Coming Soon - CMS Made Simple 1.9

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Coming Soon - CMS Made Simple 1.9

Post by calguy1000 »

Yes, we're still at it.   Even though we are still busy with the preparations for the geekmoot, we have also been continuing development on a 1.9 version that will enter beta testing soon.   Here is what is new and/or changed so far:

Core:
1.  Adds support for custom urls for each content page.
This is huge.  it means that you can now specify whatever URL you want (subject to the same character limitations) for each page in your site.  if you want it to be "/a"  or "/a/really/complicated/path/to/this/page" you can do that.  You can also give two or more pages URLS that end in the same string like:  "cars/ford/used" and "cars/chevrolet/used" .
This system works in addition to the old page id, or page alias (hierarchical or flat) url mechanism.

All of you SEO geeks out there that have your own individual beliefs as to how a site needs to be organized to best pay homage to the google gods should now be able to pray in your own individual way.

This feature alone is worth a CMSMS 1.9 release, but of course we haven't stopped there.

2) There is a new wysiwyg toggle, and a description field associated with Global Content Blocks.
This means that you will be able to permanently disable the wysiwyg for those GCB's that may contain javascript etc.

3) Improved listcontent screen.
There's a new 'url' column, and page alias column in the listcontent screen.  And a few other nicities like titles for the column headers, etc.  Additionally you can control wether the page title or menu text is displayed on the 'page' column.  A new tab in the global settings allows control of these features for all users.

4) Add the ability to 'run' a UDT from within the admin interface.
Sometimes UDT's (User Defined Tags) are used to do certain one time only things like add stuff to the database etc.  Before this people had to create a dummy page, insert the {my_udt_name} tag into the page, and then view the page either in the previewer, or in a different tab.  This gets rid of that
minor, but annoying workaround.

5) For module developers, we've added a 'create_url' method to the module api.
This is simply a method to create a module action URL without having to pass a whole bunch of cryptic and unrelated parameters to the CreateLink method.  The CreateLink method has actually
been modified to call this method.   This is the way we should've done it from the start.

6) For module developers, we've added a 'create_pretty_url' callback.  
If a pretty url is not passed in to the create_url method (see above).  The system will call create_pretty_url with the module action, id, and parameters, to allow the module to try to interpret
the parameters and create one.  This is very useful for creating SEO sensitive pretty urls for module
actions (like record detail views), etc.

7) Again, for module developers, we removed the IsValidRoute method (this was introduced in CMSMS 1.8 ) and have replaced it with a better route handling mechanism.

8.) The timezone problem has been answered in this version.  A new config entry has been added that can store the server timezone.  And the installer now gives the opportunity to select the timezone from a list.

Note:  The timezone variable is used for all time calculations in the application, and those values may be stored in the database.   The timezone value should be set to the servers timezone under the assumption that date calculations may be performed directly in the database.... more technical information on this to follow.

9) The sitedown settings stuff has been improved.  Now there is a checkbox to allow excluding logged in site administrators from seeing the sitedown message.

10) A new preference has been added to require users who are adding or editing content pages to supply a URL.  Of course this url is checked to be unique across the system.  Additionally, another preference can allow urls to be automatically created from the page alias hierarchy.

11) The behavior of the image and fields have been improved to always be relative to the image uploads path.  We've also tried to preserve backwards compatibility here, so hopefully no sites will break while we attempt to fix the behavior of these fields.

12) The behavior of the {content_image} tag has been altered to address common complaints.  Again we've made every effort to retain backwards compatibility.  However, it will now output absolute URLS in all cases.

13) We revisited the content loading stuff once again and have seriously re-worked things so that no data is ever loaded twice, and to have a firm control over what data is cached.  This has been considerable effort but should result in noticeable performance improvements.

14) The {sitemap} plugin has been removed from the distribution.  It should still continue to work on sites that are still using it, but it has been deprecated for a long time, and it was time to clean up some cruft.

15) Removed the $gCms variable from smarty.
This has been a contentious issue, but it was decided that for security reasons this variable should not be exported to smarty.  This may break some sites that are using some of the internal CMSMS variables to do some things directly in smarty.

16) Remove scriptaculous, and replace it with jquery  HOORAY!!!
For a long time scriptaculous has been a thorn in our side, we finally bit the bullet and we're removing it.

17) Complete re-do of the drag and drop re-ordering.
It now supports complete re-ordering.   I think I can year the 'Thank You's'  from here.

Installer
1) The installer has been improved to fix some of the issues caused when doing a re-install
   over an existing site when module directories already existed.

2) We now ask the user to select a timezone on install.

3) We now attempt to silently create the config.php if it does not exist when you're trying to do an
   install.   Note, 99% of the people doing installs SHOULD still see an error.  That is if they're
   installing on a properly configured shared host.

4) Modified all calls to the MenuManager to do a loadprops=0 call to save a few queries on
   install.

MenuManager
1) The image and thumbnail fields now output absolute urls rather than relative ones.

2) Adds caching to menu manager output.
This is potentially a big performance increase.  Where possible, the menu manager will now attempt to cache its output.  And if cached output exists it will display that rather than generating the menu from scratch each time.

The cache is only generated if the content page is cachable, and if the menu template is set as cachable, and if the nocache parameter has not been supplied to menumanager.

News:
1) As a demonstration as to how module developers can implement custom urls for each article or record we've enhanced the news module to allow specifying a custom URL for each article.

-----------------------------------
We're not done yet, we still have some work cleaning things up, some things aren't as pretty as they should be.  As well, I am thinking of one or two more low risk but high impact features to throw in.  

Your next questions are undoubtedly gonna be "Where can I download it", and "When can I get it".  The answer is, 'The beta will start soon'.  We will be having another beta process for this release, the details of which will be announced soon.

I just wanted to give you a heads up on what was happening...
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Nullig
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Coming Soon - CMS Made Simple 1.9

Post by Nullig »

What can I say? WOW!

Nullig
dc2
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by dc2 »

Wow, that really is awesome!  :o

Looking forward for release :)
panthus

Post by panthus »

Wow! That sounds really interesting. Looking forward to the new version.  :)
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

Keep up the great work!
JohnnyB
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by JohnnyB »

Hooray!!  Love how CMSMS grows more powerful and flexible with every release. 
"The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings." -Okakura Kakuzo

--
LinkedIn profile
--
I only speak/write in English so I may not translate well on International posts.
--
baresi
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by baresi »

This is my biggest WOW in a long time. Number 1 alone deserves that WOW never mind the rest

Thanx everybody
nicmare
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nicmare »

calguy1000 wrote: All of you SEO geeks out there that have your own individual beliefs as to how a site needs to be organized to best pay homage to the google gods should now be able to pray in your own individual way.
rofl!

this and jquery are the biggest improvements imho :-)
uniqu3

Post by uniqu3 »

Thank you!

This is good news to start the day  :)

EDIT: as some modules include jQuery does this mean after release of 1.9 we will face some problems with modules like AdvancedContent and ScriptDeploy and other modules that already make use of jQuery in admin?
Last edited by uniqu3 on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
binarydesign

Post by binarydesign »

great to hear guys!

congrats already now for the long and impressive list.

Question for #1:
will I be able to create personalised URLs with this feature?

I've been asked a few times from marketing people if they could send out printed material with a url like:

www.sitename.com/promotion/nameOfPotentialClient

The 'nameOfPotentialClient' would then be a variable taking a record from a database with a specialized offer for THAT specific potential client, apart from a personal greeting which would also be very useful to make a personal impression of the promotion.

cheers
Sandro Barbieri
bess
Language Partners
Language Partners

Post by bess »

Great job everybody ;)
forbairt
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by forbairt »

Thanks for all the hard work guys :)

This release I think is addressing a few of my big issues (namely the SEO issue not being able to have duplicate page aliases and the disable WYSIWYG permanently

James
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

@James,

the second one is a remark that I cant address. Atm it is already possible to disallow wysiwyg for pages, and totally disallow on GCB. So could you explain a bit more, about the issue you address there.

Ronny
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by jmcgin51 »

awesome, really awesome stuff.  keep it up!!
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

EDIT: as some modules include jQuery does this mean after release of 1.9 we will face some problems with modules like AdvancedContent and ScriptDeploy and other modules that already make use of jQuery in admin?
Yes, this is possible... the developers of such modules should be applying to be a beta tester so that they have advanced access to the beta and can make whatever changes necessary to their modules.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.

Return to “Announcements”