Need Custom Menu System Developed

A place to make for-pay "CMS made simple" job offerings
AngelEyes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Need Custom Menu System Developed

Post by AngelEyes »

Hi,

I am a bit new to all this so I may even be asking for something that can already be done but I didn't receive any response to my post in general help and haven't been able to find anything similiar by searching the forums.

What I need is a way to alocate an image to every page on the website, preferably when you create the page itself. I would then like to be able to pull up that image in a sub menu so people can see a thumbnail as well as a title of the pages in the menu.

I use something similiar on another CMS and it is such a basic tool I am surprised it isn't available on CMSMS, although as I say I am new and it may well be possible... I guess another example of this type of menu would be for an eCommerce site where you can preview a list of products with a thumbnail, title and description etc.

Have a look at the right hand menu on this site, to get an idea of what I am trying to achieve. http://luxury-hotels-villas.com

Thanks,

Adam
AngelEyes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Need Custom Menu System Developed

Post by AngelEyes »

I thought I would add a screenshot of my existing CMS to better explain what I need as it may not be clear.

In the CMS I use at the moment (but is now unsupported, basically the developer has 'disappeared') each page I create has the option to allocate a thumbnail.

Using a simple line of code similiar to the ones used in CMSMS I can specify to display a list of all the items in a certain folder or latest items etc. and also specify whether to show the titles, thumbnails, description etc. This is great because any changes to the content mean i don't have to create a new bespoke menu each time just use the same line of code to generate the menu. it also gives me the freedom to specify the tumbnail size which is handy too.

CMSMS seems to do this ok when displaying a title but doesn't seem to have the option to show thumbnails. this is the functionality I wish to add.

See below the screen where I can add a thumbnail and after that a screen of the website showing how it appears in a menu towards the bottom of the home page. (I added the arrows to make it more obvious)

Thanks,

Adam
lollipop27
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by lollipop27 »

I wrote you a personal message about this....
AngelEyes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by AngelEyes »

Ok, I decided to try and show how I envisage this working and hopefully someone can come back and tell me if this is possible or not:

I think if it could be done by adding an additional upload file field to the ‘page’ create screen, see a mockup below:

And then adding additional parameters to the ‘menu manager’ script, perhaps like this:

{cms_module module='menumanager' collapse='1' template='sub_menu' thumbnail=’yes’ thumbnail_width=’160’ thumbnail_height=’160‘}

Obviously we would need to specify a folder where the page images are saved but hopefully that is possible?

Adam
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Have you checked out the 'vacations' module?
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
AngelEyes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by AngelEyes »

No, can you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks,

Adam
alby

Post by alby »

AngelEyes wrote: No, can you point me in the right direction please?
There is a central place for modules/plugins: DEVELOPMENT link

After search for vacations

Alby
kermit
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by kermit »

AngelEyes wrote: I use something similiar on another CMS and it is such a basic tool I am surprised it isn't available on CMSMS
what you're looking for isn't really a "basic tool" in a content management system, particularly not one that's supposed to be simple... an ecommerce or shopping cart application - definitely, but not something like CMSMS. i work with over a dozen common cms packages; none of the 'simple', 'easy' or 'light weight' ones have anything like it.

the Cataloger module for CMSMS might be adaptable to your needs (or you may be adaptable to it)..
eternity (n); 1. infinite time, 2. a seemingly long or endless time, 3. the length of time it takes a frozen pizza to cook when you're starving.
4,930,000,000 (n); 1. a very large number, 2. the approximate world population in 1986 when Microsoft Corp issued its IPO. 3. Microsoft's net profit (USD) for the quarter (3 months) ending 31 March 2007.
CMSMS migration and setup services | Hosting with CMSMS installed and ready to go | PM me for Info
AngelEyes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by AngelEyes »

alby wrote:
AngelEyes wrote: No, can you point me in the right direction please?
There is a central place for modules/plugins: DEVELOPMENT link

After search for vacations

Alby
Thanks, I'll take a look.
AngelEyes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by AngelEyes »

kermit wrote:
AngelEyes wrote: I use something similiar on another CMS and it is such a basic tool I am surprised it isn't available on CMSMS
what you're looking for isn't really a "basic tool" in a content management system, particularly not one that's supposed to be simple... an ecommerce or shopping cart application - definitely, but not something like CMSMS. i work with over a dozen common cms packages; none of the 'simple', 'easy' or 'light weight' ones have anything like it.

the Cataloger module for CMSMS might be adaptable to your needs (or you may be adaptable to it)..
Ok, I'll take your word it is not simple, just something I was used to from another CMS. Does this mean it is not possible to do, I am after all expecting to pay for the work involved :)

Thanks,

Adam
AngelEyes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by AngelEyes »

calguy1000 wrote: Have you checked out the 'vacations' module?
I did a search and found a page on Vacations but there didn't seem to be any files or info on it... :(
alby

Post by alby »

AngelEyes wrote:
calguy1000 wrote: Have you checked out the 'vacations' module?
I did a search and found a page on Vacations but there didn't seem to be any files or info on it... :(
There is the SVN code.
In SVN tab there is a link for download (no Download The Nightly SVN Tree Snapshot):
svn checkout http://svn.cmsmadesimple.org/svn/vacations

For svn client:
check your repository for svn client for linux
or in hompage of Forge there is "Using SVN with TortoiseSVN" for windows

Alby
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Doh, I'll add that to my todo list too
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “Help Wanted (commercial)”