CGFeedMaker is eminent - RSS will be removed from News.

Project Announcements. This is read-only, as in... not for problems/bugs/feature request.
calguy1000
Support Guru
Support Guru

CGFeedMaker is eminent - RSS will be removed from News.

Post by calguy1000 »

the CGFeedMaker module, a new module that I've just written, under contract to tyman will be released soon.

Once it is tested, and released, I'll be removing the then redundant, limited, and hard-coded RSS stuff from the News module... All of it.  It won't be available in News when CMS 1.5 comes out.

CGFeedMaker is a module that relies on CGExtensions, and will continue to be a third party addon module, but it allows creating RSS Feeds from any module or combination of modules that support summary type displays.  Including Companydirectory, Products, Calendar, Uploads, .... ).

This WILL probably break some sites, requiring those people that need RSS functionality to download, install, and configure CGExtensions, and CGFeedMaker.... but I think the gain is worth the pain.  We will no longer have to worry about adding RSS functionality to this module or that module.  or bugs in the RSS output of this module, or hardcoded templates requiring file modifications, etc.

I thought I'd let you guys know way in advance that this would be happening.
Follow me on twitter
Please post system information from "Extensions >> System Information" (there is a bbcode option) on all posts asking for assistance.
--------------------
If you can't bother explaining your problem well, you shouldn't expect much in the way of assistance.
jmcgin51
Power Poster
Power Poster

Re: CGFeedMaker is eminent - RSS will be removed from News.

Post by jmcgin51 »

Excellent!  No pain, no gain...

Looking forward to it.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

The module has been released and the default install of CGFeedMaker  pretty much works out of the box with News. I can vouch for it's functionality with Products. It works like a charm. It will allow someone to have a valid RSS feed or a non-valid XML feed (with some tweaking of the default template).

The fact that it will work with nearly any module that supports a summary template or action makes this module very versatile. Nice work calguy1000!
If all else fails, use a bigger hammer.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
bryan

Post by bryan »

Specifying a category attribute in the {news} module on a page has no affect when parsing to an RSS feed using the CGFeedMaker module. All of my news articles are listed. Am I overlooking something?
Christophe Lambrechts

Post by Christophe Lambrechts »

bryan wrote: Specifying a category attribute in the {news} module on a page has no affect when parsing to an RSS feed using the CGFeedMaker module. All of my news articles are listed. Am I overlooking something?
I'm having the same question. In the past I had 3 feeds, one with all the post, and two for the twe categories I have. With feedmaker it looks like I need to make more feeds and adjust the template for each.

Can't this be easier?

And then an other thing. I'm using the Prety Url's with an extension like .html. Now my generated autodiscovery links also have a .html. But is not realy what I want. Just plain, or atleast something as .rss or .xml. I have digged in the code, but get stuck on __CreatePrettyLink() in CGExtensions.module.php. Don't know where to find this function and how to modify it in a proper way. Have made it hard coded in the header section, for the mean-time.
Last edited by Christophe Lambrechts on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

ehpotsirhC wrote:
I'm having the same question. In the past I had 3 feeds, one with all the post, and two for the twe categories I have. With feedmaker it looks like I need to make more feeds and adjust the template for each.

Can't this be easier?
Because FeedMaker is designed to be so flexible and allow you to change so many parameters you will need to setup three different feeds. Honestly, I don't know why you wouldn't want it that way. You can specify different Authors, Feed Images, Copyrights, Descriptions, etc for each feed.

Yes you have to adjust the template for each, but since all of your feeds are pulling from News. Generate your first template and copy/paste it into your second feed and adjust your {News} call to fit the parameters that you need. To me this whole seems very easy and straight forward.
ehpotsirhC wrote: And then an other thing. I'm using the Prety Url's with an extension like .html. Now my generated autodiscovery links also have a .html. But is not realy what I want. Just plain, or atleast something as .rss or .xml. I have digged in the code, but get stuck on __CreatePrettyLink() in CGExtensions.module.php. Don't know where to find this function and how to modify it in a proper way. Have made it hard coded in the header section, for the mean-time.
I am not sure how Pretty Url's are handled in CMSMS but I can't imagine it is all that easy. The .html at the end isn't necessarily a bug or flaw of the Module. It is behaving like it should. You set up your site to have .html at the end of your urls and the module and CMS are both rewriting the URL with .html at the end, hence mod_rewrite.

I would venture to bet you are correct that it can be modified to prevent the module from adding the extension. If I have time to look at it I will, but I make no promises as I am not a developer and it would simply be a hack.
M@rtijn wrote: This is a community. This means that we work together and have the same goal (a beautiful CMS), not that we try to put people down and make their (voluntary) job as difficult as can be.
saltydog
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by saltydog »

It is not clear how to make a feed for a specific news category... I'm lost.
Ziggywigged
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ziggywigged »

saltydog wrote: It is not clear how to make a feed for a specific news category... I'm lost.
In your feed template add the category param to:

Code: Select all

{news assign='junk'}
For example:

Code: Select all

{news assign='junk' number='10' category='My Category'}
'number' says to only show 10 items, same as news module.
Take a penny, leave a penny.
saltydog
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by saltydog »

Thank you Ziggywigged, but I can't find any input like {news assign='junk'} in my feed template.. I'm using the deafult news feed.
saltydog
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by saltydog »

Sorry! I found it... Thanks.
saltydog
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by saltydog »

Now, I have changed that line but no news comes out in the 'MyCategory' feed...even thou they are published.
Ziggywigged
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ziggywigged »

To be clear, you are using YOUR OWN category name in the category param, correct? i.e. not 'MyCategory'.
saltydog
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by saltydog »

Ziggywigged wrote: To be clear, you are using YOUR OWN category name in the category param, correct? i.e. not 'MyCategory'.
Yes, of course, sorry for not being so clear.

Anyway, I have seen that the feed is valid for some readers, but not for "Live Bookmarks" in Firefox. So it is not a probem related to the module.

Just one pain: the url of the feed is changed, so I am missing all the subrscribers..:-(
tyman00
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by tyman00 »

From my experience if FF is not picking up the feed correctly it is because something in the Feed is making it "not valid." Try starting again from fresh.

You can try setting up a redirect with .htaccess for those of your subscribers that still have your old Feed link.
Ziggywigged
Power Poster
Power Poster

Post by Ziggywigged »

tyman00 is correct. Use: http://validator.w3.org/feed/ to correct any errors.

Return to “Announcements”