most Gallery display functions not working in simplex theme

The place to talk about things that are related to CMS Made simple, but don't fit anywhere else.
dlen
Forum Members
Forum Members

most Gallery display functions not working in simplex theme

Post by dlen »

Hello folks,

the display functions not working are practically all except slimbox. The error message in Firefox is (in the case of fancybox): "fancybox is not a function".

The reason is twofold:
1. jQuery is loaded twice, once by the gallery module in the page head, and once more by the simplex theme at the page bottom.
2. at least some gallery-jQuery-plugins do not work with modern jQuery without the "migrate"-option.

So to make the thing work,

either deactivate the jQuery loading by the simplex theme
or move it to the head, while activating the loading of the "migrate"-option again as suggested by the simplex-theme-author, and deactivating the jQuery loading in the Gallery template.

I personally would like to see both the theme and the module altered in such a way, that such tweaks ar no more necessary, because they make cmsms cumbersome to work with, which is a pity. As my knowledge is at most intermediate, i would like to spark a discussion about the steps to take. I filed a bug report in the Gallery bug list a while ago: http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/bug/view/10637
Jos
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: most Gallery display functions not working in simplex th

Post by Jos »

Thank you dlen,

The jQuery thing is not something a module-developer can help you with, so I guess you filed your bugreport at the wrong place.

Fancybox 1.x series is end-of-life. There is Fancybox 2.x but that one is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 license, which means you need to pay a fee to use fancyBox for commercial websites. Therefore I think it is not appropriate to include that version in Gallery, because someone could easily not notice that restriction.

Guess I just need to exclude Fancybox 1.x from Gallery.
dlen
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dlen »

Thanks, Jos, for your reply.

apart from fancybox, the problem with loading jQuery twice seems to me a more profound one, affecting many modules.

Is there a convention in CMSMS, how the loading of jQuery, and the initialisation of modules that use jQuery, should be organized?
Jos
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by Jos »

As far as I know there is no convention.
The usual method is that modules don't do this at all, but the user should add the call to the jquery library manualy in a template, global metadata field, or page metadata. The same for any other javascript.

At the time the Gallery module was first released, jquery wasn't that commonly used. My idea was that it would help the user to insert javascript and css automatically, so the user can easily switch to another gallery-template without much fuzz.

I haven't found a way to check serverside that jquery is allready included. So my basic idea is that it's easier for a user to delete a row from the template than to add one.

In addition, I have been busy this evening to make it possible to insert the javascript to the end of the body element, in stead of the head. The next release will have an option for that, which you can set for each gallery-template (In fact, the latest Lightbox 2.8.2 will need that, otherwise it won't work at all)
Jo Morg
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Jo Morg »

dlen wrote:Is there a convention in CMSMS, how the loading of jQuery, and the initialisation of modules that use jQuery, should be organized?
Jos wrote:As far as I know there is no convention.
The usual method is that modules don't do this at all, but the user should add the call to the jquery library manualy in a template, global metadata field, or page metadata. The same for any other javascript.
It is a matter of flexibility: CMSMS has a tag that allows a frontend developer to include JQuery on a template. It's not mandatory, you can use it or not at your discretion. Module developers can include their own libraries and even use different ones than JQuery. It's each developer's responsibility to provide enough documentation on the use of the module, but it's also the user's (read frontend developer's and/or web developer's) responsibility to actually read it. Some modules may not have enough documentation (it's hard to document a module and some developers do just the minimum), but there are no conventions when the use of a convention may limit the flexibility of the whole system.
The templates provided are samples that have the sole purpose of documenting by example on one side, and of giving a startup for beginners to build up on on the other. They are not perfect, and you should not expect them to work with all and every module as much as you shouldn't expect every module to work with the sample templates out of the box, although every effort is made in that sense from the Dev Team and the developers of most modules (and Jos amongst them).
"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary... and those who don't."
* by the way: English is NOT my native language (sorry for any mistakes...).
Code of Condut | CMSMS Docs | Help Support CMSMS
My developer Page on the Forge
GeekMoot 2015 in Ghent, Belgium: I was there!
GeekMoot 2016 in Leicester, UK: I was there!
DevMoot 2023 in Cynwyd, Wales: I was there!
dlen
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dlen »

Thanks both for your answers.

As i see now, the info about jquery beeing loaded twice is existing on http://wiki.cmsms.nl/index.php/Gallery.

Sometimes testing it out for 2 hours can save 20 minutes of reading documentation ;-).
Rolf
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Rolf »

- + - + - + - + - + - + -
LATEST TUTORIAL AT CMS CAN BE SIMPLE:
Migrating Company Directory module to LISE
- + - + - + - + - + - + -

Return to “The Lounge”