2 sites - same theme, same server - 1 is ok - the other not

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
mainenotarynet
Forum Members
Forum Members

2 sites - same theme, same server - 1 is ok - the other not

Post by mainenotarynet »

I have been using CMSMS for years, won't upgrade to 2 series as I have tons of Global Content Blocks that I don't want to loose or give access to those that don't need it so, I am on 1.12 Kolonia

Site 1 looks fine (https://k1pq.club) the other Which was running perfectly up until last week (https://n1me.org), looks like the cat dragged in a few 'presents' and left them in my slippers.

the N1ME is the older of the two sites and I was (aside from colors, making K1PQ site look very similar -- K1PQ looks as it should, but somehow the originating site N1ME, lost all its css and now looks terrible (almost like it is stuck in mobiloe mode, but even coloring on some pages is not honored

CentOs7 /PHP was 5.5.??, but upgraded now to 5.6.40 (no change in the 'mess'

You tell me what you need me to provide and I'll do it.

I have gone line by line in both the templates and all attached stylesheets (order of which is Accessability/simplex:Print/Simplex:core/Simplex:layout/Menu-verical/and Calguys calendar [that is a different story, on admin the calendar shows, in pages it does not])

Looking for typos, missing ; or other punctuations. both sites are exactly the same, but the original has lost all sense of CSS,

I have empied the tmp/cache and tmp/templates_c and also cleared the cache in the admin pages but still looks like fertilizer.

I have tried everything to get this back working, and now I am asking for help as I cannot get this working again.

Tell me what you need and I will provide it

Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: 2 sites - same theme, same server - 1 is ok - the other

Post by velden »

n1me.org: one of the linked stylesheets seems completely empty
https://n1me.org/tmp/cache/stylesheet_c ... cdabfb.css
mainenotarynet
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by mainenotarynet »

Yes it is, but you want to give me insight as to why, since the two that are missing from the list are the Core and the Layout. and Since this was working, why did it become blank?

Also Since everything was done in the Admin/Layout/Templates and Stylesheets and then clicking the Submit button - How did it become blank when it was perfectly fine before.

And before you ask, the tmp tmp/cache tmp/templates_c are all 777 (rwxrwxrwx) so it shouldn't be a write permission thing.

Any help appreciated. Thanks
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

You might want to try removing all of the media type settings and resubmitting the stylesheets, I remember running into a glitch with that on one or two 1.x sites. Either use queries or try putting them back in again later.

Then upgrade. There's plenty of options for GCB's, all of which will take less time than you'll spend on the next issue as you get more and more out of date.
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
mainenotarynet
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by mainenotarynet »

tried disassociating all stylesheets in the template, and re-adding them.

This is all trough my Admin Log:
Plugin: cms_stylesheet Smarty Compile process failed, unable to write cache file 05/31/19 10:06:39

Here is what I have
----------------------------------------------

Cms Version: 1.12.2

Installed Modules:

CMSMailer: 5.2.14
CMSPrinting: 1.0.5
FileManager: 1.4.5
MenuManager: 1.8.7
MicroTiny: 1.2.9
ModuleManager: 1.5.8
News: 2.15.2
Search: 1.7.13
ThemeManager: 1.1.8
Gallery: 2.3.2
CGSimpleSmarty: 1.10
CGExtensions: 1.53.19
CGCalendar: 1.16.1
DownloadManager: 1.5.3
Captcha: 1.0
LinkMgr: 2.0
JQueryTools: 1.4.0.1

Config Information:

php_memory_limit:
process_whole_template:
max_upload_size: 32000000
url_rewriting: mod_rewrite
page_extension:
query_var: page
image_manipulation_prog: GD
auto_alias_content: true
locale:
default_encoding: utf-8
admin_encoding: utf-8
set_names: true

Php Information:

phpversion: 5.6.40
md5_function: On (True)
gd_version: 2
tempnam_function: On (True)
magic_quotes_runtime: Off (False)
E_STRICT: 0
E_DEPRECATED: 0
memory_limit: 128M
max_execution_time: 90
output_buffering: 4096
safe_mode: Off (False)
file_uploads: On (True)
post_max_size: 32M
upload_max_filesize: 32M
session_save_path: /home/psarc/tmp (0750)
session_use_cookies: On (True)
xml_function: On (True)
xmlreader_class: On (True)

Server Information:

Server Api: cgi-fcgi
Server Db Type: MySQL (mysqli)
Server Db Version: 5.5.60
Server Db Grants: Found a "GRANT ALL" statement that appears to be suitable
Server Time Diff: No filesystem time difference found

----------------------------------------------

When 2.X came out it was stated that the GCB was turned into templates or stylesheets (can't remember which) because that was where you normally put the tags. And due to this change, the users would need access to that section to modify the GCBs, not prudent as now people that just need to modify GCBs would have access to all of the Templates or Stylesheets (again, can't remember which) and If I can break the site and know what I'm doing - can you imagine the damage by someone who just need GCB access going where they shouldn't.

Put GCBs back the way they were and I'd upgrade my three sites today.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Plugin: cms_stylesheet Smarty Compile process failed, unable to write cache file 05/31/19
This message comes directly from smarty, and is fairly self explanatory. Smarty could not write the cache file.

This is either a path, permissions, or disk space issue.

On the next note:

It was determined that GCB's "Global Content blocks" were primarily being used as templates (they contained smarty tags, requiring users to know HTML and CMSMS and smarty plugins). In fact, they were always implemented as smarty templates. Therefore it made sense to just call them 'templates' and be done with it. This opened up more flexibility, and solved way more problems than it caused.

For the few cases that users had WYSIWYG editors and just typed in some content, without the need for HTML or CMSMS/smarty knowledge, it would be relatively easy for a third party module to replace that functionality. And in fact there are a few modules for 2.x that provide that functionality and more.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
mainenotarynet
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by mainenotarynet »

Path to what, permissions for what and diskspace is a non issue (1 terabyte Dedicated VPS server .

And if this were so, then WHY doe the other identical site work correctly, both have same stylesheets (think C/P and change colors) the K1PQ site is what the N1ME site SHOULD look like sans different colorations. The N1ME was working fine up until last week.

What files do you need me to post? I will post them.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

You need to change this call on line 57, maybe?..
<! End Favicon Language -->
Should be...
<!-- End Favicon Language -->
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

If Smarty is having trouble writing the cache file, then that's where you need to focus your efforts. To me it seems like it's what calguy pointed out - an issue writing to cache is almost always ownership, permission, disk space, or similar. There's a possibility there's a something corrupt in the css database field itself that's causing it to fail, to eliminate that you'd need to copy and paste it into a new stylesheet then delete the old one, and/or remove sections at a time to see if you can find the problem.

As a workaround, if you're not using any Smarty in the stylesheet, you could always copy it into a flat file and call it manually.

The other avenue to follow is, if it worked up until last week, find out what changed. Nothing just stops working without something changing - PHP version, enabling of mod_security, disk quotas, corrupt file created in the cache, database corruption, etc.
mainenotarynet
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by mainenotarynet »

Although that coment tag was a typo, no joy. As stated I have 6 stylesheets -- only four show up when called and one comes up blank (smarty can't load them).

I did not change anything of consequence and this was the set I was adjusting the WORKING site from.

Everything between K1PQ site and N1ME site have the same stylesheets, the same templates (aside from site name and such, identical in every way) same PHP, same smarty, same VPS Box, Same memory, same everything -- K1PQ works just fine, the original, first site that has been fine for over 3 years now does not.

If database is corrupted then there is noo more I can do but start over which I needed this particular site fixed for tomorrow (we have an event and our site look like...yuck.

C/P all the stylesheets to a corrupted database would be a futile effort.

Guess I know what I';ll be doing all next week. I guess there is nothing else to say on this.

Not solved but pointless to continue -- I don't want to start over but I guess I'll have to.

Thanks anyways for suggestions, but I don't know smarty and both sites have same settings and as for flat file calling the stylesheets, that defeats CMSMS now doesn't it.

Close now, not going to waste any more time on a futile effort with no real solutions presented.

Thanks anyways
Maine Notary Net Clear.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

Copy/paste wouldn't necessarily be futile, chances are your clipboard wouldn't copy any hidden entity that could be causing the problem. I never suggested the database was corrupt, I suggested there may be something corrupt in this particular field, and this would be a potential way to see if that's the case.

Copying the css to a flat file and just calling it in your template would take two minutes and offer a reasonable workaround, especially given your short timeframe in which to solve this.

Code: Select all

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="path/to/mystylesheet.css" />
mainenotarynet
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by mainenotarynet »

Well now it went from bad to worse anyways:

I backed up the database and upgraded bad site to 2.2.10 but now I cannot upgrade CGExtensions direct to latest -- throws my site to Server 500. Have to delete the folder in modules, tried again, same result Server 500

Went with lowest yellow triangle, that worked, then next one --Ok third one tells me to upgrade CMSMS Core -- Wher the frig did this go, not showing anywhere.

I'd have devs do it for me, but I aint Rockafeller. SO I guess I wipe clean EVERYTHING and start fresh since it seems 1.x.x -> 2.2.10 is a bad idea.

So much for my weekend!
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

You are using a version of CMSMS that is more than 3 years old, and came off of support more than 2 years ago. It is not a surprise that you are not getting much help.

Flying blindly in a panic to try to solve a problem is never a good idea, and that seems to be what you are doing. And then, when things aren't working you are trying to take your frustrations out by bitching at the very people that possibly could render assistance.

Just a hint. CMSMS is a complex machine that can be infinitely customised and is also dependant upon the host in which you are running. If the site 'was running' and 'no longer runs' or explicits strange symptoms, and you can swear that nobody has done anything to the installation, then by the process of elimination something on your host has changed.

Either way it will take time, patience, and access to the proper tools to diagnose.

BTW: If you had read the forum rules, and then, therefore read the changelog to CMSMS, and the modules that you tried to upgrade you would not have had your latest problem with upgrades as you would have been aware.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
mainenotarynet
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by mainenotarynet »

Well, my event is over so the site can be worked on more slowly, however some of my modules now cannot be updates because I keep getting the message to update CMSMS:Core, which I cannot find. Is there something I can do or is this a wipe and start fresh?

I don't mind doing it as I can Cp to a text editor all my current info, but if there is an easier way without wiping clean, I'd rather do that.

I have Cerebral Palsy so if I came across as bitching and complaining, and rushing things, I appologize. My CMSMS 1.12 has been running for a few years without incident and you know what they say, If it aint broke... (well now it broke, which I have no idea how, that is what frustrates me).

I love my CMSMS, but going to the 2 series due to how the GCBs were moved to templates and I really don't want people to be able to change ALL templates (just the GCBs) -- is that what the additional editors box is for, to only allow certain people (with or without full template rights) to help with the editing?

I am not so keen on the new admin on 2.2.10, but I'll get used to it.

I have 4 sites I need to upgrade to the 2 series, buut I need the one that is messed up fixed first.

Again, I appologize and do appreciate any help in repairing my fouled up site.

Thank You

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”