What happens to removed content blocks?

A place to discuss the testing process in beta cycles or against SVN for the CMS Made Simple CORE package.
mahjong

What happens to removed content blocks?

Post by mahjong »

Take for instance a page with a several block of content

Code: Select all

{content}
{content name="second block"}
{content name="third block"}
What happens if one of the blocks is removed (second) or renamed (third->fourth) in the template?

Code: Select all

{content}
{content name="fourth block"}
How and when is the data in those removed/renamed blocks gets eliminated in the database? If the data stays indefinitively in the database, then we need some kind of cleanup procedure. A French user suggested the removed blocks should not be hidden and appear in the page editor, with some kind if deletion function.
Dee
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: What happens to removed content blocks?

Post by Dee »

The content properties are not deleted when an extra block is removed from the template at the moment.
This relates to bug #86: http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/tracker/in ... 6&atid=101
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: What happens to removed content blocks?

Post by calguy1000 »

I actually don't think of this as a bug. well, not too much anyways.

people regularly update templates, at least in the initial stages of design.  and if in one instance of editing they remove (or rename) a content block, and then put it back in another, the content isn't lost. 

However, I don't think the feature list is complete, we do need a 'cleanup' utility that will go through and 'cleanup' the content tables and get rid of extraneous, not ever referenced content.

We just haven't got there yet.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “[locked] Quality Assurance”