Separation of CMSMS MLE Fork from cmsmadesimple.org

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Separation of CMSMS MLE Fork from cmsmadesimple.org

Post by calguy1000 »

To All:

Due to a number of factors, the CMSMS development team has decided to discontinue any direct association to the CMSMS-MLE fork on the cmsmadesimple.org website, This will mean that the forum for questions relating to the MLE fork will be closed or disabled by the end of January, 2010, and that no further issues related to the MLE fork would be entertained on cmsmadesimple.org

The primary reasons for this decision are:

* The MLE fork is, and always has been an unsupported FORK (modification) to the CMSMS project that provided some additional functionalities that are not available in the primary package.
   * There has never been any assumption of compatibility between the two projects, and if CMSMS modules or plugins have worked on the fork, that is a purely do to the fact that the MLE-fork is based on CMS Made Simple. There never has been an assumption or a guarantee that modules are in any way compatible with the MLE fork.
   * The very fact that the MLE fork is hosted on the cmsmadesimple.org domain serves to some users as an indication of a tight relationship between these products, when in fact none exists.
   * CMS Made Simple will eventually tackle the Multi-lang issue, but in a completely different way, making compatibility probably out of the question unless somebody writes a conversion script (this won't be on the list of tasks for the CMSMS development team).  Either way, the MLE fork will probably continue to have a life of its own well after CMSMS supports multiple language websites.
   * There are continued posts on the forums in the wrong locations about problems with the MLE fork, that the forum administrators are regularly forced to move to the proper place, making an extra maintenance chore for our forum administrators.
   * There are continued bug reports, and feature requests for the various modules about functionality that is broken or would be nice with particular modules, W.R.T. the MLE fork.
   * Module developers continue to get emails about posts on the forum related to the MLE fork or bugs or features submitted to the forge, forcing them to reply that the module is not tested with, or assumed to be compatible with the MLE fork, which leads to more angst by the user base.
   * The lack of support for the MLE version by module developers, and the lack of help for MLE questions on the main part of the forum, and the implied tight linking to CMS Made Simple unfairly negatively impacts the CMS Made Simple project.

We have discussed this decision with the primary developer of the MLE-fork and have his complete agreement. We have encouraged him to create another website where this project can be hosted, and develop independently of CMS Made Simple. We will endeavor to provide whatever assistance possible to assist in this migration process, and will provide appropriate linking to this new website once it is available, however we will be emphasizing that it is a loosely related, and unofficial, unsupported modification to CMSMS, and in no way can any compatibility be assured, or compatibility issues supported.

Thank you for your time, and continued usage of CMS Made Simple.

The CMSMS Development Team.
Last edited by calguy1000 on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Separation of CMSMS MLE Fork from cmsmadesimple.org

Post by jmcgin51 »

well said, Calguy.
cyberman

Post by cyberman »

Any news for a new MLE separation domain?
joecannes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by joecannes »

Wow, that is too bad.

I understand why, but will an mle version be addressed in CMS 2.x?

Being in eastern Canada, where I am forced to develop sites in 2 languages (english and french )It is the main reason I choose to CMSMS. I have even built CMSMS sites with the Government of Canada, it would a shame if I could not offer them this option in future versions of CMSMS.

Thanks,

Joe Cannes
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

Please read through the thread that discusses version 2.0 it is discussed in there.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

Calguy...
couldn't this topic be made sticky for a while?
Again and again people don't know what happened and why they can't download MLE any more. (Not everybody reads old topics, not everybody has been a member here last year).
Might be a help to have something in the announcements at least.

Thanks
Cherry
Milhaus

Post by Milhaus »

cyberman wrote: Any news for a new MLE separation domain?
That's my question as well, because I just finished website using MLE and would like to have some support for it in the future (read: I would like to be able to upgrade to 1.9).
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

I still have not been contacted by the author of the fork... therefore no news at this time.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
map_1961
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by map_1961 »

Dear Dev Team.

Of course i respect your decision. Buit this is pure policy. From the user point of view you cut of the bypass to the future. What should mle user do with their sites? Look for another gpl mle cms?
Support in the forum was more than sufficient. Solutions for module relatet ajustments could always be found.
I am very sad about this development and hope that you rethink this or offer a usable solition soon.
Thank you

map_1961
map_1961
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

You are in error.

You are assuming that this 'package' was endorsed by and supported by us.  it never has been.  And it has lead to a great deal of confusion.  Perhaps you just haven't seen it.  I see the bug reports all the time.  The problems may seem small to you now, but they are only going to get bigger.

The best bet for the future to minimize the confusion that other users have faced, and the problems we have encountered would be for the author of this module to rename it, replace all of the logos etc, that come with the system, setup his own support forum, and to re-release it under the new name.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
Cherry

Post by Cherry »

[quote
I am very sad about this development and hope that you rethink this or offer a usable solition soon.
Thank you

[/quote]

Yes, I'm sad, too. And I wonder if there was really no way to implement alby's ideas of making a mulitlanguage cms. After all it's the most comfortable around. All the other suggestions are possible but not really handy. Now that obviously no contact with alby is possible it's too late. But there were times when a contact was possible.
bess
Language Partners
Language Partners

Post by bess »

>:(

I also regret the announcement of separation of Cms Made Simple and this fork nammed MLE, but it makes no sense to ask to the team of CMS Made Simple to assume the support of software they didn't realize.

So for all users of MLE, you are in trouble: yes,it's true and it is very harmful but you used a fork !! ... Nobody forced you, and nobody had announced support for MLE by the dev team. MLE has never even been proposed on the "download" button on the homepage of cmsmadesimple.org!

The choice for choosing MLE when you started to install your website has finally not been a good strategic choice, but rather than cry against the developers of CMS Made Simple, you'd rather consult Alby, support him and help him to raise that MLE under another name!

And before you ask: No, I don't have website in MLE -I'm not crazy- and yes I already offered my help to Alby to help create his project.

signed: a simple user of Cms Made Simple
Last edited by bess on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

Hello Alby and MLE FF (fork'fans),

As many europeen CMSMS users I regret the separation of CMSMS and your MLE fork, and as most of them I understand why this happened.

I have several CMSMS-MLE sites with former versions than 1.8.2 installed and working great, Very great. As part of the releases where security releases I would like to upgrade them. Then my question is, is there a place where I could download the upgrades to MLE 1.8.2 ?

If not... is there anybody out there who could share these precious MLE release with me ?

Best regards
The universe of information technology is constantly growing and contains only emerging products built on successive patches
nervino
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nervino »

seensite wrote:
If not... is there anybody out there who could share these precious MLE release with me ?
Waiting for the new site of MLE, I put a full 1.8.2 MLE on zshare (http://www.zshare.net/download/81567000ffc71137/).

(I hope this will not be considered a disrespect of CMSMS Team's decision...I understand their point of view...)
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

@Nervino : Thank you very much!
The universe of information technology is constantly growing and contains only emerging products built on successive patches

Return to “Announcements”