Multi-Language Websites Poll

General project discussion. NOT for help questions.

With respect to multi-language websites, please tell us about your needs:

Poll ended at Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:55 pm

I regularly need to create multi-language websites
50%
I have an occasional need for multi-language websites
34%
I never need to create multi-language websites
16%

Total votes: 252

dmagill
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Multi-Language Websites Poll

Post by dmagill »

Hey radoado,

I am in no way part of the development team, but what you are mentioning is just one of the problems that the support crews and users ran into. Some modules worked fine, others worked odd, some did not work. Forcing the members to struggle through as best they could to help.

In some cases the modules in question may need a minor tweak or to be redone entirely, and I can not see Alby redoing all those modules to work with his version of the CMS, nor can I see the majority of module creators doing all that work. Having said that, some will, some wont and the rest is relative to the moment of interest.

Just my $0.02 cents and an small fraction of the problem...
Wilmar
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Wilmar »

Is it an idea to install a bunch of other opensource CMS's and look how they did tackle this issue.

I have some clients who need bi-lingual sites (dutch and english). A decent build in multi-lingual solution would be great!
Essie
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Essie »

gocreative wrote:in instances where my clients have required multiple languages, I've simple added Google Translate to the footer.
I've tried adding links to Google Translation and/or Babelfish translation to the footer before. Honestly, unless you are translating from English to any European languages like French or German, I find these translators really suck on English to Japanese, Korean and Chinese big time. It only works if it is translation within oriental languages (ie. Chinese to Japanese). Unfortunately for me, most of my websites demand to be in Chinese and English so adding such translation links just does not work for me.
chica2

Post by chica2 »

denli wrote:I do this ;D :
http://www.i-do-this.com/blog/25/Anothe ... CMSMS-Page , Goran (and Ron) has saved me more than ones with there tutorials ;)

it works great and doesn't break into the core!
Easy to set up for me and uses already existing modules (also from calguy) to make it work.
I do agree!! great thing.

Chica2
janaf
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by janaf »

I was using CMSMLE and switched to the MLEcms module when CMSMLE was not supported any more.

I had to rebuild one site with three languages / 33 pages into a new 99 page using the CMSmle module. It probably took me about half a day. Both models work for me.

At some point I also tried Babel.

Of my sites, eight of ten are multi-language content. Three are CMSMS. I just started making one in Joomla.

I did consider using separate CMSMS sites / subdomains / installs per language but it did not seem practical. If sites could share templates, stylesheet and module management, i would consider it again.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

I did consider using separate CMSMS sites / subdomains / installs per language but it did not seem practical. If sites could share templates, stylesheet and module management, i would consider it again.
BTW: CGContentUtils allows exporting/importing content and templates between sites. Not a perfect solution as it isn't automatic... but with time, it could be.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

Essie wrote:
gocreative wrote:in instances where my clients have required multiple languages, I've simple added Google Translate to the footer.
I've tried adding links to Google Translation and/or Babelfish translation to the footer before. Honestly, unless you are translating from English to any European languages like French or German, I find these translators really suck on English to Japanese, Korean and Chinese big time. It only works if it is translation within oriental languages (ie. Chinese to Japanese). Unfortunately for me, most of my websites demand to be in Chinese and English so adding such translation links just does not work for me.
Yeah, it's far from perfect. In these cases the language option was simply to allow more people to view the content in their own language, and not intended to be a complete multi-language solution.
janaf
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by janaf »

I have found that Google translate is actually a fast way to translate: let Google translate as a draft, correct all the funny stuff. For me this is usually faster than typing my own translation.
klendino
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by klendino »

I'm using 2 languages and I'm pretty happy with workarounds proposed in the wiki.
I would be nice though to have the option to enter all information on a single page, but for simple content no so much an issue.
gocreative
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by gocreative »

If you want to be able to edit the content in the same place, just create extra content blocks for alternate languages. Move them all into a 'Languages' tab to prevent the page being huge. Then use cookies or session variables to choose which content block to display on the front end.
SolsWebdesign

Post by SolsWebdesign »

Hi,

I'm from the Netherlands and it being a relatively small country means I regularly make Multi-Language CMSMS sites. I use MLE (great extension!) and have adapted it to fit my demands. :)
joecannes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by joecannes »

The last working version of that module worked with CMSMS 1.8.2, and unfortunately, all my clients are stuck on that version, and I cannot upgrade them. (I even have Government of Canada websites running CMSMS MLE)
calguy1000 wrote: I suggest you change those sites immediately as the 1.8.2 series and other versions of CMSMS have very well known and well advertised security flaws.
I totally agree with what your saying Calguy, but there is no easy alternative at this point. For a small site, I can use the other methods described, and not take a hit, but when I have 500+ page sites, it is difficult to convince a client to recreate the site.

Moreover, it looks bad on CMSMS' part, as we chose this CMS based on the MLE option, and it discredits the CMS when I have to tell the client the CMS does not support the method of handling MLE sites anymore.

In the meetings I've had with clients, one thing they always say and were happy with was the ease of use of handling a CMS MLE site. All they had to do (in my case), was click on the English or French link when editing a page, viewing the page structure, editing a global content block.

That being said, still love CMSMS!

Joe Cannes
janaf
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by janaf »

Moreover, it looks bad on CMSMS' part, as we chose this CMS based on the MLE option, and it discredits the CMS when I have to tell the client the CMS does not support the method of handling MLE sites anymore.
A very important point and I am very glad calguy is looking into the issue of Multi-Language websites. For me, the question of a long(er) term solution is much more important than which solution/model is actually used.

The muliti-language content capability was one of the main reasons the first time I choose CMSMS.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

A very important point and I am very glad calguy is looking into the issue of Multi-Language websites
I am not. We are merely gathering a statistic because well.. one was needed. This is absolutely no indication that there will be any work done on CMSMS wrt multi-lang websites.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

calguy1000 wrote:
A very important point and I am very glad calguy is looking into the issue of Multi-Language websites
I am not. We are merely gathering a statistic because well.. one was needed. This is absolutely no indication that there will be any work done on CMSMS wrt multi-lang websites.
Once you have had a chance to interpret the data, can you please at least post (in this thread) where and how you will be proceeding based on the collected data?

I fear that if you don't it could discredit any Polls like this in the future. I could likely be guilty of not voting because "Why vote if they don't listen or even respond to the data". I hope that the data will persuade you to pursue MLE to a certain extent, but if you don't it would be nice to at least have a formal explanation from the dev team as to why you won't.

I have only recently had a request for a multi-lang site and worked with them in the past (outside of CMSMS) but GeekMoot.com touts a high EU usership. As diverse as the EU is, I am guessing the poll data will show a need for better MLE integration. I hope you consider a common need from your majority group.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.

Return to “General Discussion”