About the license? Topic is solved

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
elmo

About the license?

Post by elmo »

Hi!

I'm very stoopid with these license / gpl license issues and i have read the gpl license but still i'd like to know a few things:

1. Is it free for "commercial" sites? (for example if i'd design a site using cms made simple would it be ok)

2. Does there have to be any links or powered by tags? I understand that spreading the word is a good thing but i guess there are sites where they wouln't be prefered by the site owners.

3. How secure do you feel / think this is? I haven't had experience with cms / mysql sites and i'm a little worried that could they be hacked etc. easily compared to static html sites.

4. Can everything be customized? ie the admin panel. I'm not thinking of ripping off / or selling the software ;) I mean can it be used as a starting point and built up to keeping it as GPL and saying to site owners that it's based on CMS made simple but is customized.

I'm not sure if i'm making a whole lotta sense ;) the whole thing in a nutshell: I've made some sites previously with wysiwyg editors / by hand and sometimes it would have been preferable for the owners to update them by themselves. This could very well be a solution for it if the license doesn't prohibit.

Thanks for reading this far! ;)
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

About the license?

Post by Ted »

Hello,

1. Yes. Donations are always welcomed, but most definatly not required to use it for a "commercial" project.
2. Nope. There is a message that shows up in the HTML source near the bottom by default, but most users will never see it.
3. CMSMS is pretty secure. It's never been fully audited by anyone very heavy into security, that I'm aware of. The only place they can really do damage is in the admin, and it's so easily backed up (backup mysql database and copy uploads dir somewhere), it shouldn't be a huge problem.
4. The admin is not themable as of yet. But that doesn't mean it can't be easily changed. It's mostly CSS with a couple of images in the header.

Hope that helps. :)

Return to “General Discussion”