[SOLVED] (Summary added here ) Just met CGFeedMaker and totally flummoxed

Have a question or a suggestion about a 3rd party addon module or plugin?
Let us know here.
Andrew Prior
Forum Members
Forum Members

[SOLVED] (Summary added here ) Just met CGFeedMaker and totally flummoxed

Post by Andrew Prior »

To make CGFeedmaker work I needed to do ths:
1. Fill out Calguy's trial news template with my settings: I just accepted the default.
2. Put the autodiscovery call in my page templates: {CGFeedMaker action='autodiscovery' feed='myFeed1,myFeed2 '} This is to be found in the help for the module.  You need to put it in the section of the template, not the body.
This is what makes the RSS icon show up inthe tool bar of your browser. You can put this in the template you use for a single page, and it will only show there, or you could put it in your default template and it will show in all pages. NOTE for newbies like me: this is the RSS Icon in your browser tool bar, not the one that shows on your page.
3. To get an RSS icon on your page you have to have this code:
{CGFeedMaker action='rsslink' feed='myfeed'} Obviously you change 'myfeed' to whatever name you gave it.
4. Once I worked this out I was directed to a blank page... no feeds. The fun begins.

Note that I am in Australia; we do not use the mmddyy date format

5. You have to work with the default template that goes with your feed. Near the bottom you will find:
{* an example of how to create a feed from a call to the news module *}
    {* you can use any smarty variable that is available in the news summary template *}
    {* you can substitute this logic with output from any module that supports a summary
       view, or possibly get artistic and mix output from different modules *}
    {news assign='junk'}
    {foreach from=$items item='entry'}

{$entry->title}
      {$entry->moreurl}
      {if isset($entry->summary)}{$entry->summary|strip_tags|summarize:40}{else}{$entry->content|strip_tags|summarize:40}{/if}
      {$entry->postdate|us_date_format:"%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S %Z"}
      {$entry->moreurl}
I took out {$entry->postdate|us_date_format:"%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S %Z"}
and replaced it with {$entry->postdate|rfc_date}
This gave a news feed page if I looked in the source code of my browser window but there was still and error and the browser would not display it.

6. Mats alerted me to the code at the top of the original feed template:
{* original rss feed template *}

{$feed.title}
    {if isset($feed.link) && !empty($feed.link)}{$feed.link}{/if}
    {if isset($feed.description) && !empty($feed.description)}{$feed.description}{/if}
This bit
only works for Pretty URL's which I don't have, so I took it out.
Everything works swimmingly.

NEXT PROBLEM!
We use the News module in two ways. Clumsy but it works.
a) When we have a short news post, usually a tip to another site we have a very short line in the summary and some more detail in the detail box.
b) When we post our own articles, we make a news post about it, ONLY using the detail content box.  Those posts show up with a title  and not content in the RSS feed because the default template reads the summary content. So I have modified the template so that it works for us, as below.

ORIGINAL DEFAULT CODE:
{news assign='junk'}

{$entry->title}
      {$entry->moreurl}
      {if isset($entry->summary)}{$entry->summary|strip_tags|summarize:40}{else}{$entry->content|strip_tags|summarize:40}{/if}
      {$entry->postdate|us_date_format:"%a, %d %b %Y %H:%M:%S %Z"}
      {$entry->moreurl}

{/foreach}

OUR CODE
{* an example of how to create a feed from a call to the news module *}
    {* you can use any smarty variable that is available in the news summary template *}
    {* you can substitute this logic with output from any module that supports a summary
       view, or possibly get artistic and mix output from different modules *}
    {news assign='junk'}

{$entry->title}
      {$entry->moreurl}
      {$entry->content|strip_tags|summarize:40}
      {$entry->postdate|rfc_date}
      {$entry->moreurl}

{/foreach}

My thanks to those who helped me.  Andrew

ORIGINAL POST
I needed to upgrade to 1.5 to fix another problem, and now am completely flummoxed by the CGFeedMaker.
I think I am badly missing a whole lot of knowledge, or to put it another way, I have not grasped the concept behind CGFeedmaker  .
This is what my site has:

On this page:
http://scotschurch.org/index.php?page=wiredup

I have this news feed:
{news number = "10" summarytemplate="WiredChurchSummary" detailtemplate="WiredChurchDetail" category="wiredarticle"}
which was operating with makersbutton=true etc. That news feed still operates fine, but I don't know how to add a feed icon/link to it

I can put this code in a trial page:
{CGFeedMaker action='rsslink' feed='wiredup'}
and get a link and RSS Icon, but of course it goes nowhere.

In the Adminstrator Console, I can go to Extensions | Calguys Feed Maker, but then I get lost.
In the Sample News Feed I cannot work out what to put into these fields:
Feed Name/Alias:
Use this page for links:
Feed Link:

I am also unclear what changes I should make to the Template.
I have tried a number of values, and tried to make sense of some of the pages in the wiki, but I think I am missing the point somwhere.

I note also that the help page he says we need to place:
{CGFeedMaker action='autodiscovery' feed='myFeed1,myFeed2 '}
on a page. I assume this goes on the same page as the {CGFeedMaker action='rsslink' feed='wiredup'} link, and that the feed name should be the value assigned to the Feed Name/Alias

If someone could give me some tips on just what values I am putting where, I reckon I can sort out my formatting etc.

Many thanks.
Andrew Prior
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
goodsamaritan
Forum Members
Forum Members

Re: Just met CGFeedMaker and totally flummoxed

Post by goodsamaritan »

This is what I use on my header for autodiscovery:

Code: Select all

{CGFeedMaker action='autodiscovery' feed='news'} 
The default feed for the news articles is news
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

Andrew -->

1. {CGFeedMaker action='rsslink' feed='wiredup'} should work. Including the link.
2.  Feed Name/Alias: give your feed a name. It's that simple. Going off the above call it would be wiredup
    Use this page for links: This is the page you want the links to be loaded into. Home would probably be fine for you
    Feed Link: This is the link back to your site (just like it says below the field) ex: http://scotschurch.org

Put {CGFeedMaker action='autodiscovery' feed='wiredup'}  in your template section. This will create the autodiscovery subscription link in your address bar in your browser.
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
Andrew Prior
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Andrew Prior »

Guys, thankyou so much. Just out of bed, but I'll try this when I get to the desk.  Could be that I have not been putting the auto discovery in the header. I shall report. I appreciate your time.  Andrew
Andrew Prior
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Andrew Prior »

Well, putting {CGFeedMaker action='autodiscovery' feed='wiredup'} in the Template Header certainly makes the icon show up in Internet Explorer. Everything still goes to a blank page, so I will have to try further. Andrew :(
Andrew Prior
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Andrew Prior »

I have made no progress with this problem.
I then tried the site in FF and Chrome.
Instead of the RSS link sending me to a blank page I get the following:
string(134) "Smarty error: [in temporary template line 34]: [plugin] modifier 'us_date_format' is not implemented (core.load_plugins.php, line 124)"    http://scotschurch.org/ Sample RSS Feed for the News module Copyright Rev Andrew Prior, Scots Church Adelaide CGFeedMaker 1.0.3 on CMS Made Simple scotschurch@andrewprior.com (The Webmaster)  http://scotschurch.org/index.php?mact=N ... turnid=162 ...
Fatal error: Call to undefined function smarty_modifier_us_date_format() in /home/scotsch1/public_html/lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php(1935) : eval()'d code on line 56
I thought the date modifier had been fixed, but I am way out of my depth here. Can anyone point me to what this is talking about?
Andrew
RonnyK
Support Guru
Support Guru

Post by RonnyK »

Are you running 1.14.1 version of CGExtensions, as the us_date_format is a function within that version of CGE.

Ronny
Andrew Prior
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Andrew Prior »

Maybe we are getting somewhere, because it said it had version CGextensions  1.9 when I looked it up under the modules???, which must come from CMS 1.4.  I have removed CGFeedmaker and the Questions module, removed CG extensions 1.9 and put on the 1.14.1 and then put the feedmaker etc back.  Now I am getting this error:, because I wondered about upgrading it before, then found I have vs 1.9. Unfortunately I get the same error:

string(134) "Smarty error: [in temporary template line 34]: [plugin] modifier 'us_date_format' is not implemented (core.load_plugins.php, line 124)" http://scotschurch.org New at Scots CGFeedMaker 1.0.3 on CMS Made Simple scotschurch@andrewprior.com (The Webmaster) http://scotschurch.org/index.php?mact=N ... turnid=162 ...
Fatal error: Call to undefined function smarty_modifier_us_date_format() in /home/scotsch1/public_html/lib/smarty/Smarty.class.php(1935) : eval()'d code on line 56

Andrew
joecannes
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by joecannes »

Any luck? I am having the same problems,

JC
Andrew Prior
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Andrew Prior »

Not yet, and I have to do other work today, drat.

Certainly if you have 1.9  the version for CGExtensionsas that is a hangover of CMSMadeSimple vs 1.4, I checked this against another site I have not upgraded to CMSMadeSimple vs 1.5.1. On that site CGExtensions is vs 1.9. However, the upgrade has not changed my error.

It seems the date thing may be the problem. I know this because I took the IE address that the feedlink goes to and began to remove bits of it. That is the link that brings up the blank page and error message is this:
When I begin taking out bits of the parameters, and entering the shortened address string, I sometimes do get a page come up, not that it works as anything you can subscribe to off of course.

Andrew
Andrew Prior
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Andrew Prior »

In the error code there is this:
[plugin] modifier 'us_date_format' is not implemented
In my server cpanel filemanager, I can see that plugin is definitely there.  Andrew
goodsamaritan
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by goodsamaritan »

I have stock LAMP centos 5.x hosting, and this error appears.
I resort to trashing the US Date format with "rfc_date" and it works.
Andrew Prior
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Andrew Prior »

Hey, thanks.  I'm just trying the same in the news template.  It's definitely where the problem is; as soon as I put the rfc_date in, or play around with the it changes the error.  I can't get it to work though.
A semi colon character was expected.
Line: 4 Character: 99

Andrew
goodsamaritan
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by goodsamaritan »

You erase the whole string us_date_format + the parameters and replace it with just rfcdate and it will work.
Andrew Prior
Forum Members
Forum Members

Post by Andrew Prior »

Yes, that's what I thought first off, but it makes no difference. I've done it just replacing the paramenters, and also as you have suggestted.  Dates here, of course at dd mm yy, not like the US, as we are in Oz
Andrew

Return to “Modules/Add-Ons”