Announcing Cms Made Simple 1.9.3 - Motu Tane

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Announcing Cms Made Simple 1.9.3 - Motu Tane

Post by calguy1000 »

Over the past few weeks the CMSMS Dev team has spent hundreds of man hours on the core to address long standing issues, and to fix anything that popped its ugly head up in 1.9.2. We intend to make CMSMS 1.9.3 a good, stable, friendly, fast version that our users could use for a good long time. This should allow us to persue other longer term, though related projects. To that end, there isn't much for new features; though there are a few new buttons and options here and there. The intent of this release was to apply bug fixes only, we were adamant that absolutely no features would 'sneak in', that would cause new issues, and we wanted to be able to distribute a .diff release with this version so we made sure that the database schema was not changed.

In this version, along with all of the regular bug fixes that we fix as we find, we endeavored to comb through the various bug trackers and at least address them in one way, shape, or form. Though not all bugs are 'fixed', there are a surprising number from as far back as 2007 that have been addressed in this version of CMS Made Simple. In addition our ever vigilant Quality Control team has kept a watchful eye on the forum and tested, reproduced, reported, and tested fixes on a number of issues found there.

Perhaps the biggest noticeable change in 1.9.3 is related to browser caching pages. This was actually a bug reported back in 2007 that we had reviewed numerous times previously but didn't quite know how to fix properly (and not break a bunch of other stuff). Well we figured it out. As of CMSMS 1.9.3 cache-able pages can now be cached by your browser, thus giving your visitors a perceived performance increase when re-visiting a page. There is a setting in the global settings page to specify how long those pages should be cached for. and of course, a 'Reload' will reload the latest version of the page. Pages without the 'cache-able' check-mark are not allowed to be cached by the browser.

In the name of caching and performance we've also improved the sample htaccess file (shipped as doc/htaccess.txt) to illustrate some common apache rules that can be used to optimize the performance of your site. We recommend that everybody at least review this file, and implement what they think is appropriate to their site.

The MenuManager has also been re-re-visited and we fixed a number of issues in it, including that pesky $node->parent problem that popped up in 1.9.2. This has been tested extensively, and should now be stable for a good long time.

We recommend you upgrade your websites to 1.9.3 at your earliest convenience so that you can take advantage of the new performance features, and the stability of the latest version of your favorite CMS.

Enjoy!

* As of this release only CMSMS 1.9.2 and CMSMS 1.9.3 are supported by the development team and in the 'official' boards on the forum.
(c) 2011 CMS Made Simple - No reproduction, duplication, modification or translation without explicit consent.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Reclus
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Announcing Cms Made Simple 1.9.3 - Motu Tane

Post by Reclus »

That all sounds fantastic, appreciate all the hard work!
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

it seems some PHP 5.3 specific code snuck in (my fault)... so we'll be issuing a new release shortly.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

we pulled 1.9.3, made the small change tested it, and re-released 1.9.3
You should be golden now.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
nicmare
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nicmare »

upgrade from 1.9.2 with diff package went fine. thank you
PHP Version 5.2.9
Tanzbär
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Tanzbär »

Many Thanx for your hard work. Now I can test my new site project with the new version. ;D

PS:
(c) 2011 CMS Made Simple - No reproduction, duplication, modification or translation without explicit consent.
I thought CMSms is licensed under the GPL? ???
Jos
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by Jos »

I think that remark is ment for the announcement itself :'(
nicmare
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nicmare »

rofl @ fantasy copyright
Last edited by nicmare on Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ODF
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by ODF »

I updated my website with 1.9.2 to 1.9.3 and after that my website was broken. Rollback to 1.9.2 made it come alive again, with the menu missing though.

Suddenly the modules FileManager and MenuManager where gone also, that might explain the menu missing on the website.

Anybody the same problem?!

I'm still trying to get it working again, my first update of CMSMS in 4 years that went wrong.
Reclus
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Reclus »

I had a weird issue (may or maybe not related?)

After a clean install of 1.9.3, I noticed that the Image Manager was buggy, images were appearing and disappearing. Also I could not delete images or create new folders within Image Manager.

I uploaded the (old) include.php from 1.9.2 and it appeared to fix the issue for me - no idea why?
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

I have another issue. TinyMCE dissapeared. Reset settings, static, cache did not work. Then I tried to uncheck "use wysiwug" on that page. Tiny appeared. ??? So, it hides when there's a check mark, and appears when that option is switched off. Before the upgrade everything was fine.
nockenfell
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nockenfell »

replytomk3 wrote:I have another issue. TinyMCE dissapeared. Reset settings, static, cache did not work. Then I tried to uncheck "use wysiwug" on that page. Tiny appeared. ??? So, it hides when there's a check mark, and appears when that option is switched off. Before the upgrade everything was fine.
Logout and login. That fix the TinyMCE problem.
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

nockenfell wrote:
replytomk3 wrote:I have another issue. TinyMCE dissapeared. Reset settings, static, cache did not work. Then I tried to uncheck "use wysiwug" on that page. Tiny appeared. ??? So, it hides when there's a check mark, and appears when that option is switched off. Before the upgrade everything was fine.
Logout and login. That fix the TinyMCE problem.
After SEVERAL cache clears, resets to default, unselecting the new "cache pages in browser" feature, and browser cache empties TinyMCE now works as should. I can't put my finger on which single issue it was. Thanks, nockenfell.
asim

Post by asim »

it seems some PHP 5.3 specific code snuck in...

In fact, I use PHP 5.2.6 and the 1.9.3 update does not work!
ODF
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by ODF »

ODF wrote:I updated my website with 1.9.2 to 1.9.3 and after that my website was broken. Rollback to 1.9.2 made it come alive again, with the menu missing though.

Suddenly the modules FileManager and MenuManager where gone also, that might explain the menu missing on the website.

Anybody the same problem?!

I'm still trying to get it working again, my first update of CMSMS in 4 years that went wrong.
I repaired my website to 1.9.3 with the full install packadge, all the modules are working again 8)

My website appears to be somewhat faster than before, nice sideeffect for all the trouble.

That PHP 5.3 only code messed the whole update up in my opinion, maybe a point to add to the checklist before releasing a new update in the future.

Return to “Announcements”