Pingback, Quote Me, Microformats

Talk about new features for CMSMS and modules.
kendo451

Pingback, Quote Me, Microformats

Post by kendo451 »

Given the direction that Web 2.0 has been going for some time, it would be quite helpful if CMSMS included some of the basic social networking functionality that helps websites get good search engine rankings.

Because a lot people expect this kind of functionality, and it helps raise their site rankings, adding these two simple features will help CMS Made Simple become more powerful and respected as a content management system.

1. Pingback Client & Server

It would be helpful if there was a pingback system integrated with the core content system, so that you could apply it to any page, not just blog posts.

The client generates pingbacks when you post new content with an external link in it.

The server verifies pingback requests from other websites and posts "what people are saying" link-backs in the comments module for the page being quoted.  Should be human verified before posting.

2. Quote Me Module or Plugin

It would be easier to get other people to link to any CMSMS site if we had a {QuoteMe} that creates a button the reader can click to quote a portion of the page and generate the HTML for Microformated citation (http://microformats.org/wiki/citation & http://microformats.org/wiki/cite-rel) that the user can paste into his blog.  This would include a link back to the CMSMS page and a blockquote of the quoted text.
viebig

Re: Pingback, Quote Me, Microformats

Post by viebig »

great idea about pingback. When I have some time available I will work on that. Maybe someone can help me do it?
kendo451

Post by kendo451 »

I'm not very good at coding.  But I'll try to help.  Are you going to make it a project on the forge?

A further thought - it might be better to separate the pingback from the comments module.  So you just put this tag in your page to allow pingbacks to be listed there: {pingback}

Pingback Server

The module should have an editable template so you can format the pingback from the pingback server:

Code: Select all

<div class="pingback">
<a href="{$pingback_url}">{$pingback_author} at {$pingback_sitename} said</a>:
<blockquote>{$pingback_text}</blockquote>
</div>
The variables for the template might be:
$pingback_url
$pingback_sitename
$pingback_pagetitle
$pingback_text

Process for the server:

1. Receive ping
2. Validate XML
3. Verify that pingback url on this site exists and has a {pingback} tag in the template
4. Verify that the originating URL exists --> $pingback_url
5. Verify the originating URL contains a link to destination URL on this site
6. Return XML pingback to originating client 0 if approved. As per pingback specification.
6. Grab the paragraph before/after the pingback link and place in $pingback_text
7. Grab the sitename and page title and place in $pingback_sitename and $pingback_pagetitle
8. Create the pingback in the database table but set a variable "approved" to "false".
9. Send an email to site admin notifying a pingback is waiting for approval

The {pingback} tag would just to a query to the pingback SQL table for that pageid and for approved=true and output them using the template.

Approval Script
1. Admin logs in and sees a table of pingbacks waiting for approval.
2. Checks the boxes of the ones he wants approved or vice versa.
3. Change the approved status to true for the selected entries.
4. The unapproved ones could be saved or automatically deleted based on admin preference.

Ping Back Client

1. Just search the main content block and/or news and blog blocks for external links when new content is posted.
2. If link has a class="no-ping" then do not ping that link.
3. Else follow the pingback procedure as per the pingback standard.
Last edited by kendo451 on Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viebig

Post by viebig »

ok, I will open this project on forge, I dont know how long I will take do it because my current work load. Request to join, and help mantain it with your specs knowledge.

Let´s make it happen. I´ll probably start next week
kendo451

Post by kendo451 »

Will do.
viebig

Post by viebig »

I´ve registered the project, when it´s available I´ll let you know.
kendo451

Post by kendo451 »

This has been pretty quiet.  Any progress?

Return to “Feature ideas”