adding new sections to admin... not as module

Talk about writing modules and plugins for CMS Made Simple, or about specific core functionality. This board is for PHP programmers that are contributing to CMSMS not for site developers
redkevin11
Forum Members
Forum Members

adding new sections to admin... not as module

Post by redkevin11 »

I am very impressed with CMSMS.  I have been messing w/ mambo for the last month, and this just cuts right to the core of what I need.

I am wondering if it is possible/practical for me to do the following:

I have already created lots of home-grown "modules" for my client, that are in my own custom backend.  My client is a church, and I created an upload system for adding pdfs of weekly bulletins and monthly newsletters, and some php includes to easily add a "latest bulletin, etc" block, or create a list of the latest documents. 

Is it possible to simply add my files to the /admin folder and "wrap" them in the cmsms admin structure, using its permissions, then statically add links to the admin main navigation?  My includes can be simple user-defined tags.

Also, how can I wrap a page in the default template that is outside cmsms?  I have a gallery system in place that has a header and footer.  how can i make it always use the smarty template?

If this is discussed elsewhere, just show me the links!  I searched the forums for quite a while to not be redundant.

thanks a million... K
Alex_Leipzig

Re: adding new sections to admin... not as module

Post by Alex_Leipzig »

Consider supplying your user-defined tags in the wiki (http://wiki.cmsmadesimple.org/tiki-index.php)...
redkevin11
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by redkevin11 »

I guess I should further clarify:

I have created lots of backend functionality long before I came across CMSMS.  My custom "modules" have nothing to do with CMSMS.  I am wondering if it's possible/practical to simply wrap my non-CMSMS admin tools in the admin of CMSMS?  Then, for the front end, I could make user-defined tags that query the DB and print the info I need.

Let me know if this doesn't make any sense.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

All of the admin pages use the same structure.  With a header, footer, etc in them.  Just take a look at any page in there to see what I mean.

As for using CMSMS outside of CMSMS, you're in for some work.  It uses Smarty, but not in a regular fashion.  It takes content from the database, does some pre production work, and then puts everything through smarty to get a final page...

If you want to swing by IRC for some more details, you're welcome to.  Brain is kind of fried at the moment.

Return to “Developers Discussion”