CMS Made Simple 2.0 (not 1.7) is in development

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
chuccaville
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: CMS Made Simple 1.7 is in development

Post by chuccaville »

@techaven, @JeremyBASS, @Simon66 and others that can't let go:
Techaven wrote: I'm really furious at your reasons not to include a style drop down in the new editor and other stuff....
Stop whining & stop this fruitless discussion. Let guys like CalGuy and other core developers to their job: code it, test it, document it! For the rest of us, our time is best spent in editing kick-ass wiki pages to explain how to work with TinyMCE.

Its a 'yesterday' discussion anyway - this goofy distinction between designers, editors, users, dummies etc. The targeted audience for CMSMS is not the Fortune 500 crowd that uses Drupal etc.. I bet my dog away that 9 out of 10 CMSMS sites are run by small businesses or departments. What that 'receptionist' really needs is a much better help page or video.

I just recently started with CMSMS, and I 'm  also NOT a developer - I am a marketing guy (boo!) and tech geek with reasonably good knowledge of CSS, HTML etc. I have worked before with or tried out WordPress, Drupal, Website Baker, Joomla and even a custom-taylored CMS. For a small business, CMSMS is the best choice. Period.

I see things from the perspective of a ordinary, mortal user. To me, CMSMS is a still a test tube baby - but with great promises to become big and strong. I am looking forward to 1.7, its (mostly) exciting stuff. But if it is not well documented and promoted, it is not worth anything.

Ah and yes, @calguy: even if its castrated, make WYSIWYG 'reality' in Microtiny - show the fonts that are really defined in the
currently selected stylesheet. You'll be amazed how many thank you notes will come your way, guaranteed.

Cheers.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

The devs of CMSMS need to look at their competition a bit, such as Wordpress and Joomla. You could also benefit from taking advice of the people using your product.
You're assuming we're trying to compete, and squeeze some market share out of those other products.  We're not.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
benchfrooser
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by benchfrooser »

Could not find the topic on the forum. What happened?
Is there a release date for this version?
Last edited by benchfrooser on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moorezilla

Post by moorezilla »

Watch out, Bench! An "it'll be released when it's done" response is heading your way!
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

benchfrooser wrote: Could not find the topic on the forum. What happened?
Is there a release date for this version?
No a date hasn't been set for release, I don't even think there is an ETA on a beta yet. It won't be for awhile with all of the items on the slate to be completed. You can be sure there will either be a post here or a new thread announcing the date.

moorezilla wrote: Watch out, Bench! An "it'll be released when it's done" response is heading your way!
That was completely uncalled for. It's tough to set dates with everyone's busy lives and limited helpful programming input from the masses. A date could be provided... then you could complain when we haven't made the date. We can give you a date and release something, but when not all of the features are included that are on slate and it has more bugs than Windows ME you can complain about it too. When you have people donating their time and aren't on the payroll it's hard to set dates and insist they be kept. I'd be willing to be people are willing to wait for a decent product versus having rushed and half baked product by such and such date.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
moorezilla

Post by moorezilla »

Tyman, you are WAY too sensitive. That was meant to encourage the user to wait patiently, not to jab the developers for not producing a date on command.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

show the fonts that are really defined in the currently selected stylesheet. You'll be amazed how many thank you notes will come your way, guaranteed.
This won't be in there.  There will be a styles dropdown but you will need to populate it manually.  I was outvoted.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Update on 1.7 (now 2.0) Progress:

a) The class lazy loading stuff is in
    - Not only does this mean we won't have to have a whole bunch of require_once stuff in there, but it means that classes are now truly lazy
      loaded on demand, and should generally help to decrease the memory requirements of CMSMS for most requests.

b) The content editing stuff has been re-written again
    - it appears functionally equivalent to the 1.6 stream but:
      * there are more tabs in the admin panel.
      * the content_image functionality has been improved
      * the page_image functionality has been improved.
      * modules can now add controls within the edit content page
      * modules can now add tabs within the edit content page
      * the code is split into more modules, which means even a smaller memory footprint on the frontend.

b) listcontent has been rewritten
    * it's not done yet, but there's a funky graphical drag/drop tree structure now.

c) jquery is built in
    * you heard it... it's there, and a whole bunch of addons are built in to the install too.

d) scriptaculous and prototype are gone.... YAHOOO
    * nuf said.

e) Modules can add 'bulk content operations'
    * CGContentUtils will add an 'Advanced Copy' bulk content action to allow you to copy a whole bunch of pages at one time.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
geeves
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by geeves »

Sweet!

I'm liking the sound of this:

* modules can now add controls within the edit content page
* modules can now add tabs within the edit content page
... oh and jQuery... W00T

Does "Update on 1.7 (now 2.0) Progress:" mean you're skipping 1.7 development altogether?
Ara Garabedian
Multimedia Designer / Developer
http://ara.ifky.com.au
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

oh yeah.... the content modifications means that with 2.0.... FEU will be modified

wait for it

There'll be a new 'Visitors' tab (or something I haven't finalized that yet)... that'll have a few controls on it.
a) a list of FEU groups that list groups allowed to see that page.
b) a pulldown with a page to redirect to if the condition isn't met.

That should make things much easier for people.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
geeves
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by geeves »

Sounds good.

Thanks for clarifying.
Ara Garabedian
Multimedia Designer / Developer
http://ara.ifky.com.au
Duketown

Post by Duketown »

Calguy you mentioned the following:
     * CGContentUtils will add an 'Advanced Copy' bulk content action to allow you to copy a whole bunch of pages at one time.
Does this mean that CGExtensions becomes a required during, or just after, installation?

Duketown
bess
Language Partners
Language Partners

Post by bess »

great work !  ;D

2.0 ? does it mean that multi-language will arrive ?  :o

Jquery : loooove...  ::)
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Duketown wrote: Calguy you mentioned the following:
Does this mean that CGExtensions becomes a required during, or just after, installation?

Duketown
@Duketown: No, CGContentUtils will still be an addon module, it will not be part of the core.  Our philosophy is that the core should be powerful enough that we can allow modules to do advanced features like this.  This makes it so that we don't have to include all of that functionality in the core.

@bess: Nope, no multi-language the roadmap has changed significantly.

@geeves:  Nope, it means that what we were going to call 1.7 is now being called 2.0, partly because we're dramatically changing the under-belly of the core.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
kendo451

Post by kendo451 »

All that fuss over MicroTiny reminds me of Joel Spolskey's perspective on the difference between Microsoft Culture and Linux Culture.

Microsoft Culture, he says, "writes software for the end user", and usually ends up slick on the front, but buggy and bloated on the back. 

Linux Culture writes software for other programmers, which tends to be more useful and modular for other coders to reuse, but doesn't have the "slick factor" on the final product.

I think it is the job of we integrators and designers to take the CMSMS engine and add the "slick" front-end for our clients. 

TinyMCE is totally configurable.  If you don't like what comes with the package, quit crying and roll your own. 

Kudos to the dev team who continue to work on this awesome project.  I have no idea how you are supported, but I wish I could contribute more to the effort.

Ken

Return to “Announcements”