CMS Made Simple 2.0 (not 1.7) is in development

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: CMS Made Simple 1.7 is in development

Post by calguy1000 »

Another heads up:

1) We'll be removing alot of the callbacks that are currently in the module api.  These callbacks have been deprecated for a long time now, so we should be safe to remove them.  I'm talking about callbacks like
    LoginPre
    LoginPost
    EditUserPre
    EditUserPost,
    etc.

2) We plan on completely removing xajax, scriptaculous, and prototype from the CMSMS distribution, and relying scrictly in jquery.

3) We are working on a listcontent rewrite that'll have alot of ajaxy/javascripty/drag-drop functions, and should dramatically improve content management (hopefully).

4) We're permanently removing some of the old plugins from the core.... like ImageGallery, bulletmenu, oldprint...
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
SimonSchaufi

Post by SimonSchaufi »

calguy1000 wrote: No, the javascript calls will not AUTOMATICALLY be included in every frontend page.
i mean backend, not frontend!
calguy1000 wrote: 1) We'll be removing alot of the callbacks that are currently in the module api.  These callbacks have been deprecated for a long time now, so we should be safe to remove them.  I'm talking about callbacks like
   LoginPre
   LoginPost
   EditUserPre
   EditUserPost,
   etc.
i am using some of these! ;) any workaround?
Last edited by SimonSchaufi on Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

SimonSchaufi wrote:
calguy1000 wrote: 1) We'll be removing alot of the callbacks that are currently in the module api.  These callbacks have been deprecated for a long time now, so we should be safe to remove them.  I'm talking about callbacks like
   LoginPre
   LoginPost
   EditUserPre
   EditUserPost,
   etc.
i am using some of these! ;) any workaround?
hmmm yes, what is the replacement or workaround I think I have two sites that use this events... would be good to know.  Very excited to see that jQuery is coming in and out with the other stuff...  I'm a jQuery fool and just love to play with it... :D Can't wait to see the next gen.. Cheers

Jeremy
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

There are events for all of these callbacks... have been for years.
all you have to do is register event handlers on install, and fill in the event.Module.Eventname.php
and unregister the handler on uninstall
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

another heads up:

If I didn't mention it earlier.... we're gonna remove TinyMCE from the core install (it'll be available as an addon) and replace it with a stripped down version.

Also, we're replacing the printing module with a stripped down version (no buggy/limited/huge pdf printing).  the regular printing module will be available as an addon.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

calguy1000 wrote: There are events for all of these callbacks... have been for years.
all you have to do is register event handlers on install, and fill in the event.Module.Eventname.php
and unregister the handler on uninstall
I see I thought that the event was going away... :D all is good ... Thanks for the info...
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

1) We'll be removing alot of the callbacks that are currently in the module api.  These callbacks have been deprecated for a long time now, so we should be safe to remove them.  I'm talking about callbacks like
    LoginPre
    LoginPost
    EditUserPre
    EditUserPost,
    etc.
You wouldn't believe the amount of code I got to delete when I did this...  ~500 lines from the module class alone.  I also noticed that some of the callbacks weren't being called anyways, even if they weren't marked as deprecated, but the events were.  So we've managed to clean up those bugs, AND events should be faster anyways (it doesn't loop through all of the installed modules, event handlers are registered and stored in the database).

I had to change the CustomContent module, but that was simple... I'll release a new version of this soon, and it'll still be compatible with 1.6.x
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
geeves
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by geeves »

Would really like to start seeing a CMSMS version update facility within the admin backend.

Its really getting tiresome to have to upload a full or partial package and go through the process of upgrading the CMS manually.

If not for CMSMS 1.7, then hopefully added to considerations for v2.

I'd also love to see a facility to create the site database in the installation process itself, rather than having to create the database first, then go through the installation process.
Ara Garabedian
Multimedia Designer / Developer
http://ara.ifky.com.au
Sonya

Post by Sonya »

calguy1000 wrote:   - We'll be replacing the huge, and bloated TinyMCE module with a Tiny-Lite for basic wysiwyg functionality only.  The full TinyMCE will be available as a third party addon module.
calguy1000 wrote: If I didn't mention it earlier.... we're gonna remove TinyMCE from the core install (it'll be available as an addon) and replace it with a stripped down version.
Can I see the "stripped" version of "Tiny-Lite" somewhere? Is is "just" a light of version of TinyMCE or other WYSIWYG editor or custom developement for CMS Made Simple? What features / plugins will be included in this version? Are there any rough thoughts? Thank you.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

it'll be the 'microtiny' module, which doesn't have any released files yet.... and as far as features, there'll be very few...
like 5 buttons.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

Here's the toolbar and features that we've settled on for microtiny...
Attachments
microtiny3.jpg
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
Sonya

Post by Sonya »

calguy1000 wrote: Here's the toolbar and features that we've settled on for microtiny...
Thank you! It's cute :) and light-weighted indeed.
Dr.CSS

Post by Dr.CSS »

I just wish it had the style drop down...
geeves
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by geeves »

+1 vote for style drop down. Style dropdown is much MUCH more important than alignment tools which just add inline styles to elements to align them. CSS classes should be used for things like alignment of text and images:

Inline styles are never okay. The goal with (x)html / css development is to separate content from presentation. Well, let's start trying to make that separation a goal for v1.7.
Ara Garabedian
Multimedia Designer / Developer
http://ara.ifky.com.au
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

+1 here :D

Return to “Announcements”