Recently modified pages list in admin Content -> Pages

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Recently modified pages list in admin Content -> Pages

Post by paulbaker »

One of my CMSMS sites has 100+ pages. Of those, only perhaps 10 pages are updated regularly. When you go to Content -> Pages on a big site like this you have to scroll down to the same few pages each time which gets tiresome.

An improvement would be an (optional) list at the top of the Pages page showing the last 10 pages to be modified by any admin.

A bit like the recently_updated tag except on the admin side.

I don't think this exists. How might I even begin creating it?
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Recently modified pages list in admin Content -> Pages

Post by gocreative »

I'm no programmer, but what about creating a new DB table which includes a page ID and modified date. Whenever a page is updated, store the details in the database. On the list of pages, manually insert a simple list using the data from that table.
klenkes
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by klenkes »

I manage a site with 350+ pages in a lot of sublevels like 3.4.12.5
Such a feature would be a huge improvement for big sites.
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jmcgin51 »

paulbaker wrote:One of my CMSMS sites has 100+ pages. Of those, only perhaps 10 pages are updated regularly. When you go to Content -> Pages on a big site like this you have to scroll down to the same few pages each time which gets tiresome.

An improvement would be an (optional) list at the top of the Pages page showing the last 10 pages to be modified by any admin.

A bit like the recently_updated tag except on the admin side.

I don't think this exists. How might I even begin creating it?
CMSMS has admin shortcuts that can be used to link directly to any page for editing. Bookmark those 10 (or however many) pages in the admin panel, and then they're available at a click, no scrolling down or searching through hundreds of pages.

This isn't quite what you're looking for in terms of a recently-updated list, but I think it gets pretty close to doing what you want, and it's in the current software, so no dev work needed! :-)
applejack
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by applejack »

Remove the default column and replace by a sortable last modified date column would be nice.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

I'm liking the thought process there...killing 2 birds with 1 stone. O0

(See http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/viewtopi ... 21&t=56930 Get rid of default page in column view in the page screen)
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

As I mentioned in my presentations at #geekmoot there are alot of things that we plan to do with the editcontent/listcontent thing.... not the least of which is to move that stuff into a module so that a third party developer could write a replacement which includes features like those listed in this thread.

Maybe the module shipped with CMSMS will have these features, I am not sure yet.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
applejack
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by applejack »

Hope you will at some point post what happened and what was discussed at Geekmoot. Hope it all went well, pity I couldn't make it.
paulbaker
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by paulbaker »

applejack wrote:Hope you will at some point post what happened and what was discussed at Geekmoot.
I posted a little review on the geekmoot board:
http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/viewtopi ... 76&t=60096

It was cool to be in a room full of fellow geeks for a couple of days. ;D
M@rtijn
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by M@rtijn »

applejack wrote:...what happened and what was discussed at Geekmoot....
I wasn't there, but I can garantuee you the future for CMSMS is looking good ;D
Make your community a better place!
applejack
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by applejack »

Good to hear.

One of the issues I think there is with CMS is that when compared to say Drupal and Wordpress just looking at the differences in the respective websites CMSMS comes across as a bit amateurish. This I think in some ways is a real shame because from my experience CMSMS wins hands down by a mile. I feel it would be good to have a redesign for which I was considering offering my services if I have the time or suggesting it to Goran who is clearly a talented designer or opening it up to anyone and let the community judge.

Anyway just an idea what does everyone else think.
M@rtijn
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by M@rtijn »

Hmm, I think it is not bad at all, in my opinion it is looking very good and contains everything I should possibly want to know about CMSMS.
Also I believe it was quitte recent that Emeka Rajis and Dr. CSS did a redesign of the frontpage.

Maybe you can explain what it is exactly that makes the site look a bit amateurish in your opinion?
applejack
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by applejack »

Re: Maybe you can explain what it is exactly that makes the site look a bit amateurish in your opinion?

Take a look at Drupal.org and wordpress.org if you haven't recently and hopefully you will see the difference.

With the CMSMS site there are far to many different colours which looks at bit of a mishmash to my eyes (the light lime green is particularly unappealing) I also think the content could be better presented to bring out more the benefits etc of using CSMS both as a developer and as a business. It could do with an overall face lift to make it look more contemporary.
M@rtijn
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by M@rtijn »

Taste is something personal ofcourse. Personally I like the colorfull design of the cmsms website and it's not like every color from the rainbow has been used. It's just 1 more color if you compare it to drupal. ;)

But we are getting very offtopic here.
applejack
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by applejack »

M@rtijn My point I suppose is I would like CMSMS to get the same level of recognition and more that systems such as Drupal and Wordpress get as I think it more than deserves it. And one way I think is to enhance the current look and feel of the website.

I was just wondering if this point may have been raised at Geekmoot and if not then perhaps it should.

There are other issues such as whether or not some modules should start to become paid for as I do feel that people such as Robert who after all has 5 kids to feed should have an avenue in which to make at least some more revenue from all their hard work.

If ultimately this leads to a stronger community etc then it is a question worth asking otherwise the alternative maybe that there is no community at all.
Last edited by applejack on Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Feature ideas”