CMS Made Simple 2.0 (not 1.7) is in development

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

CMS Made Simple 2.0 (not 1.7) is in development

Post by calguy1000 »

Edit: We used to call this 1.7... but now, due to the amount of stuff we've changed, we decided to call it 2.0... you may wanna read the new roadmap.
--
Just to keep you guys all up to date on what is happening, I thought I'd drop in a quick note on what we're up to for further development.

CMS Made Simple 1.7 is currently in development.  It will be a significant change from the 1.6 series, will solve alot of older problems, will provide alot more functionality, and will move forward with technology.  Below is a brief list of the major items that will be visible.

We are hoping for CMS Made Simple 1.7 to be out sometime this coming winter.

Technology
 - We will be using the full adodb, not adodb_lite, which has not been actively developed in a while, and kinda limits us on some of the things we can do.
 - We will be adding support for sqlite (hopefully).  Infact I'm already using an sqlite database for my development install
 - We will be requiring PHP 5.2+, and forever breaking PHP4 support.

Features:
 - We will be adding support so that modules can be used to provide blocks in the content page... i.e:  A News category dropdown could be added to your template to allow specifying a news category, that you could then use in your template to display the appropriate category of News... there's lots of potential for functionality here.
 - We'll be working around the stupid IE issue with respect to image buttons on forms.
 - We'll be re-working the menu manager to allow for recursive menu templates, which will give you alot more power o
 - The menu manager will be moved along even further to completely get rid of the file based menu templates.
 - Modules will be able to add bulk content actions (i.e: copy multiple pages).
 - A new tinyurl like mechanism will be added which provides a happy medium between pretty URLS, and the ugly, but feature rich URL mechanism.  (we're still thinking about this).

Fixes/Improvements
 - Thumbnail behaviour will be moved from the image manager into global settings, so that it is more easily configurable.
 - We'll be replacing the huge, and bloated TinyMCE module with a Tiny-Lite for basic wysiwyg functionality only.  The full TinyMCE will be available as a third party addon module.

There's also alot of programming related stuff that will be added into 1.7, we'll tell you more about later... I just wanted to get your mouth drooling.
Last edited by calguy1000 on Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
atutu

Re: CMS Made Simple 1.7 is in development

Post by atutu »

Will cmsms support multi Web sites with one install ? Modx Revolution support multi-sites.
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Think we can get feature request 3531
http://dev.cmsmadesimple.org/feature_request/view/3531
in... it'll be really handly for the autobacks up that people want...

Keep up the great work all... Cheers
Jeremy
reneh
Dev Team Member
Dev Team Member

Post by reneh »

multi Web sites with one install
will probably not be in....
ReneH 8-)
A search will save you hours waiting for an answer! Image
nhaack

Post by nhaack »

That is really great news. Sounds like CMSMS is not loosing momentum in flexibility gain :D

Big thumbs up to the dev team!

Best
Nils
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

atutu wrote: Will cmsms support multi Web sites with one install ? Modx Revolution support multi-sites.
Nope... We've discussed this at length in the past, and have decided that this is 'out of scope' for CMSMS.  Partly because everybody's idea of 'multi-site' is different... just read the hundreds of questions about this already on the forum.  And besides, any way we did it could cause difficulty for 90% of the users, and only please 10% of the users... so therefore, it's not really worth doing IMHO.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

Since 1.7 is going to be PHP 5.2+, I've decided to pull some of my 2.0 code into the codebase.  This means, for instance, that:

Code: Select all

global $gCms;
Can be used in the much more clean (globals are icky):

$gCms = cmsms();
Getting a database object will go from:

global $gCms;
$db =& $gCms->GetDb();
to:

$db = cms_db();
I've made a few other additions for commonly used objects like this as well.

In addition, I've pulled over my autoload functionality.  Slowly I'll be making it so classes can be loaded on first use, saving memory instead of the traditional "load everything and only use what we need."  I've moved a few classes to using it already and will move more as I go.

And, what most people care about...  I've added the recursive menu manager templating functionality.  Now a menu manager template can be as easy as the following to get a full listing of all your pages:

{if $count > 0}
    <ul>
        {foreach from=$nodelist item=node}
            {if $node->show}
                <li>
                    <a href="{$node->GetUrl()}">{$node->MenuText()}</a>
                    {menu_children node=$node}
                </li>
            {/if}
        {/foreach}
    </ul>
{/if}
Don't panic, I'm leaving the old code in as well.  We're not going to break backwards compatibility that badly on a point release.  :)

I have to say, as a developer, I'm feeling very good about the changes that are upcoming.  It's starting to take some of the ideas I've had for almost 3 years and finally putting them into motion.  It's not going to be the full 2.0 experience I'm envisioning, but it's a start into a more modern codebase.
Pierre M.

Post by Pierre M. »

My two favorites :
calguy1000 wrote:  - We will be adding support for sqlite (hopefully).  Infact I'm already using an sqlite database for my development install

- A new tinyurl like mechanism will be added which provides a happy medium between pretty URLS, and the ugly, but feature rich URL mechanism.  (we're still thinking about this).
Yeah ! Lighty things keep it simple :-)

Happy coding

Pierre M.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by calguy1000 »

and one more thing....

We're removing the use_hierarchy option out of 1.7... the system will always use path hierarchies.
Follow me on twitter
--------------------
brownrl
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by brownrl »

Using the sqlite would be amazingly AWESOME!!!!

at work here we currently CMS MS for EVERYTHING!!!! 25+ sites all running CMS MS and large well known clients!

However, we would like to use the sqlite so that the db is a file within the individual proejcts and thus can be svn'd.

Ofcourse when we go to production from development and staging, we would then switch to MySql.

Keep up the great work! We here LOVE CMS MS and we use like I said for many many projects...

Most underrated CMS/Framework out there!
JeremyBASS

Post by JeremyBASS »

Exciting stuff to see...
Ted wrote:

global $gCms;
Can be used in the much more clean (globals are icky):

$gCms = cmsms();
Getting a database object will go from:

global $gCms;
$db =& $gCms->GetDb();
to:

$db = cms_db();
Few questions as I have 6 mods I'm write now ...

To keep it backwards compatible should I do something like this?

if(!isset(cmsms())){
global $gCms;
}else{
$gCms = cmsms();
}
same with the db?

Cheers
Jeremy
Pierre M.

Post by Pierre M. »

calguy1000 wrote: We're removing the use_hierarchy option out of 1.7... the system will always use path hierarchies.
This is great news too ! Hand clap. I think it enforces good webcontent practices : mapping of pretty URLs (path hierarchies) and unduplicated content. Thanx again.

Pierre M.
Ted
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ted »

JeremyBASS wrote: Few questions as I have 6 mods I'm write now ...

To keep it backwards compatible should I do something like this?

if(!isset(cmsms())){
global $gCms;
}else{
$gCms = cmsms();
}
same with the db?

Cheers
Jeremy
No need.  I'm not going to break backwards compatiblity on that stuff.  I'm just going to use the cleaner version going forward.
seensite
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by seensite »

Hi,

I'm looking forward to try this release! Is there a hope that it will solve the n°2702-htmlenties bug ?

Best regards
The universe of information technology is constantly growing and contains only emerging products built on successive patches
geeves
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by geeves »

Everything sounds great thus far.

I like the sound of the following 2 features a lot:
1. Thumbnail behaviour!!! WOO HOO
Can I suggest, if possible, that you can configure more than one possible size for thumbnails (ie, small image, medium image). This would greatly help in things like product catalogues. Small image for range/category display, medium image for item details, original/large image for lightbox type image display

2. TINYMCE Lite!!!! Its about time. Content editors are the most overlooked feature of CMSes. A really really really simple one like the default TinyMCE editor in Wordpress would be perfect.

What version is CMSMS v1.x series going to be the cutoff before v2 development commences?
Attachments
wordpress_editor.png
Last edited by geeves on Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ara Garabedian
Multimedia Designer / Developer
http://ara.ifky.com.au

Return to “Announcements”