Server/Software Upgrades

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
replytomk3

Re: Server/Software Upgrades

Post by replytomk3 »

I think it would be useful to document the htaccess rewrite on smf/phpbb/converter forums.
M@rtijn
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by M@rtijn »

It's not that strange actually. Some other boards do this as well, unfortunately it's a constant battle to fight spam and we had to make this decision.

Your help is very much appreciated and you are very welcome in this community.
I think it would be a pity if you removed your account over this. (Just 5 more posts and you're not under 'control' anymore)
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Keep in mind, too, that we're testing out different spam fighting techniques at the same time. If we start to find that the post moderation queue doesn't have a lot of spam in it, then we may drop it, it make it less posts, or whatever. We're trying to find the right balance and aren't afraid to adjust as we see fit.
M@rtijn
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by M@rtijn »

@Ted:

Although I really like the new moderation functions, I see some troubles.

Some users are very impatient and don't understand the moderation queue, above is one example.
Another thing is people who don't understand why his/her topic isn't on the board directly and who start a second thread with a different title and slightly different content.
Because we work with a couple of mods, one will allow the first topic and another mod will allow the second, because he is not aware of the first topic.

On the other hand: I have only seen 3 spam message's in that last 4 days. A very big decrease O0
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

We're having a dev team meeting tomorrow afternoon. I'll discuss it with everyone. This, and the solved topic mod and figure out what to do.

Thanks for your input.
M@rtijn
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by M@rtijn »

Cool!
HTH for a better community ;D
fredp
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by fredp »

Question: Where should we post information regarding topic conversion problems? It's seems that this forum isn't the right place for this ...
Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
... but it does seem like a good place to ask this question! ;)

Thanks for all your efforts to improve the forum environment!

UPDATE: :-[ I answered the question for myself by rereading Ted's post:
Ted wrote:...
If you find any other issues with these items, please let us know in this thread so we can try and fix them asap.
So, problem report to follow...
Last edited by fredp on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
- Abraham Lincoln
M@rtijn
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by M@rtijn »

Ted wrote:We're having a dev team meeting tomorrow afternoon. I'll discuss it with everyone. This, and the solved topic mod and figure out what to do.

Thanks for your input.
Ted,

Any news on this subject?
Make your community a better place!
Gregor
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Gregor »

Ted wrote: Side note. If I install http://www.forumrunner.net/ on this forum, would other people use it (besides me)?
Just installed it and it looks awesome.

Great job on the new form. Have to get just to the different lay out, was pretty much used and happy with the cmsms look. Thumbs up!

Gregor
fredp
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by fredp »

I found a "Modules/Add-Ons" topic (Weird link) that does not display correctly on the new forum software. Details follow. Please let me know if you need more information.

Problem Title: new forum software displays only the first post of a topic
Date: 2011-01-15
URLs : http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/viewtopi ... =7&t=37421
Browsers tested:
  • Firefox 3.6.13/openSUSE11.3 : FAIL
  • Chrome 8.0.552.237/Linux: FAIL
  • Opera Version 11.00 Build 1156 Platform Linux: FAIL
What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Launch Firefox
2. Load http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/viewtopi ... =7&t=37421
3. Only the first of five posts are displayed.

What is the expected result?

Display all five posts for topic.

What happens instead?

Just the first topic is displayed.

Additional information:

I tried to attach screen shots of the problem on Firefox and Chrome, but was unable to do so because of this board's quotas...
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
If this condition is rectified, I'd be happy to attach the screen shots

Client System Configuration:
CPU: Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz
OS: Linux 2.6.34.7-0.7-default #1 SMP 2010-12-13 11:13:53 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux.
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.
- Abraham Lincoln
uniqu3

Post by uniqu3 »

Gregor wrote:
Ted wrote: Side note. If I install http://www.forumrunner.net/ on this forum, would other people use it (besides me)?
Just installed it and it looks awesome.

Great job on the new form. Have to get just to the different lay out, was pretty much used and happy with the cmsms look. Thumbs up!

Gregor
For some reason using forumrunner app on android i cannot login with my credentials
frankmanl
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Server/Software Upgrades - more about WIKI

Post by frankmanl »

The toolbar (when editing pages) disappeared. I don't know if it was gone immediately from the changes on December 31st, or that it disappeared later, but it caught my eye the other day.
In my preferences I unchecked and checked again the option Show edit toolbar (requires JavaScript), I changed the skin from CMSMS to newestcmsms, it al makes no difference: no toolbar.
Sonya

Post by Sonya »

ajprogramming wrote:It is just for new users it is to help prevent spam. Once you have ten post, then they won't have to be approved.
I have seen that the most banned emails and IPs can be found here http://www.stopforumspam.com/ . There is also a mod for phpBB http://lithiumstudios.org/forum/viewtop ... f=31&t=941 Probably, this can save some approving.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Yeah I have already spotted that mod. I'm just hoping to find a few hours to dontate to the forum so that I can try it out. We haven't as yet had much luck with the mods for phpbb... particularly when it comes to moving them over to a custom theme.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Okay, I have applied that mod and setup auto-spam detection, lets see what happens after a few days.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “Announcements”