plugin documentation

Discussion of the documentation project.
loukote
Forum Members
Forum Members

plugin documentation

Post by loukote »

Hi.

I'd like to write a piece of documentation for a plugin, properly. But I can't find the place where it's written how to do it -- either there is no such place or i'm ... (both are possible) Thanks for indicating me the place or telling me how to.

Thanks, Ondra
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Re: plugin documentation

Post by RonnyK »

loukote
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by loukote »

Thanks Ronny. I've seen this page, there are four lines about how to use the help. What I need is how to write one. To be explicit, what i look for is a description about writing help for a plugin.

If I understant it well, every plugin normally contains a function function smarty_cms_function_blahBlah() that is supposed to contain lang(something) and that the something is detailed in TranslationCenter...

Any ideas?
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 03, 2009 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nhaack

Post by nhaack »

Hi Loukote,

I'm not sure about translation for plug-ins if that is what you are looking for. I personally use English description (for plug-ins) as this is the most common language. I place a brief description in the plugin (function smarty_cms_help_function_NAME() and function smarty_cms_about_function_NAME()). Then from the admin panel I click the wiki link so I create the "public" description in the right spot.

You might want to check a plug-in from my signature to see how I handled it as a probable inspiration.

Hope it helps

Best
Nils
loukote
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by loukote »

Hi nhaack,

that's what i did. But there are some other plugins (e.g. last_modified_by) that have a function (smarty_cms_help_function_last_modified_by()) that contains the lang() replacement:

Code: Select all

function smarty_cms_help_function_last_modified_by()
{
  echo lang('help_function_last_modified_by');
}
and that are documented in several languages. Try to google this string:
"Prints last person that edited this page. If no format is given, it will default to a ID number of user ." (Comes from the last_modified_by plugin help)...
_____
ADD:
In other words: How can I become a translator of the admin area? (Is it the right question?)
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 03, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

The reason that some plugins are using TC for translation, is that they are part of the core-package... Non-core plugins don't use TC...

Only modules do, as they have their own set of lang-files.

Ronny
loukote
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by loukote »

OK, I see. Thank you both.

Ondra

Return to “[locked] Documentation0ld”