Migration from 1.9.1 to the latest version?

Help with getting the CMS CORE package up and running. This does not include 3rd party modules, PHP scripts, anything downloaded via module manager or from any external source.
euromade
Forum Members
Forum Members

Migration from 1.9.1 to the latest version?

Post by euromade »

I have a rather large corporate Intranet database still running on the 1.9.1 release and Ubuntu 10 server.

What is the best way to move the whole system to the new hardware and software?

I have purchased a new server, uploaded the 16.04 Ubuntu, but I'm unable to install the 1.9.1 platform and restore the "live" database and slowly upgrade it to the latest release. When I try to install the 1.9.1 I get a white screen...there were a few prompts beforehand related to the permissions, which I took care of...

I'm reluctant to use the live database in order to perform the incremental updates. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Re: Migration from 1.9.1 to the latest version?

Post by Jo Morg »

euromade wrote:What is the best way to move the whole system to the new hardware and software?
euromade wrote:I'm reluctant to use the live database in order to perform the incremental updates. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
You should use a copy of the original that should be backed up along with the files of the site of course.

https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/moving
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/upgrading/old-versions
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/upgrading/to-cmsms-2.x

All documented...
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

Yeah, create a copy of the original CMSMS instance on your original server - and upgrade that. Then copy over to your new server.
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
euromade
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by euromade »

Thanks for the info!
My only concern is if something goes wrong with the upgrade I would not be able to restore it anymore. Maybe I should setup another system with identical software (if I can find everything that old) and do the upgrade. Once that's done, then migrate everything to the new hardware...
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

Most times I create a subfolder to do testing/upgrading, thesite.com/dev

Copy all folder/files into the subfolder, export the DB, create a new empty DB, import DB, change the config.php to use new DB, make changes/upgrades to new subfolder site...
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

Agree with Dr CSS. Once the upgrade is tested and working ok you can then copy and paste that version of the site over the live site. That way you can work on the upgrade whilst keeping the live site unaffected.
To copy System Information to the forum:
https://docs.cmsmadesimple.org/troubles ... nformation

CMS Made Simple Geekmoots attended:
Nottingham, UK 2012 | Ghent, Belgium 2015 | Leicester, UK 2016
euromade
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by euromade »

Thank you very much for your help!

One last question:
Is there a matrix that shows what version Ubuntu/MySql is compatible with the corresponding CMS releases?

As of now I have a 10.04 Ubuntu server and running the 1.9.1.
How many "jumps/CMS upgrades" can I get on this server (as I'm sure newer versions of CMS require newer mySQL server); before I have to transition to a new Ubuntu server.

I do have the latest Ubuntu server already staged (16.04), but I'm not sure
what's the "oldest" CMS version compatible with the 16.04 architecture. ( I tried loading the 1.9.1 on the 16.04 but it did not work)

I would like to upgrade from 1.9.1 as far as I can on the existing server, and then migrate to the new server and apply the rest of the CMS upgrade until reach the most recent CMS release.

Thanks again!
euromade
Forum Members
Forum Members

[SOLVED] Migration from 1.9.1 to the latest version?

Post by euromade »

Still cleaning up the install; but it looks like the majority of the work is done.
Here are some notes for those jumping from 1.9 to 2.x:

These changes helped me to go from 1.9.x to 1.12.1
(it appears the Menu Manager Module is not compatible with the 2.2.2 version; need to come up with a replacement)

EDIT Your Layout, Style Sheets, Left + 1 column - to brings back the logo:
CHANGE background: url ( '/ uploads / bg.gif');
TO THIS
background: url ([[root_url]] / uploads / bg.gif ');

This needs to be done to restore appropriate home page layout:
Layout, Template, Left simple navigation + 1 column:
Replace Stylesheet with {cms_stylesheet}

euromade wrote:Thank you very much for your help!

One last question:
Is there a matrix that shows what version Ubuntu/MySql is compatible with the corresponding CMS releases?

As of now I have a 10.04 Ubuntu server and running the 1.9.1.
How many "jumps/CMS upgrades" can I get on this server (as I'm sure newer versions of CMS require newer mySQL server); before I have to transition to a new Ubuntu server.

I do have the latest Ubuntu server already staged (16.04), but I'm not sure
what's the "oldest" CMS version compatible with the 16.04 architecture. ( I tried loading the 1.9.1 on the 16.04 but it did not work)

I would like to upgrade from 1.9.1 as far as I can on the existing server, and then migrate to the new server and apply the rest of the CMS upgrade until reach the most recent CMS release.

Thanks again!
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

(it appears the Menu Manager Module is not compatible with the 2.2.2 version; need to come up with a replacement)
This is incorrect. MenuManager does work with CMSMS 2.0 through to 2.2.2. It even comes with CMSMS for the time being. You must have an error in your templates that earlier versions did not detect.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “[locked] Installation, Setup and Upgrade”