Automatic generated installation report

A place to discuss the testing process in beta cycles or against SVN for the CMS Made Simple CORE package.
Pierre M.

Automatic generated installation report

Post by Pierre M. »

Hello,

I have a suggestion : what about an simple installation report generated at the end of the install ? It could be posted when asking for help and provide informations the poster doesn't provide and ease helping/debugging.
Here is a more detailled view :
-it is a file, named-timestamped : install-report-2007-03-31-21-59-48.txt
-located near config.php or somewhere a newbie can find it.
-it has rwx=000 and should be retrieve with SSH or FTP but not HTTP.
-it provides informations about the hosting environnement : OS x.y, Apache/lightty, PHP z.t, mem quotas, safe mode...
-it provides informations about the CMSms being installed : version, options, modules... diff ? upgrade ?
-it provides informations about the process : list of warnings, list of errors, check points (db connection OK...)
-it is human and machine readable ; simple sequence of lines of pairs like "php safe mode : off", "OS : FreeBSD 4.4"
-the installer advices to join it to installation help posts.

Or does it already exist ? Or don't you find it usefull ? Please tell me what you think of this.

Pierre M.
cyberman

Re: Automatic generated installation report

Post by cyberman »

It's only useful for support :). But it would be nice ...

Have you seen Diagnostics module?

http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/diagnostics
Pierre M.

Post by Pierre M. »

I didn't know this Diagnostic module. But I bet it requires a working installed CMSms to be used.
I'm suggesting the installation report should tell "no db driver", "no db connection", "dir xyz is not writeable" etc so the support (yes!) can diagnose quickly and easyer. It often takes some replys for the non-tech newbie to correctly describes its context, its wishes and its problem.
Pierre M.
Pierre M.

Post by Pierre M. »

I just bump the topic as it is "useful for support" and "would be nice".
Comments welcome :)
Pierre M.
alby

Post by alby »

Pierre M. wrote: I just bump the topic as it is "useful for support" and "would be nice".
Comments welcome :)
Quicky: +1

Alby

Return to “[locked] Quality Assurance”