Really I can't make sense of 2.1.2

The place to talk about things that are related to CMS Made simple, but don't fit anywhere else.
burlington
Power Poster
Power Poster

Really I can't make sense of 2.1.2

Post by burlington »

Upgrade from. 1.12 xx. I SHOULD have all rights but I am beginning to think that I haven't.

For the life of me, and really this is NOT my only gripe at 2.1.2, I can see NO way to edit a template. I can see the template list, and those that my site is using, BUT I cannot edit the current ones. If I pass the cursor over it, I just get a 'star type' icon'. (there must be a name for that icon!).

According to the system, I seem to have all user rights as I should do as this is an upgrade from an earlier version that I totally controlled. Indeed, the system says that I do BUT, as an example of this, why can't I edit a template? What am I doing wrong?

Yes, I know. It is probably me not being able to follow the new system but I really have tried and life is too short to spend much more time on this!

Sorry folks but I am really unhappy with 2.1.2. I am sure though that in a few years time i will have grown to love it, but not now!

Please don't ask me how I feel about GCB's!!

Martin
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: Really I can't make sense of 2.1.2

Post by calguy1000 »

I've attached a screenshot of what the design manager templates tab looks like in 2.1.3. (hasn't changed since 2.1.2).

When you hover over a template name you see a tooltip with some information about the template, and (depending of course on your browser, and whatever plugins you may have installed) the cursor is the css 'pointer' cursor. In my case, in chrome it's a 'hand'.

You haven't provided any information for us to be able to help you with. Screen shots so that we have a reference to look at? system info,
etc.

If you cannot click on this link then I would do the normal things like:
a: isolate if your issue is site/server specific or browser specific
(test a default install, and test with a different brower).
b: check your javascript error console
I have [seen] problems like this caused by some plugins. Check for validation errors, warnings, notices etc.
c: check your php error log (make sure it is enabled)
d: make sure that mod_security is not an issue (you can actually do this by using a different install, on a completely different server).
Attachments
design-manager-1.png
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
burlington
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by burlington »

Thanks Calguy

Will deal with this tomorrow. When I first tried it all I got was a box saying 'edit design'

Clicking on the template name (the box had gone), brought me to the template list ("what is available and what I am using"), none of which I can edit.

Will do all screen shots tomorrow.

Regards, & thanks

Martin
burlington
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by burlington »

Calguy

Here are 2 screenshots. The template list and then the Manager.

There is no way that I can see by which I can edit a template. If I put my cursor over a template, all I get is a cursor image (printscreen won't copy that!). I can't right click and there is no 'edit' link on the page. Same with the stylesheets.
Attachments
template manager.jpg
template list.jpg
burlington
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by burlington »

This is a reply I wrote before I fully read yours:

I think I have sorted it- just.
Essentially, the editing system is confusing. Looking at the list of templates at the one with a tick indicating it is the one being use, there is a small box to the r/h side. The tooltip stated 'edit design'. If you click it you get to the screen with the listing of available and attached templates-see previous posting. Nowhere on that page is there a link to editing. HOWEVER, if you click 'submit', which presumably should only apply to finalising the attachment/detachment of templates, you come to another 'design manager' screen. Clicking on Templates you get another list AND in that list is the template again (as core page), and on the right hand site is a box with the tooltip 'edit'. Click on that and you get the template code that can be edited.

Now, in my humble view of things this is quite a roundabout way of getting to the real editor, and is the reason why it has taken me so long to get my head around it!

Anyway, thanks for your patience.

Martin
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Designs are designs, and not templates. you are in the 'Design Manager'. which allows editing designs, and managing templates, and stylesheets.

A 'design' is not a template. in loose term a design consists of a collection of 0 more more templates and 0 or more stylesheets.

it is different than in 1.x and takes a bit of thinking and learning
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
velden
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by velden »

HOWEVER, if you click 'submit', which presumably should only apply to finalising the attachment/detachment of templates, you come to another 'design manager' screen
No. This should bring you to the screen you initially go to when clicking 'Design Manager' from the menu: like the screenshot Calguy posted above (note you have to select 'Templates' tab manually)
burlington
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by burlington »

On Sunday afternoon:

Sorry Calguy BUT....

My opinion now is that this program should now be called CMSMD ie CMS made difficult!!

In your response, you said 'it is different than in 1.x and takes a bit of thinking and learning'

OK I agree BUT where is the 'simple' bit?

I admin that I used CMSMS because of the 'simple' bit. The problem now is that it has moved away from the word'simple' to something that is more difficult.

The problem for me, a 'simpleton', ie an 'idiot, is that I do need to know where I go from here. If CMSMS is going to become more complex & technical, I might as well pack it all in and revert to HTML!!

Indeed, the way I feel at the moment is that this is precisely what I want to do!!

Regards, in friendship......

Martin
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

CMSMS is intended for professional [edit: experienced, skilled,] web developers. We give the developers the power to build simple interfaces for end users. (The average content editor.) and everything from silly restaurant brochure sites to complex applications and everything in between. That is our goal, and tag line and has been for years.

"Power for professionals, simple for end users".

And to me, and others... design manager makes sense and is easy to use. 'Simple' is a relative term. That being said there are a few (very minor) adjustments in the works for 2.2
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Rolf »

- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
- + - + - + - + - + - + -
burlington
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by burlington »

Thanks Calguy & Rolf

Of course, I quite agree with everything you have said. My problem has been that I have little time to get my head around the changes.My responsibility of course!

Please, be patient with me. I will get it sorted, hopefully sooner rather than later. Having been a member for the past 10 years, I think I have been through all sorts of traumas, and this latest one hopefully will be the last.

Again, thank you for your support & understanding

Regards

Martin

Return to “The Lounge”