Search only certain news categories?

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
sep
Forum Members
Forum Members

Search only certain news categories?

Post by sep »

Is it possible to configure the search module so it indexes only certain categories of News? My News contains categories which are only viewable as Custom Content for logged in users (with FOE installed) and I'd like the public search page to index the public categories of news, but not the 'hidden' categories. I've tried to work with modules= and passthru= , but don't seem to be able to get the desired result.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Search only certain news categories?

Post by calguy1000 »

No, this currently isn't possible..... it'd take some code hacking.  But it is a good idea.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
sep
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by sep »

thanks for the quick response calguy. Could you explain what passthru_ does? I didn't quite get it from the help page.
cb2004
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cb2004 »

I think the search should be able to search only certain sections like the menu manager. For example 4 and all its children.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

it's up to each module to determine if it integrates with search, and if so, how..... so this is not a search module issue, it's a News module issue.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
cb2004
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cb2004 »

My issue will be a core issue though wont it?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

there's a tag you can put into each page to indicate that that page is not searchable. 
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
cb2004
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cb2004 »

But what if I want all my pages searchable, but then I have a section for employees. I want a search box in this employees section to just search the employees. Or better still I want a drop down populated with employees.
sep
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by sep »

I tried the tag in the news templates but that didn't work. So you mean that news would have to be rewritten to tell search whether those particular categories and/or templates allow themselves to be indexed?
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

cb2004 wrote: But what if I want all my pages searchable, but then I have a section for employees. I want a search box in this employees section to just search the employees. Or better still I want a drop down populated with employees.
Yeah, there's no 'category' mechanism in the search or with the pages to only return results from certain pages,  that'd be a core modification.

If you're talking about a user directory thing though, the Userdirectory module could be used for this I think... though I'm not familiar with it.  or the FrontEndUserListing, though I'm not familiar with that either.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

sep wrote: I tried the tag in the news templates but that didn't work. So you mean that news would have to be rewritten to tell search whether those particular categories and/or templates allow themselves to be indexed?
Yes, the News module would have to be modified.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------

Return to “CMSMS Core”