CMS Made Simple 1.5 is in development

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

CMS Made Simple 1.5 is in development

Post by calguy1000 »

This is just an update to let you know what we're up to.

We're still actively working on 2.0, but in the mean time, we've been messing with some new features in the 1.x series as well.

Here's a brief list of what w'e have done so far.
a) A New Notifications mechanism in the admin section
    an expandable/collapsable javascripty thing to display system notifications on every admin page
    Modules can then add items to this area.

b) Improvements to content management
    i)  The ability to copy content pages
    ii) More bulk actions to allow easier management of pages, or making changes to pages in bulk.

c) A new dashboard page in the admin section

d) Upgraded TinyMCE Editor

Here's what's still on the list:
a) Even more bulk actions

b) A credits page in the admin to hilite the dev team

c) A site configurable 'help' page to provide help to end users

d) Profiles for TinyMCE so that you can provide different options on the frontend and perhaps
    to certain groups of users.

e) Strip all the RSS capabilities out of News because the soon to be released addon module CGFeedMaker makes that functionality redundant

f) Add a 'searchable' attribute to content pages.
more...

I'll keep you posted.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
duclet
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: CMS Made Simple 1.5 is in development

Post by duclet »

Like those changes, especially the bulk changes option. The only thing I have a problem with is that credit page. While I know credit is due for all these developers, I don't see a need for it. One, how do you decide which name should be there. Surely, you can't just have the core developers because the majority of sites would be using modules developed by other people as well. However, you certainly can't list all of the people either. At first, I thought it might be better to just not have this page at all but as I am writing this, I just remembered, we have a function to get the author(s) of each module so maybe on that page have a call to that function to add those authors to the list? That way, you get the core developers and the developers who developed the modules the site is using.
Ziggywigged
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ziggywigged »

calguy1000 wrote: b) Improvements to content management
    i)  The ability to copy content pages
    ii) More bulk actions to allow easier management of pages, or making changes to pages in bulk.
b) sounds awesome. As a designer that made the switch from Dreamweaver to CMSMS, these are invaluable features. Dreamweavers' 'Find and Replace' is a very powerful tool.
Take a penny, leave a penny.
anivision
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by anivision »

calguy1000 wrote: d) Profiles for TinyMCE so that you can provide different options on the frontend and perhaps
    to certain groups of users.
Best news for a looooooong time, this is a feature I wanted for ages
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jmcgin51 »

Sounds awesome, Dev Team!

I like duclet's idea of calling the module author function for the Help page.  List the Dev Team, the Admin theme author, and the authors of each module.  Could also list the authors of the theme installed on the frontend, if there is an easy way to get it.

Could you provide an update on 2.0 also?
Bob

Post by Bob »

I don't know if if this is possible, but here goes:

Can you make the HTML editor show the code in either numbered lines or allow me to put "returns" in the code so it's easier for me and my staff to easily find a line of code to modify or delete? Some things don't show up in TinyMCE so we rely a lot on "WYSYWIG OFF"/HTML, but it can be a bit of eye-strain when going through an entire body of HTML that isn't broken up into sections or "numbered" like you would see in a text editor such as TextWrangler or Source View in Dreamweaver.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

@Bob

The only html that should be in the editor is p h1 h2 h3 h etc....  imho...
stopsatgreen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by stopsatgreen »

If the News module is being updated, please please PLEASE can you roll the 'select by date' patch into it?
alby

Post by alby »

stopsatgreen wrote: If the News module is being updated, please please PLEASE can you roll the 'select by date' patch into it?
It's in SVN already.
Humm I thought the order .... , what is 'select by date' patch?

Alby
Last edited by alby on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junito
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by junito »

What about multiple categories in the news module? Is it something that is considered?
Thanks

http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/tracker/in ... 8&atid=112
stopsatgreen
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by stopsatgreen »

JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Any idea on the time line for this next upgrade... I have a 1.3.1 site I was going to update but if this is a week  or two out... I'll think I'll wait... thanks
jeremyBass
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

1.5 will be a while.... I'm focussing on paid work for the time being... and when it's ready it will have to go through an extensive beta process.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Got ya thanks Calguy
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

A thought for 1.5 or above... user and or group base Page Defaults would be nice addition to the "Profiles for TinyMCE"... better yet more user and group based settings would be nice all together like a "global setting" that modules could tie in to that's user based... I have almost always find a workaround for this for all clients that what to WYSIWYG the content or any editing... just a thought :)

jeremyBass

Return to “Announcements”