Judes Cupcakes eCommerce Site

Post links to sites running CMS in all its glory.
clj83
Forum Members
Forum Members

Judes Cupcakes eCommerce Site

Post by clj83 »

New website using Calguy's eCommerce modules.

http://www.judescupcakes.com/

The site is running on CMSMS 1.7.1. The main modules being used are Products 2.8.2, Cart 1.6.2 and Orders 1.8.6

I know the html is not valid but for some reason Products won't allow me to use & in my templates, it just strips the amp; bit off so I cant write valid URL's, hopefully this will be resolved in a future update of Products.
orangefrog
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Judes Cupcakes eCommerce Site

Post by orangefrog »

Nice. Clean and pleasing to the eye. Has to be one of the best e-commerce systems with CMS MS. Great work!
clj83
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by clj83 »

Hey OrangeFrog,

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate the nice comments!

Chris
ridelikeaturtle
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by ridelikeaturtle »

I really like the layout and look of the site.  Nice work there.

Is it running a little slow?  (Or is that just me/my broadband connection?)  EDIT: I think it's me... nevermind!

Can you give any tips on how you got it ranked so well up on Google?  Again, well done, it looks really good.
Last edited by ridelikeaturtle on Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clj83
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by clj83 »

Hi ridelikeaturtle,

Thanks for your feedback. It wasn't actually you, the server was running a little slow earlier but seems to be back to speed now.

Regarding search engine optimisation there are quite a few things you can do during the design process to enhance your sites SEO. I will list a few below but if you want more detailed information just let me know.

1. Title Tag - It’s important to include a keyword or two in the title tag.
2. Meta Tags - Most notably the description tag and keywords tag, although keywords is becoming less important due to keyword stuffing.
3. Proper Use Of Heading Tags - Use of heading tags helps users, web browsers and search engines alike know where the major key points of your copy are.
4. Alt Attributes On All Images - Enhances both SEO and accessibility of your site.
5. Relevant Content - You can put all the keywords you want in the meta tags and alt image tags, etc — but if the actual readable text on the page is not relevant to the target keywords, it ends up basically being a futile attempt.

Hope that helps a little.

Chris
nicmare
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nicmare »

wow, very very nice and beatiful website.
how is your experience with cmsms and ecommerce? is this now someshow "stable" or are there a lot of modifications neccessary?
and how did you manage "you may also like" ? is this a feature of products?
Deak

Post by Deak »

Bloody brilliant.

I love the design and I am very impressed with the ecommerce implementation. I've wanted to do an ecommerce site with CMSMS myself, but have been a little put off by the apparent complexity. Like nicmare, I'm curious how you found the modules to work with. Was it a lot of work?
applejack
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by applejack »

The is an error with the registration form. If you do not enter everything then it jumps back to the login screen so you have to click the Not a Member tab again.

Safari 5 Mac.

Website Design & Production
http://www.applejack.co.uk
clj83
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by clj83 »

Hi,

Again thanks for the feedback, all comments appreciated. In answer to Nicmare and Deak I enjoy using the eCommerce suite of modules and I would definitely recommend them. Because they have a large amount of flexibility built in they can appear a little complex at first to work with however, my advice would be to setup a development area and play around so you get to know them. Also, read the smarty documentation as this will really help when it comes to creating your own templates.

The "You May Also Like" isn't a built in feature of Products but with a little smarty knowledge it is easy to setup. It is just a summary template called at the bottom of a detail template with a few smarty "if" checks to show the correct related products.

Also, thanks for pointing that out Applejack. I will correct it when I have some time.

Chris
athena_pallas
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by athena_pallas »

Very beautiful work.
Je suis très impressionnée par le travail réalisé : c'est beau, fonctionnel, ergonomique...
Please, could you tell us how you proceded to show the thumbnail of the product  in the cart ?  It would be very appreciated.

Thanks.
kendo451

Post by kendo451 »

Hey Chris,

Check your styles on the registration page, the labels are not adjacent to the inputs.

BTW, would you mind giving more detail of how you did the correlated products?  Did you just use products in the same category as "related"?
clj83
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by clj83 »

Hi,
Thanks for the continued nice comments and hints on how to improve things.

In response to athena_pallas all you need to do is create a custom detail template in the 'Products' module with the information you want to show in the cart which is not available through the cart array itself, in this case just a photo. Then within your 'Cart' template you add a call for the detail template you just created using $oneitem->product_id for your productid call, like this;

{Products action='details' productid=$oneitem->product_id detailtemplate='Your_Basket_Image'}

That's it really. You can use the same technique to get any information from your product which is not available in the cart array.

In response to kendo451 I don't actually use the built in categories in the products module but use my own category fields that I create as field definitions. So for example when my client puts in a new product they select type of cake, i.e. Cupcake, flavour of cake, i.e. Lemon, etc... I use this for sorting and filtering the products but also for my related products. So within my detail template I temporarily capture the values from my category fields, I then have a summary template within my product detail template which uses the captured values to find matches against any other products in the database which are similar. It keeps matching until it finds three products and if there are no similar products the similar product title is not shown.

Hope that helps.
JornB
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by JornB »

Really like the look and the use of CMSMS!

All hands to you!  ;)
pukka
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by pukka »

Very cool site. Nice work, love the layout.
Peace & Love

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Useful stuff: {$entry->fields|@print_r}

web design london
joecannes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by joecannes »

Very nice site!

Question, did you make a custom search feature on the Products page? How is that working?

JC

Return to “CMS Show Off”