Test-environment with latest versions somewhere

A place to discuss the testing process in beta cycles or against SVN for the CMS Made Simple CORE package.
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Test-environment with latest versions somewhere

Post by RonnyK »

I was thinking of having an environment somewhere that was running the CORE and some main-modules with the latest version of them all, including the SVN's. When someone has a problem with one of the featured modules he/she can test it there. If the bug isn't available anymore, upgrading to the latest version will probably fix the problem, if not a bug can be reported.

Is it an idea to have such an environment?

Ronny
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Test-environment with latest versions somewhere

Post by calguy1000 »

A 'Demo Environment' with the latest supported version of the core, and some selected modules would be great, both for demo purposes, and for support purposes as you mentioned

I've been thinking about this, and infact we've been discussing this type of thing as of late.  The following issues (atleast these ones) exist:
* the sites would have to refresh themselves from backup
* the sites would have to be reserved to one or two administrators at a time
* they should have some intelligent default content that shows off these modules somehow

can you do it? do you have the resources?
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

Calguy,

I didn't mean to host it myself, but was pointing to such a site in general. If this is easy to set up, I'll consider it. I tried the "[Download The Nightly SVN Tree Snapshot] " once, but that is downloading 222MB at the moment, so that is not the latest release (at least not only.....).

At the moment, I do have some demo-environment, but that is running the latest stable release 1.1 and some specific modules. I use that environment as well to check users-issues.

But it would be nice to have the SVN-site besides that one as well.

Ronny
tsw
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tsw »

so something like this

1. user signs up for demo,
2. script creates new site with some arbitary url like demo.cmsmadesimple.org/installation1/
3. email with login info is sent to user
4. after 72 hours the site will be deleted completely.

number of demo sites should be limited to 20 or so..

also there are some security issues with this, atleast the demo site shouldnt be able to upload new files to server...

is the default installation enough or do we need a new "demo" installation data? can someone create a demo site that has some great information and do a db dump from it?
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

Well my idea was to have an environment available that holds the latest of the CORE, including the SVN's. I don't know if it has to go that far that an environment is generated on demand. Just having an environment with the latest, that is re-stored every few days would be enough. It's just meant to have an environment for checking behaviour on the latest release and could be used for demo purposes as well (although an environment with the latest stable release would do as well).

Ronny

Return to “[locked] Quality Assurance”