Website down seems pointless

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.
cb2004
Power Poster
Power Poster

Website down seems pointless

Post by cb2004 »

This would be good if it allowed admins who were logged in to see the site.

The only reason I would shut the site down was if I was drastically changing something on the site and I didnt want the public to see it.
kermit
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Website down seems pointless

Post by kermit »

the main point of the SHUTDOWN file (which is what's used when you 'turn off' the site) is to shut down the front-end of the site during installs/upgrades when database changes are required. the install or upgrade script removes that file upon successful completion.

if you're working on new pages you don't want the public to see: do not show them in menus and then have a browser window opened to that specific url (that you can refresh as needed) if you absolutely have to see the page in place on the site. if it's not shown in the menu but still active, you can go directly to the page. if it's not in the menus, your visitors won't know it exists.

if you're working on an existing page; copy its contents for editing to a separate 'temporary' page that is not shown in the menus, when you're done, copy the temporary page's content to where it actually goes in the site.

if you're working on templates and/or css... do that on a different, "test" installation entirely, or set only one 'sample page' to use your "in progress" template/css... then when you're done, you can either copy the template/css code to the 'live' ones the rest of the pages use or set the rest of the pages to use the 'new' template.

if you're just 'trying out' different modules and other things.. you're messing with fate (and your site).. i suggest using a different 'test' installation of cmsms until you are certain that you will be implementing it on the 'live' site and know how.

a couple of other suggestions for you:
you can use htaccess to either temporarily require authentication or to temporarily redirect all but specific ip's to a different page. you may find some inspiration here.
Last edited by kermit on Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
eternity (n); 1. infinite time, 2. a seemingly long or endless time, 3. the length of time it takes a frozen pizza to cook when you're starving.
4,930,000,000 (n); 1. a very large number, 2. the approximate world population in 1986 when Microsoft Corp issued its IPO. 3. Microsoft's net profit (USD) for the quarter (3 months) ending 31 March 2007.
CMSMS migration and setup services | Hosting with CMSMS installed and ready to go | PM me for Info
cb2004
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by cb2004 »

Well that put me in my place :).

Cheers.
tsw
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tsw »

2.0 has "ip whitelist for sitedown message" feature on the todo list (added it few weeks ago)
FantomCircuit
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by FantomCircuit »

That would be awesome! makes it so much more useful :)

Return to “General Discussion”