New module for building Progressive Web Apps - CGSimplePWA

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

New module for building Progressive Web Apps - CGSimplePWA

Post by calguy1000 »

Progressive Web Apps are simple enhancements to your HTTPS based, responsive website that will provide the ability for users to add an icon to their mobile device's home screen and to provide an app-like experience.

I have been working with Progressive Web Apps for a while now (at least since the summer). And while the basics of a PWA are relatively simple for experienced developers that are familiar to with Javascript, there are a number of steps.

So I have written a new module called "CGSimplePWA" that removes some of these steps and makes creating a simple progressive web app easier.

What it does:
- Creates a manifest.json given details you provide, including a large icon.
- Creates a simple service worker to allow caching resources
- Creates the appropriate meta tags (including IOS meta tags)
- Provides a new content type to allow creating an optional (but recommended) offlien page.
- Allows specifying the URLS of assets to cache.
- Handles auto-updating of the service worker when you change resources or offline page content.
- Automatically caches assets in the /assets path.

What you need:
1. Your installation must be served via HTTPS.
You should be doing this already, it's free with letsencrypt.
2. Your site must be responsive and work well on mobile devices
You are probably doing this already anyways

So. I encourage you to check out this new module at: http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/projects/cgsimplepwa and try it on your next project.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”