[open] installation issue

Forum rules
Only administrators can post or move items here.
rguitar

[open] installation issue

Post by rguitar »

Hi - I just installed the beta 2.0 beta 3 and had a bit of glitch when it came to step 7 install files. The directory did not have the proper permissions, but the install script proceeded to step 8 without any error warning. So I got to step 9 and the site didn't work, no warnings about what was wrong.

Once I clued in about the directory permissions, I went back to step 7 again and then everything proceeded correctly.

This is on a new install.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: installation issue

Post by calguy1000 »

The system is supposed to check to ensure that it has write access to ALL files and directories in the installation directory at step 3 to prevent this very problem.

could you try again? as we have others complaining about the exact opposite of this problem.

For future reference, the installation assistant has no way of knowing what files or directories belong to CMSMS, and what doesn't during the installation or upgrade phase. There is no 'master file list' (as that would have to change for each and every version of CMSMS). So it simply checks if it has write access to all files and directories.

So therefore if you have other documents or software in the CMSMS installation directory you may need to change their permissions before you can continue the installation. Optionally, you can choose a different installation directory OR move the files out of the way.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
KO
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: [open] installation issue

Post by KO »

Hi,

I had exactly same happening when I tried beta3. I got to step 7 where it complained not having enough permission to write to install folder I had selected on previous steps.

I chmod'ed more permissions and continued to step 8 and 9 without knowing that step 7 actually should do more than check install folder permissions. It should install the actual files to run the CMS it seems.

I went back to Step 7 and this time it installed files as it had permissions and continued till Step 9 and got a working system.

This was with zip file (not phar) unzipped to a folder outside of webroot.

I double checked this and Step 3 does not check for file permissions it seems. It checks for PHP environment.
Step 7 does not check it either even if it complains if permissions are not right and it let's you to continue even if install folder is not writable.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: [open] installation issue

Post by calguy1000 »

Step 3 checks for file AND directory permissions AND the php environment. The code for this has changed a bit here and there to be a bit smarter (in the case of directories built by the web environment that are not writable by the php environment).

But this has been tested numerous times, I can't see any difficulties at this time.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “Closed Issues”