Intermodule communication in the backend

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
Guido
Forum Members
Forum Members

Intermodule communication in the backend

Post by Guido »

Hi,

I've been thinking about this quite some time now, and have searched the net a bit to see if there have been attempts, but without real succes. Let me explain what I would like to do:

Say you sell products on your site, and you also have a blog. While writing you blog in the backend, you'd like to select a number of products that are related to this post (lets say you're writing a story about the best way to use an angle grinder and you'd like to refere to angle grinders you sell). The nicest way to do this would be if the entry form for the blog post contained a dynamic dropdown or multiple picklist that was directly related to the products module.

Now I know we can make custom module templates for the backend, which is mainly used to hide fax input fields and stuff like that. But could we also call a different module from here and have the results stored in a custom field entry in the database?

The example above was not a real life one, more meant to explain what I mean by 'intermodule communication'.

Just trying to find some ways to improve functionality, I'm not skilled enough to pull this off solo but maybe someone has some ideas on this?

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”