Beta policy, or the lack thereof

A place to discuss the testing process in beta cycles or against SVN for the CMS Made Simple CORE package.
Franck
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Beta policy, or the lack thereof

Post by Franck »

Hello,

I was wondering why there is no beta version everytime a new version (with new features, like the 2.1) to test by users?

For the version 2.0, I had the chance to test it quite early and find several bugs & propose UX suggestions. So could it be possible to release beta versions in a regular cycle?

Thank you.
pierrepercee
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Beta policy, or the lack thereof

Post by pierrepercee »

This would also facilitate the work of developers. Test phases is very time-consuming but does not require very specific skills. If some users may have the chance to test the latest versions, this will probably also prevent small forgotten details that lead to publish a bug fix release very quickly.
DIGI3
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by DIGI3 »

We have tried public betas in the past with mixed results, but I think it may be time we revisited them again.

The Dev Team will be discussing ideas at the next meeting. It may be the creation of a Testing Team, or some other method of release that's less than fully public.

Thanks for the input!
Not getting the answer you need? CMSMS support options
Franck
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by Franck »

Thanks for your answer. A testing team could be a good idea, indeed. Wait and see then. :)
jce76350
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Post by jce76350 »

It may be the creation of a Testing Team
There is already QA group in the dev team ;)
Best Way is a daily snapshots for all.
Jean-Claude Etiemble
tristan
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by tristan »

I would vote in favour of beta releases/daily snapshots as well. The bug with locking in the recent 2.1 release is a perfect example. This could've been caught very easily with a beta release.

This could also work perfectly for module releases by the way. The small bug in the Self Registration module being a good example. Kindly fixed by Robert back in October on his private svn but only released to the public in December but introducing a bigger problem along the way.

Maybe the QA group could use some extra help?

Return to “[locked] Quality Assurance”