Simple and WYSIWYG textareas should be fixed width or variable ?

Talk about writing modules and plugins for CMS Made Simple, or about specific core functionality. This board is for PHP programmers that are contributing to CMSMS not for site developers

How do you think that we should have the textareas on the admin interface?

Like now: fixed width 76em
25%
width: 100%
63%
I don't mind
13%

Total votes: 8

intersol

Simple and WYSIWYG textareas should be fixed width or variable ?

Post by intersol »

Because there are some different opinions on the dev team regarding this feature. Please vote so we'll be able to take a decision regarding the default theme.
WiseQ

Re: Simple and WYSIWYG textareas should be fixed width or variable ?

Post by WiseQ »

There is no need to use more space than what is neccessary to present the information in a structured way.
At the moment, the set fixed width is more than enough to do this. In fact - the presentation of the data would look kind of weird due to lots of empty space in very high resolutions, if the entire screen width is used.

I can certainly see that more space in a textarea would be a good thing, but I think that setting the entire admin interface to use all the width is a wrong approach for solving this issue.

Regards
WiseQ
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

For the purposes of judging, I think some screenshots are in order.

Let's be realistic, this is a question of looks.

I'm not leaning either way on this issue, as it's not really my department.  However, any changes would have to do 3 things:

1. Must work as well on all browsers as it does now.  Yes, even IE6.
2. Must be standards compliant.  I'm not budging on this issue.  In fact, I'm going to become more of a hard-ass about it post 0.10.
3. Must not look like garbage.  If it brings down the rest of a really good looking theme, for a fairly trivial change, then it's out.  I will pull my benevolent dictator card if necessary.

Happy voting!  :)
intersol

Post by intersol »

You are right with one remark: i see the problem as an ergonomy one and i think that ergonomy it's (maybe) the most important feature.
pinthenet

Post by pinthenet »

Couldn't there be a further option - something like fixed width defined via Global or User preferences (or within the page)?
intersol

Post by intersol »

No it can't be because this option it's related to admin style. Intheory we can create alternative admin style but at this moment we can't focus on two themes. So we'll have only one and after 1.0 release when the stylesheet will be documented we'll be able to add more thems.
jah
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by jah »

I experienced yesterday the problems a user had with 100% width in IE6. It did not look very nice. He had to scroll several pages right to see everything.

Even though 100% is nice when it works, I second Wishy in his opinion that the fixed width is better since it can be used from all browsers.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

I'm going to close this issue for now.  If it's not going to work in all browsers, then it's not worth doing.  I hate IE as much as the next guy, but it still is a major browser and HAS to work right.

Unless someone can come up with a fully working way to pull this off, it's going to have to stay fixed.  If someone does this, please let us know.

Thanks!
intersol

Post by intersol »

I've made some test with IE 6 and seams ok. Please submit complete bug information: browser version, platform, accesibility options, screen resolution and complete url of the page with the problems.
Last edited by intersol on Tue May 31, 2005 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nils73
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nils73 »

Doesn't quite belong here, but I didn't want to open a new thread. Just stumbled upon a small problem with my site. When I use WYSIWYG, I get WYSIWYG on all textareas. But sometimes it would make sense, not to have a WYSIWYG on a textarea. For example when using the Calendar plugin or maybe in News module. At least, if you try and do something standards compliant ...

Any ideas how to do this? Any hacks?

Regards,
Nils
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Go into the particular code, look for the CreateTextarea, and change the first argument from true to false.

Return to “Developers Discussion”