logs:

[Thu Mar 02 12:55:07 2006] [error] [client 192.168.1.36] (13)Permission denied: access to /favicon.ico denied

but this is the directory listing of the Apache root directory:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 3638 Feb 24 13:23 /var/www/html/favicon.ico
[root@machine ~]#

(...)

any ideas please?

cheers

bill
Just make sure you can "view" (sometimes it returns it as a download) the favicon at your homepage.
For example, make sure www.mydomain.com/favicon.ico works.

If you get an access denied error then this means you have to (re-)set some permissions for the favicon. The favicon should have the same rights as every other picture/file on your webserver.

Good luck.
numer9

Post by numer9 »

hey,
since favicon.ico doesn't give me any troubles as far as talking about content, but it's just not showing up in admin's section. I've uploaded favicon.ico to /admin/ folder, but still no good. I thought that there's some trick to upload custom favicon without changing admin template.

any suggestions?
thanks!
jelle

Post by jelle »

a quick glance at the html from svntest tells me there is not line for a favicon in the head section. Your browser will try to find one in the root of the domain (yourdomain.org/favicon.ico).
Changing the admin template seesm to be a bit trickier, I am a little disappointed that cmsms does not eat its own dogfood here.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hey, I was wondering if I could get some favicon help too maybe...

I'm working on a site available at www.uvickendoclub.tz4.com which is a mask for http://members.shaw.ca/victoriakendo/VKC.htm.

Now, I was able to create and place a favicon.ico in my root directory and it shows up well enough at http://members.shaw.ca/victoriakendo/VKC.htm (using firefox) but not at www.uvickendoclub.tz4.com.

Since uvickendoclub.tz4.com is a mask/redirection of http://members.shaw.ca/victoriakendo/VKC.htm, why the favicon.ico not appear in the address bar? Most people when visiting the site will use the "tz4.com" address as opposed to the lengthier "members.shaw.ca" one so it's something of an annoyance that I can't get the favicon.ico to appear when the "tz4.com" address is in use.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Etienne Robelin
Webmaster: www.UVicKendoClub.tz4.com
LeisureLarry

Post by LeisureLarry »

You can only solve this problem if you can change the redirection frame-set. You´ll have to add the meta-tags for favicons there.
numer9

Post by numer9 »

yeah,
try insterting tag

Code: Select all

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
into head section of your html code. That should make it work. If not you can try providing whole path instead of filename, for example:

Code: Select all

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.yoursite.com/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
and let us know if it helped.

regards,

Return to “Tips and Tricks”