News Module stopped working

For questions and problems with the CMS core. This board is NOT for any 3rd party modules, addons, PHP scripts or anything NOT distributed with the CMS made simple package itself.
CBeheiry

News Module stopped working

Post by CBeheiry »

I have a fresh install of CMSMS Version 2.2.16. I am using the CSSMenu top + 2 columns as the Default Page Design and Template. I have not made any changes to any files/CSS Stylesheets or even changed the banner. My news and categories show on the page and I have links to the article and the "more" link. However, when you click the link to the news item or the more link I get a 404 error. It was working fine and then it just stopped going to the articles.

I uninstalled the whole thing and reinstalled several hours later and got the same problem again.

I'm not sure what other information someone might need, but my site is perkinsventures.com/research. I'm still editing and adding content, but wanted to set some stuff up in the News to see how it all worked.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: News Module stopped working

Post by DIGI3 »

If you go to Site Admin > Settings - News module, then under the Options tab scroll down to "Default page to use for for detail views:" is a page set? If not, try setting one. If it is, make sure it's a valid and active page.

If that doesn't solve it, make sure to provide your PHP version (or your entire settings, which can be copy/pasted by clicking "View Text Report" the System Information page) so we can try to recreate the issue.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

Additionally, I see in that page template (CSSMenu top + 2 columns) that the {News} tag has a detailpage='news' parameter - so it will require a page with the alias of 'news' - if you renamed or deleted that page it could be causing the problem. You can change the detailpage= parameter to an existing page, or remove the parameter entirely so it will use the page defined in the Options as described in my previous post.
CBeheiry

Post by CBeheiry »

I tried every setting in the Site Admin, Setting - News Module and in the Content area and all combinations possible. Still doesn't work. Clicking the category, title of the news article, and the more button all lead to a 404 page. The only work around I found at the moment is posting a link in the Summary section and just creating Content pages to link to. I would like for it to work properly though. Here is the other information from the text file as you requested. I have been using CMSMS right "out of the box" to this point.

----------------------------------------------

Cms Version: 2.2.16

Installed Modules:

AdminSearch: 1.0.6
CMSContentManager: 1.1.9
CmsJobManager: 0.1.3
DesignManager: 1.1.9
FileManager: 1.6.12
FilePicker: 1.0.5
MenuManager: 1.50.3
MicroTiny: 2.2.5
ModuleManager: 2.1.8
Navigator: 1.0.9
News: 2.51.11
Search: 1.53

Config Information:

php_memory_limit:
max_upload_size: 32000000
url_rewriting: none
page_extension:
query_var: page
auto_alias_content: true
locale:
set_names: true
timezone: UTC
permissive_smarty: false

Php Information:

phpversion: 7.4.33
md5_function: On (True)
json_function: On (True)
gd_version: 2
tempnam_function: On (True)
magic_quotes_runtime: Off (False)
E_ALL: 32767
E_STRICT: 2048
E_DEPRECATED: 8192
test_file_timedifference: No time difference found
test_db_timedifference: No time difference found
create_dir_and_file: 1
memory_limit: 128M
max_execution_time: 30
register_globals: Off (False)
output_buffering: 4096
disable_functions:
open_basedir:
test_remote_url: Success
file_uploads: On (True)
post_max_size: 32M
upload_max_filesize: 32M
session_save_path: /opt/alt/php74/var/lib/php/session (0700)
session_use_cookies: On (True)
xml_function: On (True)
xmlreader_class: On (True)
check_ini_set: On (True)
curl: On

Performance Information:

allow_browser_cache: On (True)
browser_cache_expiry: 60
php_opcache: On (True)
smarty_cache: Off (False)
smarty_compilecheck: Off (False)
auto_clear_cache_age: On (True)
Server Information:

Server Software: Apache
Server Api: litespeed
Server Os: Linux 2.6.32-954.3.5.lve1.4.82.el6.x86_64 On x86_64
Server Db Type: MySQL (mysqli)
Server Db Version: 5.7.40
Server Db Grants: Found a "GRANT ALL" statement that appears to be suitable

Permission Information:

tmp: /home/u4sozaom5glg/public_html/research/tmp (0755)
tmp_cache: /home/u4sozaom5glg/public_html/research/tmp/cache (0755)
templates_c: /home/u4sozaom5glg/public_html/research/tmp/templates_c (0755)
modules: /home/u4sozaom5glg/public_html/research/modules (0755)
uploads: /home/u4sozaom5glg/public_html/research/uploads (0755)
File Creation Mask (umask): /home/u4sozaom5glg/public_html/research/tmp/cache (0755)
config_file: 0600
----------------------------------------------

Default page to use for detail views I had set to Home as it is the one page I have not changed at all. I couldn't find where to set an alias for a news article (URL (slug))? I put in news, News, and 'news'. I am not allowing news articles to be submitted via the fesubmit action. Trying to give you more information on my settings. I can provide screenshots if needed.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

Do you have a Content page that has 'news' as its alias? And/or have you tried removing the detailpage='news' part from the {News} tag in your template?

a 404 error means a page can't be found. It's likely that the destination page isn't there for whatever reason (deleted, inactive, alias changed, etc)
CBeheiry

Post by CBeheiry »

I deleted the original news item that was installed. But this quit working before I did that. I have not modified any templates, stylesheets, nothing, just the settings where you check off boxes etc. I have not altered any of the code anywhere in the original files. As I said before, this is the second install of CMSMS and it has happened twice. No modifications to any of the code in both instances. I only added content, and added news categories. The only exception to the 2nd instance is I deleted the General news category and the news item associated with it.

All of the original content pages are still on the site, they are just inactive (useful information for later). Everything was working just fine. My hubby viewed the site on his computer and he didn't get to see how the news module worked. I wanted to see if a visitor could view everything on the site without having to get an account and login. Then the News Module simply stopped working.

After that incident I found a work around just in case we couldn't get it working again. My only other option is to uninstall the whole thing and try again. If the module stops working a 3rd time, then I have a work around to still use it (sorta).
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

The problem is that you don't have a page with the alias of 'news', but your template contains {News detailpage='news'}

You do NOT need to reinstall CMSMS, nothing is broken and nothing has stopped working. You just need to make sure that the {News ... } tag in your template is pointing to a page that exists.

Here's two ways you can easily fix this:
1) Edit your page template, find the {News detailpage='news'} tag and change it to {News detailpage='all-news'}
OR
2) Edit your page called All News, go to the Options tab, and change its alias to 'news'

This isn't just randomly appearing, it's not a bug. It happens when you delete, deactivate, or change the alias of the page called 'news'.

Return to “CMSMS Core”