CMSMS and ATAG

Discuss, ask and suggest about Usability and Accessability with CMS Made Simple
nils73
Power Poster
Power Poster

CMSMS and ATAG

Post by nils73 »

Today I stumbled upon the idea for a ruby-based CMS called RailFrog at railfrog.com. I was pretty surprised how they approach the idea of CMS: First create the idea, then have the tutorials ready and finally create the tool. Nifty. This seems to be a good idea to get a CMS working according to the Authoring Tools Accessibility Guidelines (ATAG) though it sounds a bit far off. However, I like the idea of context driven tutorials and wanted to share this idea with you.

Regards,
Nils
jelle

Re: CMSMS and ATAG

Post by jelle »

ha instead of the XP paradigm 'test first' this has 'document first'. Both documenting an testing are always neglegted, so it is nice to see a method that puts it first.

Any XP person will immediately tell you Yagni! (You Ain't Gonna Need It)Your design will change while it is written or while the code is written. Keeping the design up to date is then just reversing the information flow and slowing down coding. But on the other hand, it is a good way to get your use cases before you write the code. 

But in the end, I believe it has some merit that most projects value code over test or docs. They cannot all be very wrong, after all.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

railfrog has one advantage over us.  RoR, as great as it is (and it is...), has the advantage of being the "thing" right now, so everyone will jump on board.

I agree that it would be wonderful to have a paradigm shift of development (and hopefully close some of the issues we have), but we'd need to have a dev team that's twice the size as we have.

I'm open to any suggestions that you might have...
nils73
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by nils73 »

I suggest you'd send me some money ...  ;D  ... okay, just kidding. I think we are all on the right track. Things keep getting better and soon we will see RoR-projects spreading all over but it's only a trend. And the trend isn't always a good friend. Though I must admit we are about to start a RoR driven project which is a personalized solution and RoR is our weapon of choice because it allows quick development.

Keep up the good work - everything is fine!
Nils

Return to “[locked] Accessability and Usability”