Accessibility and Standards Compliance

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Accessibility and Standards Compliance

Post by Russ »

I second the need for standards compliance and accessibility to be upmost for the next version.

1 .Certainly adding some optional descriptive titles, optional access key, optional tab index (maybe not  always required if you use a proper document flow and a browser that understands it?)  etc. to the menus would be ideal - this could then be used in other menus. So you could end up with something like:
Home

descriptive title: could default to page title or menu if none given.
accesskey: default to none if none given (there are loads of problems using access keys - so an option)
tabindex: default to 0 ? (need to check out how this works in differing browser) if not given. Maybe would need to be not ncluded if not given?

2. Optional (and optional traget) skip links for main and possibly sub menus. e.g for a top menu

Skip navigation......
Where hide is a class for hiding it if required and #content if the link it will jump to - usually contents but could be something different depending on your source order. See also:
http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... 769.0.html

2. As a minimum for use in the headers :

They are also ones for section, subsection, glossary, start etc. that maybe useful?
CMS Self link maybe able todo this if it can read all modules, currently it cannot seem to read Cataloger items? See also:
http://forum.cmsmadesimple.org/index.ph ... 795.0.html

I've modified a very old version of CMS self link to try and get this to work but it fails with the above 'Cataloger' pages - in any event I'm not so hot on this sort of code and i would probably be better if the newest CMS_self link were adapted or that a different version created for this task. [file attached: function.cms_linkrelhead.php] It does however work upto this point, could do with a better name though :)

3. A proper search which provides a search on everything, including modules and that  is accessible.

4. A simpe image plugin or module which effectively allows you to click on a thumbnail and open it in an other page with classes for CSS. My children would love this. Kind of a post and view in another page scenario - perhaps with some other data fields? I know Cataloger does this but see problem above.

No one who writes proper accessible web sites can do without head and footer previous and next links and the menu stuff given above :)

Feel free to add stuff if I've missed anything out or got something wrong :)

Hope this helps,
Russ

[attachment deleted by admin]
Last edited by Russ on Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
westis

Re: Accessibility and Standards Compliance

Post by westis »

Thanks Russ!
1 .Certainly adding some optional descriptive titles, optional access key, optional tab index (maybe not  always required if you use a proper document flow and a browser that understands it?)  etc. to the menus would be ideal - this could then be used in other menus. So you could end up with something like:
Home

descriptive title: could default to page title or menu if none given.
accesskey: default to none if none given (there are loads of problems using access keys - so an option)
tabindex: default to 0 ? (need to check out how this works in differing browser) if not given. Maybe would need to be not ncluded if not given?
Adding fields for accesskey, tabindex and title to the Options tab when adding/editing a page shouldn't be that hard. The good news is that with CMSMS 0.12 there will be a Menu Manager, which is a menu abstraction system that lets you decide exactly how the output of the menu will be, by changing default templates or adding your own.

Most likely we'll include these fields for Add/Edit page and then these fields will also be in the default menu templates, meaning that if they are empty nothing is output (or title can be the page title), but if they are filled they are output with the information that has been entered.

2. Optional (and optional traget) skip links for main and possibly sub menus. e.g for a top menu
What would you think of having skip links in the default templates instead? That's how they are usually used, links separate from the menu, at the very top of the source code. But that is indeed important and will be in the 0.12 default templates.

There is a debate whether it is better to use skip links or simply let the content come before the navigation in the source code. I have never used a screen reader myself, but I suppose that it wouldn't harm with skip links in either case?

Making templates with content before the navigation is easy with a vertical menu and doable (but a bit more complex for the user to customize) with a horizontal menu. On a site I'm working with right now I have a horizontal menu and a vertical submenu, both of which come after the content in the source code: www.oppnakanalenvaxjo.se/test

That is basically using the CSS Framework at Content With Style, which is using the same HTML for all kinds of different layouts but changing the layout only by CSS.  That article in turn borrows ideas from an absolutely positioned menu technique.

The current default templates are built from the above-mentioned CSS Framework, but for sake of easier customization unfortunately adapted in a way that left out some of the good points (like accessibility things) of that framework (which was before I was knowledgable enough of accessibility).

An alternative default template could be built on the YAML framework, but that is not likely to be for 0.12 (although it soon will be easy to download themes from the CMSMS Themes site).

2. As a minimum for use in the headers :

The latest cms_selflink can do previous/next. But as you point out, there are problems with modules that are using the content list (like Cataloger, not sure if there are other modules that do the same), as well as when the next/previous link has the link content type. But using cms_selflink for the above would also be easy to insert in the default templates. Good point!

As for other header links, I suppose that has to be up to each and everyone to insert in the template, depending on what pages they use on their site. Well, sitemap may be good to link to also, but not everyone includes a sitemap in their page structure. The good thing, however is that cms_selflink doesn't generate a link if a page with that alias doesn't exist.

3. A proper search which provides a search on everything, including modules and that  is accessible.
This is in the roadmap for 1.0.

4. A simpe image plugin or module which effectively allows you to click on a thumbnail and open it in an other page with classes for CSS. My children would love this. Kind of a post and view in another page scenario - perhaps with some other data fields? I know Cataloger does this but see problem above.
Not sure I fully understand what you mean. Kind of like an image gallery? Or inserting an image anywhere in a page and with parameters decide the size of the thumbnail and automatically with a link to the full image?

With 0.12 there will be an {image} tag that lets you insert an image anywhere on a page or in a news article. But as far as I know it doesn't create a thumbnail or link to a full-sized version of the same image. That would have to be done manually in that case. But maybe it can be adapted to do this also, which most likely would be for 1.0 if so (a beta of 0.12 for testing is due out in a few days).

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, this helps us make sites made with CMSMS more accessible!

;D
Russ
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: Accessibility and Standards Compliance

Post by Russ »

Updated: 2005-01-23

OK, first apologies for my delay in replying, but thank you for your extended reply :)

1. On the subject of point one - roll it on :) I think this is just about perfect, if we can also get the next and previous stuff working for the header and the main page then whoopee! [exclamation of delight]

2. I'm sort of torn where skip links should go, it's seems logical to me that they should be part of the menu that would be skipped? I agree it probably isn't as flexible as a separate link, but it just seems right? But I guess I can live with either - it's certainly better than none!

I'm not sure you need to worry about differing layouts or content first stuff. Surely this is for the people creating the website?
See also (for source ordering):
http://www.usability.com.au/resources/source-order.cfm
You might also like this info concerning site maps and navigaton and search. I think I'd probably still like to see an overview site map, but I'd like to see the search be pretty flexible. Task based seems quite a good idea - but should work as a straight search too - perhaps with differing groupings and relevance percentages and perhaps a bit of the main content and a '..more...' link ?
http://www.uie.com/brainsparks/2006/01/ ... revisited/

Not all templates, even the ones that suggest they 'will work' in all situations on all browsers, will actually do as they say. Plus, people will have differing requirements. For example, sometimes 'position absolute' can be an absolute pain in a web site design!
Certainly I'm all in favour of some sensible, accessible, compliant and fluid or jello layouts as standard. This just seems like common sense for the less experienced CMS user - but lets keep them to a minimum.

I think the same applies to all the work which seems to be done on templates. I'm sure it is all very good stuff, but many people are just going to use their own template and pump in their own CSS via the template. This is of course good and is why CMS Made Simple is such a flexible CMS, mmm... I think what I'm trying to say is let's not lose this flexibility or lose sight of the more important issues that many of us face. Which is producing accessible and compliant web sites that are fast enough to use. Basics first (of which accessibility and standards compliance are very much a part) and the fancy stuff later. Many experienced users can do the fancy stuff by themselves right now, they can't do the basics as it's in the core code.

(Don't forget, with user style sheets, the ability to turn of all styles etc., and the variety of displays in differing browsers, we really have little control over what the user will see anyway.)

2. (Two again... my numbering was a bit off ....) I'm with you all the way, can we see it in the next version? This comes under basics!

3. Another Excellent! I think, any chance of it being sooner? Again, this comes under basics!

4. I wasn't that clear was I. What I meant was this:
If a user, for example, creates a thumbnail and puts it on a page and links to another larger images.
If they click on that thumbnail, the larger image will display in a plain empty browser window.
What I was thinking about was some sort {link thingy - specifying the display page with CSS tags} where clicking it would display in a special 'image viewer' page - which would also be a tag which had CSS embedded, so users could put it on their own pages and adjust accordingly. Pretty simple, but could be good for many people you don't need the Cataloger or some photo browser system?

New point 5:
I forgot to strongly support what others in this forum have, namely that logical clean url's based on section/page are a must for accessibility and better web site searching...Again, this comes under basics!
e,g,
http://www.domain.com/index.html
http://www.domain.com/contactus/privacy.html
http://www.domain.com/products/group1/product1.html

New point 6:
As does integrating the new Google file for searching. (I've not tried the plugin yet, but presume it works - but should be standard.)

Thanks again for your reply, I hope this clarifies my poor writing, which in my defence, was done as the 'wrong end of the day'.

Russ
Last edited by Russ on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Feature ideas”