Step-by-step guide to CMS for absolute idiots, first draft

Discussion of the documentation project.
tamlyn

Step-by-step guide to CMS for absolute idiots, first draft

Post by tamlyn »

I've been meaning to do this for ages: this is basically a guide for my clients who want to update the content on their websites that I designed using CMSMS and who haven't got a clue. I reckon there must be quite a few web designers out there setting up websites for other people and this may be useful to them too. My philosophy is to tell them the absolute minimum necessary to allow them to do what they want to do so I've been pretty ruthless in what I've left out.

I've still got some way to go (haven't written about file manager, image manager, news or any other modules) but I'd really appreciate some feeback on what I've done so far. Any feedback from clueless bystanders especially appreciated :P

http://www.zenology.co.uk/articles/cms- ... ple-guide/

EDIT: sorry I've blatantly posted this in the wrong forum but I can't work out how to move it to the 'suggestions' child forum. :/
Last edited by tamlyn on Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
cyberman

Re: Step-by-step guide to CMS for absolute idiots, first draft

Post by cyberman »

Thx for this guide, but perhaps you should rename it from

CMS Made Simple.pdf

to

CMS_Made_Simple.pdf

Some OS have problems with empty chars  ;) ...
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

This is great!  Please keep up the good work.  This will be a wonderful tool to get people over the hump on using CMSMS.

Thanks!
pikkabbu

Post by pikkabbu »

Yes, it's a great job !

I wish you explained the "others options" on the create page's option, what they are for and what use they have ;-)

Keep on !

pik
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

pikkabbu wrote: I wish you explained the "others options" on the create page's option, what they are for and what use they have ;-)
what other options?

mark
pikkabbu

Post by pikkabbu »

maksbud wrote:
pikkabbu wrote: I wish you explained the "others options" on the create page's option, what they are for and what use they have ;-)
what other options?

mark
Page options
In Figure 4 you may have noticed that we ignored the second tab, Options. For the most part you
can ignore it too but here is a quick description of what you can find there anyway. The Active
property has been described before and it simply hides the page until you re-activate it. The Show in
Menu property allows you to have a page that doesn't appear in the site navigation menu. This is
useful if you are going to link to it from within the page content (using the Insert/Edit CMSMS Link
button for example) or if you want a page for testing purposes that your visitors cannot see. The
Page Alias option changes what is displayed in the address bar when viewing the page. Check with
your webmaster that it is OK to do so before changing this.
All other options can be ignored.

I mean those options. I've been looking for their meaning in the online manual, but I can't find out what use they are.

;)
pik
tamlyn

Post by tamlyn »

Most of my clients don't need to know what those other options do. And my reasoning is that people who may need to use them are probably competent enough to find out for themselves :P

I need to get that guide finished but I've been really busy recently. Soon, soon...
pikkabbu

Post by pikkabbu »

tamlyn wrote: Most of my clients don't need to know what those other options do. And my reasoning is that people who may need to use them are probably competent enough to find out for themselves :P
I'm afraid I don't fit in any of these two categories  :(

Anyway, I do understand that your clients don't need to know.
I do.

pik

Return to “[locked] Documentation0ld”