How to make a new template?

For discussion and questions related to CMS Specific templates and stylesheets (CSS), and themes. or layout issues. This is not a place for generic "I don't know CSS issues"
koko

How to make a new template?

Post by koko »

Dear All Developer,

I want know how can i make a new theme for cmsMS. At the moment i use Default themes..
For example -->how can i change the Default Logo images.?

Is there any Tutorials ducumentation files for "How to Make" a new templates???

regards,
koko
westis

Re: How to make a new template?

Post by westis »

Hi koko,

Unfortunately there is not yet a tutorial available on how to make a new template. Basically what you need to do is to make changes in the stylesheets that are attached to a given template.

You see some info about what stylesheets are attached to a template and what they contain in the example pages (Templates and Stylesheets). To know how to make changes you need to know a little bit of CSS.

To change the logo, find div#header in the stylesheet called Layout (which affects all templates). There you find the path to the logo:

Code: Select all

background: #385C72 url(images/cms/logo1.gif) no-repeat 0 12px; 

To change this, upload a new logo using the Image Manager (Content -> Image Manager). Then change the line above to the path to the image you just uploaded. Images uploaded with the Image Manager go to uploads/images, so the path should be something like uploads/images/logo.gif. Actually, with 0.11.1 the CMSMS logo will also be in this folder, so you only would have to change the name and not the entire path.

Let us know what else you want to change and we'll try to guide you. I will also try to comment the stylesheets more, to make it easier to know where and what to change. With time there will be a more detailed tutorial available.
koko

Post by koko »

Hi westis,

Thank you very much for you information. Can you explain to create a new Themes example here. ??Just simple Template.

regards,
koko
westis

Post by westis »

Hi koko,

You find some useful info here.

But phplayers was for older versions, now use cssmenu or some other menu instead. Look in the default templates that come with 0.11 and I think you will get a rather good understanding of how they work.

There should be a template tutorial, but I just don't have time to write it at the moment.... :(
searcher

Post by searcher »

Hi all,

I just started working with CMS made simple, really liking the Smarty template engine (i've worked with Smarty before). There are i few things i don't get though.

I like working with an xhtml-strict base, using two stylesheets: layout.css and markup.css. Now i figured this wouldn't be a problem, except for the fact that i can't find a physical location to put my stylesheets/images (there is such a location for admin though). So i created one: `/themes/themename/styles' and `/themes/themename/images' and link to the stylesheets from the css box in the admin section by using @import. So far so good, although this seems like somewhat of a hack. Is there a better way to do this?

I've also noticed that my css gets appended to a master css file? I really don't want this, since it goes against the nice separation i want in my templates (i want to be able to make any page look like anything i want). Is there any way to disable this?

You've all done a great job, i'm gonna look into writing my own modules using Smarty and the API docs after i get this template thing sorted out. Up next: a list style menu :-)

*edit* Looks like one of the modules needed it's own stylesheet included, disabling all the modules i didn't need fixed the appending problem.
Last edited by searcher on Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
koko

Post by koko »

Thankyou all,

I think, i understand now...

here is just testing Site... http://ccgev.de/dev/simple/Home.shtml

cheers,
koko
Last edited by koko on Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Layout and Design (CSS & HTML)”