A project to test-install, provide descriptions of, and list all modules

Discussion of the documentation project.
Peciura

Re: A project to test-install, provide descriptions of, and list all modules

Post by Peciura »

Sonya: I would appreciate your help.
I guess i will need a half of ModuleManager :) in one UDT. It should take one letter (e.g. "e") and return an array:

Code: Select all

Array{
   [0]=>{
      ['module_name']=>'EditArea'
      ['date']=>'2009-04-19 20:32'
      ['version']=>'0.2.9'
      ['link']=>'link_to_modules_page'
      ['about']=>'complete description as in modulemanager'
   }
   [1]=>{
      ['module_name']=>'ELetters'
   }
}
Another one, that takes module name (e.g. 'EditArea') and returns array

Array{
   [0]=>{
      ['version']=>'0.2.9'
      ['date']=>'2009-04-19 20:32'
   }
   [1]=>{
      ['version']=>'0.2.8'
      ['date']=>'2009-04-11 17:16'
   }
}
But for now we will work to see, what exact position module repository is in.
We will gain some experience  and will be able to formulate clear request for help.
Thanx Sonya.
Peciura

Post by Peciura »

Ok so i created form at cms.lvjc.lt/index.php?page=module-form

module name*
version*
date*
CMSms*
OS* (Win, )
OS version*
webserver
webserver version*
Link in forge*
Author name
English language*
Installation*
Known issues
Comments
I think i should add host name that submitted the form, and option pretty/ugly url, vote. I aim to convert as many field to pulldown fields as possible.
Now i don't know how to group OS versions, should i create pulldown field generated  from responses to text field ?

EDIT: first step is to collect responses another to build customized formbrowser and multiple table reports.
Last edited by Peciura on Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sonya

Post by Sonya »

Peciura wrote: Sonya: I would appreciate your help.
I guess i will need a half of ModuleManager :) in one UDT. It should take one letter (e.g. "e") and return an array:
No, just a little UDT :)

Attenition! It works only if you set the column admin_only in the table cms_modules for the module nuSOAP to 0.

Then create a new UDT soap_grab with this content:

global $gCms, $CMS_VERSION;
$nusoap =& CMSModule::GetModuleInstance('nuSOAP');
$nusoap->Load();
$url = 'http://modules.cmsmadesimple.org/soap.php?module=ModuleRepository';
$nu_soapclient =& new nu_soapclient($url,false,false,false,false,false,90,90);
if (!isset($params['letter'])) {
$qparms['prefix'] = 'A';
} else {
$qparms['prefix'] = $params['letter'];
}
$qparms['newest'] = 1;
$qparms['clientcmsversion'] = $CMS_VERSION;
$allmoduledetails = $nu_soapclient->call('ModuleRepository.soap_moduledetailsgetall',$qparms);

print '<pre>';
print_r($allmoduledetails);
print '</pre>';
Use the UDT in the content page and it prints out all modules starting with letter "A" from the repository this way:

[0] => Array
        (
            [name] => ABFlashGallery
            [filename] => ABFlashGallery-0.2.xml
            [md5sum] => f2871d3cc07f15f133d85456fabf3dad
            [version] => 0.2
            [mincmsversion] => 1.0
            [description] => Creer des galleries flash sympa a inserer dans votre site.
            [date] => 2009-06-22 13:43:59
            [size] => 121575
        )

[1] => Array
        (
            [name] => AjaxMadeSimple
            [filename] => AjaxMadeSimple-0.1.6.xml
            [md5sum] => 9a37bc2f70db9e20d7a48f8014e225e4
            [version] => 0.1.6
            [mincmsversion] => 1.1
            [description] => Et udvikler-orienteret modul der tillade nem adgang til Ajax-funktionality i andre moduler
            [date] => 2009-06-22 13:43:59
            [size] => 230294
        )
The UDT accepts the parameter letter for the first letter of the module, e. g. {soap_grab letter='S'} would print all the modules starting with the letter S.

Additionaly, there is following information that can be grabbed as well:
Module Help
Module Dependencies
Module About section

Add to the UDT the output as shown below:

foreach ($allmoduledetails as $key => $module) {
   echo '<h1>'.$module['name'].' - '.$module['version'].'</h1>';
   $depends = $nu_soapclient->call('ModuleRepository.soap_moduledepends',array('name' => $module['filename'] ));
   $help = $nu_soapclient->call('ModuleRepository.soap_modulehelp',array('name' => $module['filename'] ));
   $about = $nu_soapclient->call('ModuleRepository.soap_moduleabout',array('name' => $module['filename'] ));
    if (is_array($depends[1])) {
    foreach ($depends[1] as $key => $mod) {
      echo $mod['name'].' ('.$mod['version'].') ,';
   }
  } else {
      echo ' No dependencies';
}
   echo '<hr />';
   echo $help[1];
    echo '<hr />';
   echo $about[1];
}
Last edited by Sonya on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peciura

Post by Peciura »

Thank you Sonya. I believe i will use it :)
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

Suggestions for the form:

See the updated document on my site on what I put as far as notes and comments go
Date should be in day/month/year format and no hours and minutes
Date should say "Date checked on"
There was also discussion to list last update date to see if any projects were abandoned.
Don't know if OS and server info is that important. If it gives an error on some platform then chances are other platforms will be affected. If no error, chances are no other errors. But I will go along on this.
Installation: add warnings option. See my table for examples.

I am still working thru my table. When the form stabilizes I can copy over content. Give me some time to finish testing installation of modules.
aln_cms
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by aln_cms »

Hi all,
I'm in the midst of putting an extension to CMSMS together which will allow for people to assess each module they have installed on their system.  Currently, it's implemented as an extra column after the "Export As XML" feature in the Modules , once clicked it presents a window which currently  looks something like

Module Name
Rating / Grade                      * | ** | *** | **** | *****

!Ease of Customisation        1   2    3      4         5
!Works As Described            1   2    3      4         5
!Features                                1   2    3      4         5

As you then browse via the ModuleManager you will see the average community rating under each header.  Currently, I don't intend to include the ability to add comments. But there is talk of synopsing / displaying  this information on the Forge also, perhaps comments could be added through this interface.

The entries here marked with ! are still under debate on another thread, we are looking for categories by which to rate a module.  If you have any ideas could youi add them to the other http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.php/topic,38951.0.html

Thanks,
Alan
--
Alan Ryan
Lead Developer
CodeCrunchers Internet Software Development - Ireland
http://www.codecrunchers.ie
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

This project would prove useful... better than a community ratings mechanism.

However, you should also consider adding a 'date of last release' field in there, so that people viewing the page could get an idea as to wether the module is still maintained.  Some simple smarty logic could hilight the date in red if the last release is more than a year old... and in yellow if more than say 6 months old.

This sounds like a job for FormBrowser/FormBuilder.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

My initial work is done.

Attached you will find an html table, and a conversion to a spreadsheet (a little rough, but usable). The spreadsheet allows cool tricks like ordering info by type of problem. It also allowed me to extract a list of email addresses.

After I rest a little, I can convert it to form format if people wish.

I do not want to get anyone's blood boiling, so here are the objectives of the project, repeated:
1) Filter out abandoned projects
2) Filter out modules without description in the module manager
3) Filter out modules with serious issues like installation problems or errors

For the purposes of:
1) Having a clean list of modules with proper descriptions and an assumption that they will at least install
2) Prevent noobs for posting topics like "why can't I install this really cool module that I want installed?"
3) To hopefully have a colorful module showcase page somewhere on cmsmadesimple.org for new visitors and noobie users.
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

I could not attach either an .html or .xls document to my post, so they can be obtained on my website: http://mkrd.info/software-discussions/cms-made-simple/list-of-cmsms-modules.html

Calguy, this request has been brought up before in the post. It can easily be included. Also folks should be aware that there is a discussion going on at http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.php?topic=38951.new
Last edited by replytomk3 on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peciura

Post by Peciura »

This sounds like a job for FormBrowser/FormBuilder.
+ some UDTs and plugins.
Bearing in mind  possible number of voters, I think it would require lots of computing power, so i consider it as a sketch only.

Community ratings mechanism is another approach to the same problem. After both of them are finished - we will count chickens.
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

Update:

1) A separate list of modules with problems is available here http://mkrd.info/software-discussions/cms-made-simple/list-of-cmsms-modules.html. I have been emailing developers and will submit bugs to try to take care of those problems.

2) I have a wish that a showcase list like on http://mkrd.info/software-discussions/cms-made-simple/list-of-cmsms-modules.html will be posted under Downloads>Modules (instead of the current forge link) with probably cute formatting for each entry. It will do good for first time visitors looking for information on available modules.

3) Peciura, is the form finalized? Entries can be copied over from the table to the form if needed. I have finished test-installing the modules.
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

replytomk3 wrote: Update:

1) A separate list of modules with problems is available here http://mkrd.info/software-discussions/cms-made-simple/list-of-cmsms-modules.html. I have been emailing developers and will submit bugs to try to take care of those problems.

2) I have a wish that a showcase list like on http://mkrd.info/software-discussions/cms-made-simple/list-of-cmsms-modules.html will be posted under Downloads>Modules (instead of the current forge link) with probably cute formatting for each entry. It will do good for first time visitors looking for information on available modules.

3) Peciura, is the form finalized? Entries can be copied over from the table to the form if needed. I have finished test-installing the modules.
Another update:

I have submitted bug and feature reports for all problems that I have found. Additionally, the following problems have been found:

File Editor seems to be abandoned
ModuleMaker seems to be abandoned

Please remove Category Manager from Module Manager (discontinued)
DLSpaw: Please remove from Module Manager (discontinued as per author)
FeedbackForm:  Please remove from Module Manager (discontinued as per author)
Articles:  Please remove from Module Manager (discontinued as per author)

Relatives: author says his customers are German, so GUI will not be translated to English.

Import_Content: dead email specified
Vacations: dead email specified
dboptimizer: dead email specified
pisearch: dead email specified (piratos)
replytomk3

Post by replytomk3 »

Some people took the red warnings personally. Well, after a second round of testing on a live server, people have less to worry about. Some errors only appeared on XAMPP and not on a server. Other errors were solved by downloading the file from Forge instead of the Download Manager.

People need to understand that the purpose of this test is to see it thru the eyes of a noob installing the modules, and them complaining on the forum that it could not be installed. So nothing personal.

Right now, the two biggest problems is obsolete/discontinued modules still in the Module Manager, and lack of descriptions in the Module Manager.

All other problems and notes can be found in the table. It is constantly updated on my website, so use a fresh copy every time.
Peciura

Post by Peciura »

I have not implemented ajaxt and module rating to form yet. I will PM you after i will finish it.

Return to “[locked] Documentation0ld”