Documentation Project Update! Any (Potential) Contributors Please Read.

Discussion of the documentation project.
Matt Jason H
Forum Members
Forum Members

Documentation Project Update! Any (Potential) Contributors Please Read.

Post by Matt Jason H »

Wishy has recently installed a CMS Made Simple install for the documentation book.

This is not open access like the wiki, so if you want to contribute either post your submissions to this forum or, if you intend to do a lot, ask me to set-up a user account for you.

I'm currently hashing out a good structure for the documentation itself which I intend to try and perfect in the next few days. Comments and opinions to this end would be greatly appreciated at this stage, less so when people start to write information into that structure. So speak now or forever hold your peace, well, at least until the next update.

Even if you don't fancy getting down to writing the nuts and bolts stuff, we really need case studies. This is just a short feature about how you applied CMSMS to solve a problem, how well it worked (including shortcomings), what did the old system ran on (if at all), what other solutions/CMSs you tried (if any), what the client said (if you weren't the client), how you customised it, etc. These really help people figure out if CMSMS is right for them, help give designers and users more ideas and will help some of the guys coding to see how it's working for people other than themselves in more detail.

As well as written contributions we also need a good CMSMS template that makes sense for a documentation book, so if web/graphic design is more your forte than writing you can help too.

We also need someone to take lots of screenshots and save them (gif usually results in nice and tiny file sizes) of sections of the admin area, plug-ins, individual buttons in the editor, etc. So if you're no writer or web-designer you can still help by providing those but please make sure they are logically named as there will be lots of them by the time we're done.

If you're more into coding then we need a previous/next/up link tag to put at the bottom of each page to make the navigation more book-like, and if you can think of anything else that might make CMSMSs documentation that bit better then get to it - I've got a few ideas in progress so perhaps I'll post those in a few days when I've thought more about it.

Also, if you're a bit nifty with another language (usually because it's your first), let me know and perhaps we can get a bit of a rolling translation effort in progress. I'll have to look more into it's co-ordination as of yet, as I can imagine the documentation is going to be rather in limbo for the next few weeks and I don't want to see translation work having to be done twice and other frustrating things.

Thanks for the help in advance guys, let's see if team documentation can beat the fine gentlemen coders to 1.0 :D
Last edited by Matt Jason H on Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woudloper

Re: Documentation Project Update! Any (Potential) Contributors Please Read.

Post by Woudloper »

The new structure looks nice and is also pretty logical if I may say so. I would also advice to create a quickstart document, more or less the same as Mozilla did. This would also be usefull as people do not need to read the whole documentation before installing 'CMS Made Simple'.

Furthermore I would use 'Courier New' for displaying the  code. Now the code has the same font as the rest of the document. Woudl you also be thinking of a new layout for the documentation section, just as is being suggested for the frontend. There are some post that are speaking about a new fresh modern layout.
kishman155
Translator
Translator

Post by kishman155 »

Hi i have put the installation into docs.cmsmadesimple.org

If somebody wants to modify it feel free to do this.

kishman155
westis

Post by westis »

Hi there!

I'm thinking of digging into helping out a bit with the documentation. What system is there to know what pages people are currently working on? It's good to avoid having several people working on the same page.

I could start with the rest of the "Pages" pages, apart from "Add a page" that is already there, if noone else is currently working on that.

Docs page layout

I could also offer to make some minor quirks to the docs page layout, including a collapsible menu instead of the one that is now, which I find difficult to navigate when there are many sub-menus. That is if people would like that kind of menu. But I suppose the docs page should be integrated in the main CMS Made Simple site so I don't know what the approach should be to change the layout?

Admin changes affecting docs?
As there apparently is some work going on with the Admin page, how will this affect the way the admin panel is used? Are there some things in the docs that'd better wait to be written until the Admin panel has been rewritten?
alfblack

Post by alfblack »

Screenshots? Do you still need the screenshots? Where do I send them to? :D

I have done some already. But I'll need to take some more for the newer v0.12
sloop

Post by sloop »

Hey all,

I've done a lot of CMSMS-related development over the past couple months, including module creation, admin coding, and have knowledge of the class hierarchy and underlying tables.  I've done a fair amount of tech writing, and love explaining things to others.  If there's a place I can plug into, pages or sections I can take ownership of, let me know.

Here's one page that bugs me:

http://www.cmsmadesimple.org/developersguide.shtml

Can I help out here?  Let me know.

-sloop

Return to “[locked] Documentation0ld”